Anvil Gauss Rifle! For real!

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
How Cool is that! and yes, you can* buy it!
*soonTM, just like with flying cars!

View: https://youtu.be/eAHKS0nVlL4

(Test firing at the end of the vid, footage from a backup gun match coming up tomorrow!)

This is a fully 3D printed development model, not yet ready for mass production, but it is made with that in mind (according to the arcflash guy, see previous vid on channel). This is not just a one-off garage build as supposedly multiples of this were delivered to early adopters for feedback.

Current issues I see:
Muzzle velocity makes it rather useless (around 70m/s with 50g projectile) but the capacitor technology will get there soon where this is actually more practical and not just a very very cool toy, again according to the guy from arcflash.
Unstablizied rounds (projectiles tumbling right out the gate) cos there is no contact between the barrel and the projectile, thus rifling wouldn't work at all.
The size and weight is ridiculous for the very limited range and amount of energy it delivers on target.

Overall issues:
Reliability entirely depends on unserviceable parts (it's made of electronics, you can't just field strip a capacitor and clean out the mud to make it run again lol)
It's fragile a f. You gotta worry about the caps not getting bahsed/punctured, water ingress and even condensation, violent shaking and hits... You can't just bash it against the ground to make it run again lol
High power electronics are expensive. Just on the lowest level, think of all the copper windings that went into this thing! Then it will require computer boards, power supply parts and so on. Basically every single thing that makes this mass driver functional is electronics.
Heat. Waaay too much heat, that you can't get around without adding a ton of mass to absorb and/or dissipate it. You can't just change the barrell to solve an overheating, cos that is the least important part. It's everything else around it that gets hot and will blow up.

So, will we see these in 5-10 years used in the field? Nah I don't think this will be viable, ever. It's way too expensive and unpractical in a million ways. You would need to effectively waterproof yet ensure it cools fast enough, all the while make it modular enough for field repairs with parts that are just way too fragile and expensive. As long as you can get a 100+ casings made out of a single coil in this, the classics will remain in service. Unless this thing can come up with an ace against something new that everyday boomsticks can't overcome (and I can't think of anything that those can't do), it won't happen.
Still it looks like a helluva lot of fun to just plink away at targets!

Devil Dog Hog

Space Marshal
Jan 28, 2016
RSI Handle
DevilDogHog
Brass case filled with explodey powder and plugged with a chunk of lead seems primitive by comparison but it sure does work.

Going to be a while before there's a better option but I love seeing the progress.

Thanks for sharing :o7:
If it aint broke, dont fix it. Especially if you had a 6 pack of beer before fixing it.

White Lando

Vice Admiral
Donor
Nov 25, 2021
RSI Handle
White_Lando
If it aint broke, dont fix it. Especially if you had a 6 pack of beer before fixing it.
Facts but that shouldn't stop people from working on technology that could eventually surpass it.

The bar is set pretty high, though.

They're basically in the same boat as the poor bastard that was hired to direct Terminator 3

Devil Dog Hog

Space Marshal
Jan 28, 2016
RSI Handle
DevilDogHog
Facts but that shouldn't stop people from working on technology that could eventually surpass it.

The bar is set pretty high, though.

They're basically in the same boat as the poor bastard that was hired to direct Terminator 3
I would like to see this scaled down to a .22 cal. I think it might be easier to get the speeds they need to make it more competitive against traditional smokeless powders and even hunting air rifles.

White Lando

Vice Admiral
Donor
Nov 25, 2021
RSI Handle
White_Lando
I would like to see this scaled down to a .22 cal. I think it might be easier to get the speeds they need to make it more competitive against traditional smokeless powders and even hunting air rifles.
Air rifles are getting insane. Met the guy that currently (as of a year ago, not sure if it changed) holds the longest shot with an air rifle. I think it was around 1,100 yards.

It's impressive stuff.

ETA: UpNorthAirGunner was the guy I met. 1,250 yards.

Looks like the new record is 1,400 yards, though.

