When you were a kid, what was your car of dreams - and what is left of it today?

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
I just had this thought about "Boy, once upon a time I had dreams - and today there is reality. Bugger...."

My car of dreams when I was a young boy:
A Mercedes 500 SEC!

https://c-car-parts-used.com/images/tuning-mercedes-benz-500-sec-03.jpg

http://starmoz.com/images/mercedes-500-sec-16.jpg

And this is, what I'm driving today:
Skoda Fabia or (since 10 months) Skoda Roomster.

http://static.classistatic.de/imagegallery/skoda/fabia/skoda-fabia-sko_fab_01_kb_1.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/cb/Skoda_Roomster_front_20091212.jpg/280px-Skoda_Roomster_front_20091212.jpg

Hence, something has reaaaally gone wrong on my way from childhood to today :D
How about your dream car(s) - and todays reality?

CosmicTrader

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Oct 30, 2015
RSI Handle
CosmicTrader
My whole life of have dreamed of having one of these....

But @Montoya makes me fly this instead.....

Actually, I always wanted a Camaro SS (yellow).
Today, alas I don't drive.

The best auto that I ever owned was a Fiat Spyder 2000....

And here she is.......... Exact color..........
[This is what I drove when I was not on a submarine. Ha. Ha.]

Isn't she a beauty?
At 90 MPH she started to purr like a kitten.
At 120 MPH I started to purr like a kitten.

I had & am still having a GREAT LIFE.
I just LOVE an Adventure..........

Last edited:

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam

I love this ship aka design so much, I can't tell...!! :heart_eyes_cat::heart_eyes_cat::heart_eyes_cat::heart_eyes_cat::heart_eyes_cat::heart_eyes_cat::heart_eyes_cat::heart_eyes_cat::heart_eyes_cat:
Plus, I can't wait for the day when it will be at least hangar ready, finally!!
Hopefully, that this day will come SOON!

ThomSirveaux

Space Marshal
Sep 12, 2014
RSI Handle
Thom_Sirveaux
When I was a kid, I really wanted every single supercar they had available. Lamborghini Coutach? Yes please! Ferrari F50? SIGN ME UP!!!! Porsche 911? Ehh, I hear they have oversteering issues...

Today? I'm driving this bad boi:

2016 Kia Soul EV+ (the plus means it goes to eleven...)

~100mi range, and in the four months that I've owned it, I've only paid $50 out of pocket to drive it. My work has L2 chargers that employees can use for free (assuming they're available, we have about 60 EVs at my site).

That's $50 to drive 3400 miles. No oil changes. It's glorious.

Now I just gotta wait until my lease is up and then I get get a Tesla Model 3, which is my new dream car.

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
When I was a kid, I really wanted every single supercar they had available. Lamborghini Coutach? Yes please! Ferrari F50? SIGN ME UP!!!! Porsche 911? Ehh, I hear they have oversteering issues...

Today? I'm driving this bad boi:

2016 Kia Soul EV+ (the plus means it goes to eleven...)

~100mi range, and in the four months that I've owned it, I've only paid $50 out of pocket to drive it. My work has L2 chargers that employees can use for free (assuming they're available, we have about 60 EVs at my site).

That's $50 to drive 3400 miles. No oil changes. It's glorious.

Now I just gotta wait until my lease is up and then I get get a Tesla Model 3, which is my new dream car.
you poor poor soul.......

Reactions: StdDev

zeddie

Space Marshal
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
Test-Dummy
Mine was the Ferrari 550 Maranello:

now, ... well I don't have a car yet.

If you count what I my dad lets me drive:

a 2015 C400 4Matic:

a 2008 Nissan Rogue, and a 2001 Acura 1.7EL

(lol my dad's on both photos)

The Acura was on its way out when we got the Mercedes in November. Now, as if it knows we got its replacement, it's on its death bed. We can only get the car driven for about 30 minutes before it overheats... so it's basically sitting next to the garage getting rained on and gathering dust, and used for emergency when the other 2 are out.

Yes, that's a very big dent on the hood of the Acura... we just didn't bother getting it fixed since it's been already 15 years. It's got a good life with us. Got involved in a few (3?) crashes, but nothing too serious. Got me my driver's license, my sister's driver's license, and a lot of memories.

The Rogue, we've gotten it after we moved to the new house in 2008, and it's a good car, but it doesn't feel as well built as the Acura. There's a patch of paint on the front bumper that just fell out, the badge is peeling as well, and you hear random creaks and cracks as you open the doors and hit bumps on the road. It's still got large enough storage for most things and is great in the snow with its AWD.

The Mercedes, it's a beast. I've never been in a car as fast as that. 300+hp, 0-100km/h in under 5 seconds. I was honestly scared for my life when the dealership guy took us for its "performance" ride. Very good steering reflex, acceleration and braking, it's scary. Very small turning radius too, and all the sensors and the rear-view camera is a godsend, not to mention the self parallel parking system. I don't think I can live without them now. Also its camera is hidden when not in use, so it never gets dirty unlike most cars (big problem in winter when you actually need it, you can't see anything out of it). Of course, the C63 AMG or C63S is even more extreme, but... we're good with the V6 of the C400... We were originally looking for a C300 new, but seeing it's the same model since 2015, and we can get a C400 for about $2000 more than a C300 of the same year, and in lower mileage, we decided to go for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: A.Santos and StdDev

The Razgriz

Vice Admiral
Jul 24, 2016
RSI Handle
The-Razgriz
Growing up I always wanted a Ford Falcon XB (because of The Road Warrior)
IMG_5273.JPG

Today I have I have a 2003 Mazda Miata and a 1996 Jeep Cherokee. Not too bad, but still would like to find a Falcon XB laying around and build my own Black on Black.
IMG_1747.JPG

IMG_4746.JPG

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
My dream car?

Probably this....and the reason is watching Cannonball Run...

What I am driving

At least the truck you can drive all year round and you can haul just about dang near everything....but word to the wise...if you ever even THINK you might be hauling plywood, drywall, etc...get the long bed...

DarthMatter

Space Marshal
Jul 18, 2016
RSI Handle
DarthMatter
Dream when I was young: Anything Ferrari
Dream today: Anything Koeningsegg (or a McLaren P1. That works to)
Current car: None (I drive the families 201..5? Ford Fiesta or 2016 Volvo XC70 if I need to)

Car I am currently trying to get from my grandma (who don't have a license and my younger brother is the only other one in the extended family that wants it): Volkswagen Jetta Mk 1, from 83. It's classified as an antique car by Swedish law and is therefor free from car-related taxes. :smile:

Forgot your password?