3.0.1 Performance, wait, whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Don't jump directly to Yela, instead jump a short time to Daymar, abort the jump, then turn to Yela again. If pirates are on the route between Port Olisar and Yela, they can be avoided by taking a small detour. 3 times is not to bad. At a bad time I had 6 or 7 interdictions between Yela and CryAstro. Me flying a Sabre, pirates in Caterpillars :joy::joy::joy:
Not 3 interdiction's three attempts at resetting the game and trying it again. I honestly do not know how many interdiction's there were just know that its funny to have an interdiction were you can just hold down B and jump again with no cool down.

AstroGimp01

Space Marshal
Jan 31, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroGimp01
For the interdictions, find the Caterpillar (I think they are there to suggest that a device that can pull you out of Quantum is a big piece of equipment), and fly 60-90 degrees away from you original course and away from the Cat - I zoom out about 8-10 Km, point at the destination and resume QD. Worked in the Penguin and Connie over several interdictions yesterday.

'Gimp

AstroGimp01

Space Marshal
Jan 31, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroGimp01
Ran another 4K experiment tonight. Logged onto AUS server, and saw a routine 12-17 FPS with occasional severe FPS drops to 3-5 FPS.

Took a SuperHornet to Levski,saw 3 FPS on approach but once landed back up to average of 15 FPS with occasional severe drops again.

Murdered by no less than 3 elevators, 2 of the big elevators (fell 'under' the elevator, once walking in and once walking out) and once by the Hangar 2 elevator (also fell under the elevator while trying to walk out).

Textures and atmosphere were outstanding at Levski in 4K.

Got all excited because the model of the Arrowhead Sniper Rifle had a scope on it, bought one, flew to Yela, only to find out scope is still not actually implemented - guess I did not notice the scope in the armory the first other times I bought one.

ScreenShot0373.jpg

Pirates were EVERYWHERE. Interdicted twice on way from Olisar to Delamar, jumped by pirates when exiting QD at the OM at Delamar, three interdictions on way from Delamar to Yela, and twice on way from Yela to Olisar. In each case I either powered straight through or altered course about 60 degrees up or down, got to 12-17Km away, then resumed QD. Only attempted combat was when I was jumped at the OM, and it quickly dropped to 5-ish FPS so I just afterburner'ed out and QD'd to another OM where 2 more pirates spawned but I blew past them too.

Very interesting that in about 6 weeks CIG has managed to go from a stuttering unplayable mess at 1080P on my older mid-range rig when 3.0 first dropped, to now almost playable, in combat, at 4K (trade runs are eminently doable and far more visually enjoyable). I am thinking that 3.1 might be truly playable at 4K for me if they continue to make similar strides in performance.

'Gimp

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Ran another 4K experiment tonight. Logged onto AUS server, and saw a routine 12-17 FPS with occasional severe FPS drops to 3-5 FPS.

Took a SuperHornet to Levski,saw 3 FPS on approach but once landed back up to average of 15 FPS with occasional severe drops again.

Murdered by no less than 3 elevators, 2 of the big elevators (fell 'under' the elevator, once walking in and once walking out) and once by the Hangar 2 elevator (also fell under the elevator while trying to walk out).

Textures and atmosphere were outstanding at Levski in 4K.

Got all excited because the model of the Arrowhead Sniper Rifle had a scope on it, bought one, flew to Yela, only to find out scope is still not actually implemented - guess I did not notice the scope in the armory the first other times I bought one.

View attachment 9167

Pirates were EVERYWHERE. Interdicted twice on way from Olisar to Delamar, jumped by pirates when exiting QD at the OM at Delamar, three interdictions on way from Delamar to Yela, and twice on way from Yela to Olisar. In each case I either powered straight through or altered course about 60 degrees up or down, got to 12-17Km away, then resumed QD. Only attempted combat was when I was jumped at the OM, and it quickly dropped to 5-ish FPS so I just afterburner'ed out and QD'd to another OM where 2 more pirates spawned but I blew past them too.

Very interesting that in about 6 weeks CIG has managed to go from a stuttering unplayable mess at 1080P on my older mid-range rig when 3.0 first dropped, to now almost playable, in combat, at 4K (trade runs are eminently doable and far more visually enjoyable). I am thinking that 3.1 might be truly playable at 4K for me if they continue to make similar strides in performance.

'Gimp
How is Arena Commander for combat in 4k? It always plays better than the PU (Alpha patches up to now anyway).

AstroGimp01

Space Marshal
Jan 31, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroGimp01
Ran another test in 4K last night, low to mid-teens FPS with occasional stutters/drops as per normal. Did not take it down to 1440 to check FPS but it was with limited exceptions playable for a cargo run or two.

One interdiction, solo Caterpillar, I took a 60 degree course change and went into AB, got out to 12 Km and resumed course, no sweat - flying the Penguin.

Encouraging results.

To answer @NaffNaffBobFace , In AC or the hangar in 4K I see mid 20-ish occasional 30's FPS (30-40's in 1440 and 50+ in 1080). In all cases though 4K is taxing my GPU, it runs 80-100% occupied where in 1440 it less than 40% usually.

'Gimp

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
To answer @NaffNaffBobFace , In AC or the hangar in 4K I see mid 20-ish occasional 30's FPS (30-40's in 1440 and 50+ in 1080). In all cases though 4K is taxing my GPU, it runs 80-100% occupied where in 1440 it less than 40% usually.

'Gimp
Thanks for the details :)

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
I'm hoping for a Titan series and 128gb of ram as a starter. Still awhile out sadly
I would encourage you to watch Gamer's Nexus on YouTube and research that a bit more. The Nvidia Titan product line is focusing more on machine learning now, and they have benchmarked very little performance gains in gaming for the price you'll pay for each of them.
the top end TI will likely be your best bet when the consumer Volta cards start getting released.

Also research about Samsung's 3D nand coming out soon, cheaper competitor to Optane and faster too.

Wolfy

Space Kitty
Donor
Apr 27, 2017
RSI Handle
WolfytheWarlock
I would encourage you to watch Gamer's Nexus on YouTube and research that a bit more. The Nvidia Titan product line is focusing more on machine learning now, and they have benchmarked very little performance gains in gaming for the price you'll pay for each of them.
the top end TI will likely be your best bet when the consumer Volta cards start getting released.

Also research about Samsung's 3D nand coming out soon, cheaper competitor to Optane and faster too.
I'm planning on using it for some data processing applications as well which it supports decently, though not as well as a Tesla. It is a decent combination between my work projects and gaming.

Forgot your password?