3.18 pushed back

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
For the past few months, they have been saying that IAE will be using 3.18....they have now said that the IAE patch will be 3.17.4 and 3.18 is being pushed back a few weeks until sometime in December.

Our next major update, Alpha 3.18, has begun testing with our Evocati group. This test has proven successful in narrowing down the hurdles that need to be tackled before we open this patch to a wider PTU, and we want to give special thanks to all of those who hopped in.

In a previous Roadmap Roundup, we shared that Alpha 3.18 is targeting a November first-half release just ahead of this year's Intergalactic Aerospace Expo (IAE). After more consideration, especially when evaluating data from our recent Evocati test, we have decided to spend just a few more weeks and target early December for a live release instead. This change will not impact the IAE which will now release in Alpha 3.17.4 patch. This will all be reflected in our next Roadmap update on October 26, but we wanted to communicate early.

We greatly appreciate your patience as we continue to march forward toward getting one of our largest technical hurdles out the door and into your hands. As always, we'll keep you updated along the way.
source https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/citizens/18948-This-Week-In-Star-Citizen

Last edited:

Doc Flanigan

Admiral
Donor
Mar 27, 2021
RSI Handle
Doc_Flanigan
I completely understand the delay, but I have mixed feelings about it. Part of me is happy about the push-back, as I plan to expand my hangar a bit during IAE and don't want a new buggy patch keeping me from putting the new additions through their paces. It does worry me however, that we'll have a rough time while they're on hiatus for the holidays.

Devil Dog Hog

Space Marshal
Jan 28, 2016
RSI Handle
DevilDogHog
I agree that the pushback was probably the best move considering most of the initial tests that they do with patches are always bug ridden and 30 K prone not to mention the death elevators. And considering how many people usually log on for the IAE it’s Best to have something stable and can handle that amount number of player demand.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
So they won't be pulling the usual "new very broken patch + freefly" combo to impress all the newcomers with the most amount of bugs and crashes the game can produce?
WTF, a sensible decision from CIG??? Is CR in hospital or something?
I'm impressed!
Also I'm not surprised, because we were told beforehand that this would happen to this patch in the letter waaay back when.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Honestly, I was expecting this, for a number of reasons.

They want to run a free-fly, there isn't going to be time to de-bug 3.18 enough to have it ready for newbies...

They could make the 3.18 PTU open to everybody but then the 3.17 Live servers would be empty...

And finally, delaying 3.18 to around Jan 1 will put them back "on-time" for the quarterly release schedule, although I really think that is shot to hell...

CRISS9000

Space Marshal
Jul 13, 2016
RSI Handle
criss9000
a sensible decision from CIG
https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/453/383/75e.png

[/sarcasm]

delaying 3.18 to around Jan 1 will put them back "on-time" for the quarterly release schedule, although I really think that is shot to hell...
I also think we should expect 3.18 in late Q1 or in Q2 of 2023. 2023 is going to be the year in which persistence will knock on the door of star citizen. not 2022.

Forgot your password?