AC Experimental Mode: Tank Royale

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
From today 1st October to 7th October there is a Tank Royale mode in AC, it's quite fun and Chat is enebled, ran in to @Jolly_Green_Giant but crashed to desktop before could be blown up by them.

Radar only highlights enemies at about 1,400 meters and under, but if you can spot them you can hit them from further away with a bit of trial and error on the aim, the rounds do dip after a certain distance so if they are far off aim high. Z zooms in while in turret view.

Bugs beware, my canon stopped responding multiple times because I moved to 3rd person view to drive around. If you do that you have to go back into the turret by selecting the switch in normal driving view in the cockpit but even then it then doesn't work anyway so best to stay in the turret view you start in.

Tip: High ground and cover are your friends, you'll live longer and score more if you use them, and beware cresting hills your canon doesn't angle down as much as anyone on the other sides can angle up ;) Try not to tip over but if you do you can use your turret as a self righting mechanism to lever yourself back upright.

Have fun!

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I've had my second go in Tank Royale today, there was an update patch and am happy to report the issues with changing view no longer occur, you can change your view to external to your hearts content! Hurrah! Still have to go internal and activate turret view again but it's an improvement!

For me at least it's not registering the first few hits to my tank now though, although it takes 3 or 4 hits to kill a Nova a lucky shot can knock out your gun on the first strike if it's a lucky hit which would suck garbage if it was in the PU as you'd have spent the best part of an hour getting to the battlefield... Lucky this is AC where there is no setup time penalty - I was climbing a hill and got hit in the engine, fell down the hill in to cover and had to destruct to get a respawn as my assailant could no longer kill me.

There was one point I popped over the crest of a hill to find two tanks having a point-blank blast-a-thon, went in for the GLORY of TEST and rammed one over (side on seems to knock a Nova over quite well) and used it's body to over me while I shot the other one. They both blew up somehow and I ran away so I count that as a victory.

Otherwise it's still good fun, for the Nova main battle tank it's definitely a game of find high cover and snipe away. I had a crap round until I respawned next to a tall hill and then got 3x kills in the last 4 minutes of the game. Came fourth in that one which is my best result to date.

Having played this I'm left with a lot of interesting questions about my Storm tonk though... Will they be better fighters at close range than the Novas which no matter if you are 2km or 200m away from each other take 4 shells to pop a target? What range will the energy canons have? Will the rounds fly faster or slower? Will they be as powerful as the shells? Will it have a better fire rate? Will the Energy Rounds have the fall-off the shells have over distance or will they be more likely to continue in a straight line rather than dipping after a while? A lotta questions indeed.

Todays best score: Just over 6000.
Todays worst score: Minus 700.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
I've had my second go in Tank Royale today, there was an update patch and am happy to report the issues with changing view no longer occur, you can change your view to external to your hearts content! Hurrah! Still have to go internal and activate turret view again but it's an improvement!

For me at least it's not registering the first few hits to my tank now though, although it takes 3 or 4 hits to kill a Nova a lucky shot can knock out your gun on the first strike if it's a lucky hit which would suck garbage if it was in the PU as you'd have spent the best part of an hour getting to the battlefield... Lucky this is AC where there is no setup time penalty - I was climbing a hill and got hit in the engine, fell down the hill in to cover and had to destruct to get a respawn as my assailant could no longer kill me.

There was one point I popped over the crest of a hill to find two tanks having a point-blank blast-a-thon, went in for the GLORY of TEST and rammed one over (side on seems to knock a Nova over quite well) and used it's body to over me while I shot the other one. They both blew up somehow and I ran away so I count that as a victory.

Otherwise it's still good fun, for the Nova main battle tank it's definitely a game of find high cover and snipe away. I had a crap round until I respawned next to a tall hill and then got 3x kills in the last 4 minutes of the game. Came fourth in that one which is my best result to date.

Having played this I'm left with a lot of interesting questions about my Storm tonk though... Will they be better fighters at close range than the Novas which no matter if you are 2km or 200m away from each other take 4 shells to pop a target? What range will the energy canons have? Will the rounds fly faster or slower? Will they be as powerful as the shells? Will it have a better fire rate? Will the Energy Rounds have the fall-off the shells have over distance or will they be more likely to continue in a straight line rather than dipping after a while? A lotta questions indeed.

Todays best score: Just over 6000.
Todays worst score: Minus 700.
Thank you for being brave and testing this! Thank you for your service!

Reactions: NaffNaffBobFace

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Thank you for being brave and testing this! Thank you for your service!
No worries, 'tis just a game and I'm not military but some players getting 15+ kills per match appear to be... The experimental mode also isn't like going in the PU to test either so it's not like I'm going out of my way to go through hardships or anything.

if you ever enjoyed the old physics games where you were a tank trying to land a shell on another tank firing back at you, sniping with a Nova reminds me of that.

Pro-tip. Nova climbs steep hills better in reverse.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lorddarthvik

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
It aint no world of tanks that's for sure.

Reactions: NaffNaffBobFace

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Today every time I was hit once, I was immobilised.

That was not fun.

Previously it was being able to struggle on in some way or having one part of the tank damaged but today for some reason it was one-hit-KO but still had to be hit 3 more times to blow up. Ended up with a score of minus several thousand as once immobilised just hit the self destruct. Pointless waiting for death when you can hit the insta-respawn.

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Today I won my first match, followed not long after a loss by a second win, Hooray apparently I get a Tank Commander 2953 Spectrum badge!

Having got over the emotional damage that was Tuesdays issues with being KO'd but not killed in one shot I'm really looking forward to the Team Tonk experimental mode coming later in the schedule. Melted a random medium fighter and CCU'd an LTI token to the TONK so I now have a Storm and a Nova... hope the experimental Tonk Royal becomes a fixture as it would suck spuds having to go get a repair or a new Tonk in the 'Verse every time it got totalled.

Last edited:
Forgot your password?