[WTS] CH Combatstick and Throttle

Exarkun007

Commander
Dec 12, 2014
RSI Handle
Exarkun007
I finally did it, I ordered the delta throttle. I thought about it for a while, but I think that'll be the way to go since I don't plan on doing a whole ton of dogfighting in the PU. I may wait and get a warthog stick by itself, or one of those VKB black mamba if I can find one.

Used a bit in AC, I'd say maybe 20-30 hours of use max. Will be in original boxes. Looking for ~ $175.

Reactions: CitizenDad

CitizenDad

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 3, 2014
RSI Handle
SlvmL0rd
I finally did it, I ordered the delta throttle. I thought about it for a while, but I think that'll be the way to go since I don't plan on doing a whole ton of dogfighting in the PU. I may wait and get a warthog stick by itself, or one of those VKB black mamba if I can find one.

Used a bit in AC, I'd say maybe 20-30 hours of use max. Will be in original boxes. Looking for ~ $175.
Trade for stuffs Ex?

rzeznicc

Captain
Mar 6, 2015
RSI Handle
rzeznicc
Would you mind elaborating on what problems it solves and what it creates?
just the major ones on top of my head:
-separation of movement in different axes (involountary movement = noise)
-repetitive strain injury (hand should always have 1 dof removed in the direction of gravity = hand rest)
-anizotropy of movement ranges in upper limb joints (some operations will be much harder manually)
-movement "resolution" of mussle groups in relation to tracking problem (fingers - fine, arm - coarse)

in short, you wont be accurate, and it will hurt after a while

davidcastellani

Rear Admiral
Dec 31, 2013
RSI Handle
davidcastellani
just the major ones on top of my head:
-separation of movement in different axes (involountary movement = noise)
-repetitive strain injury (hand should always have 1 dof removed in the direction of gravity = hand rest)
-anizotropy of movement ranges in upper limb joints (some operations will be much harder manually)
-movement "resolution" of mussle groups in relation to tracking problem (fingers - fine, arm - coarse)

in short, you wont be accurate, and it will hurt after a while
So what's a better long term solution? Traditional HOTAS? Is there a 6DOF solution that wont put that kind of strain on you and be comfortable for longer play sessions?

Would a SpaceNavigator be better?

EpilepticCricket

Space Marshal
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
EpilepticCricket
I don't know if I would recommend a SpaceNavigator or SpaceMouse for use in gaming. It technically can be used as one (often with a custom xml script to rebind the actions), but it's designed from the ground up for 3D modeling/CAD programs. It just isn't meant for gaming. It's super cool in theory, but the implementation and actual use of one most likely isn't going to be a good fit. Especially if you've never actually used the device before.

I used to own one back when I was doing a lot of 3D artwork and it was an amazing tool for that, but I honestly would never consider it for gaming.

Now, if you (or anyone) can get one for cheap and/or come up with a really superb implementation I might get another one for SC, but I'll leave the engineering to other more qualified people lol.

rzeznicc

Captain
Mar 6, 2015
RSI Handle
rzeznicc
So what's a better long term solution?
Would a SpaceNavigator be better?
Space Mouse : read the top comment here for a quick summary of why it doesn't work:
http://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/23sgw2/3d_mouse_support_and_other_thoughts_on_6dof_flight/

...as for 6 DoF control: Soyuz is operated with 2 joysticks, space shuttle by a joystick and a knob - both are unfeasible for dogfighting and racing.
Man has not solved this problem for real world applications, not to speak of virtual ones.

I'm sorry, there is no good solution YET. Keep in mind that human body is not made to naturally control 6 DoFs movement; just see how many people need parallel parking assistant in cars - 2 DoF vehicles. Airplane has only a forward vector and 3 limited rotations yet it takes the best of the best to make a combat pilot.

One also has to realize that the goal of the game is to make you feel like a space ace, and this can be achieved by requiring you to:
-study (or rather come up with yet undocumented) 6dof dogfighting techniques
-practice for thousand of hours
-buy new rather pricey peripherals
-be rater smart and educated to manage it all alone

Which will actually make you a space ace. 99% of players will never qualify because of time , money, learning skill or any combination of these. That is why most games are about "empowering" players, which is selling you the illusion - conscious or unconscious - of being awesome, where in fact you're smashing 2 buttons. This can be easily achieved in PvE, but PvP (the verse) is unforgiving. Most of the "X anxiety" comes from the fact that people don't want to confront their illusions about themselves with the world - see StarCraft or any complex game, where most are spectating, assuming safety position - just my 2c.

As of joystick vs mouse community outcry on star citizen forums, war thunder forums, world of airplanes forums, mechwarrior online forums (you get the idea):

-mouse is a isotonic zero order control(position) non centering device
-joystick is a near isometric(elastic) first order control(velocity) self centering device

apples to oranges

RSI promised "controller agnostic game", whatever it means, but its like 2 teams of people trying to play a game of ball: 1 team with upper limbs, 2nd team with lower limbs. One will have strength and range of motion, second will have dexterity and speed. They will never be equal because they are different on fundamental level.

Sorry but truth tends to be complex.

You can always wait for my controller, but better don't hold your breath :) everything of value in life takes time

Last edited:
Reactions: RipVanDan

Exarkun007

Commander
Dec 12, 2014
RSI Handle
Exarkun007
What were you thinking Slum? The only parts of the PC I can pick up at this point (read: that are out yet) are RAM, PSU, and storage.

Exarkun007

Commander
Dec 12, 2014
RSI Handle
Exarkun007
75$ USD + for shipping eminus :( I just put in the address for the national university of Singapore, so if you live out in the middle of nowhere, it's likely more.

Forgot your password?