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Not living somewhere I can use or own firearms without a load of licences out my arse and a good excuse (the good excuse is a requirement to own an Uzi even if you have a tonne of licences) I have, since I learned about them, been taken with the concept of the GyroJet, which were guns with Rocket propelled rounds rather than the usual cartridge charge and bullet configuration.

I think the concept just happened too early and modern materials and techniques would make their manufacture more easy, efficient and accurate these days. One of the issues of the GJ was that it had a low mussel velocity, only attaining a high energy speed once it had flown a distance from the gun firing it (A traditional round leaving the gun at it's highest speed, a rocket projectile having to launch and gain speed over distance as the motor continues to provide thrust).

I note it was mentioned in the OP the gauss has an issue in that no contact means no rifling to spin and stabilise the round, I think a rocket shell which used the rockets to spin the round as the GyroJet did would solve that issue, and the Gauss could solve the low launch speed of the GJ round, with both combined giving the potential to take the rounds to hyper velocity speeds...?

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Not living somewhere I can use or own firearms without a load of licences out my arse and a good excuse (the good excuse is a requirement to own an Uzi even if you have a tonne of licences) I have, since I learned about them, been taken with the concept of the GyroJet, which were guns with Rocket propelled rounds rather than the usual cartridge charge and bullet configuration.

I think the concept just happened too early and modern materials and techniques would make their manufacture more easy, efficient and accurate these days. One of the issues of the GJ was that it had a low mussel velocity, only attaining a high energy speed once it had flown a distance from the gun firing it (A traditional round leaving the gun at it's highest speed, a rocket projectile having to launch and gain speed over distance as the motor continues to provide thrust).

I note it was mentioned in the OP the gauss has an issue in that no contact means no rifling to spin and stabilise the round, I think a rocket shell which used the rockets to spin the round as the GyroJet did would solve that issue, and the Gauss could solve the low launch speed of the GJ round, with both combined giving the potential to take the rounds to hyper velocity speeds...?
What an outlandish idea! I love it!

Just talking out of my aaa here, as is usual:
One of the issues of GJ was that it was kinda inaccurate due to only gaining speed and spin rate after a while compared to regular ammo, and the spin rate was not good enough even at longer distance. I saw a video of this a while back of someone test firing like 5 of those and the results were rather mehh, and very inconsistent. If i rememebr correctly it had a double Bang system, first a regular charge would be set off to start it, and then the rockets would start. The regular bang part would have to be removed probably if used in a gauss rifel. As the gauss doesn't add spin, the issue remains, no stabilization early on.
Anyways, disregarding all that and imagining that todays manufacturing and engineering is far enough ahead to overcome those issues:
Adding the GJ to the current system would mean:
- a proper chamber for the projectile along with a mechanism to load it and set off the ignition
- non conductive but tough snug barrel (probably carbon or fancier composite which is kinda expensive), limiting ammo to a single size, currently it's adjustable on the fly
- very accurate fuse in the projectile, as in miliseconds for proper ignition timing to happen while still on it it's way in the barrel cos it needs to start spinning asap for the whole thing to have a point
- projectile would be complex and probably pretty large, with the GJ in one end and a solid piece of steel on the other, compared to just a solid steel slug
- probably a lot more things, but I just received a 1 liter bottle of Grant's in return for some custom 3D printed rim center caps, so I'm off to examine it's contents

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
What an outlandish idea! I love it!

Just talking out of my aaa here, as is usual:
One of the issues of GJ was that it was kinda inaccurate due to only gaining speed and spin rate after a while compared to regular ammo, and the spin rate was not good enough even at longer distance. I saw a video of this a while back of someone test firing like 5 of those and the results were rather mehh, and very inconsistent. If i rememebr correctly it had a double Bang system, first a regular charge would be set off to start it, and then the rockets would start. The regular bang part would have to be removed probably if used in a gauss rifel. As the gauss doesn't add spin, the issue remains, no stabilization early on.
Anyways, disregarding all that and imagining that todays manufacturing and engineering is far enough ahead to overcome those issues:
Adding the GJ to the current system would mean:
- a proper chamber for the projectile along with a mechanism to load it and set off the ignition
- non conductive but tough snug barrel (probably carbon or fancier composite which is kinda expensive), limiting ammo to a single size, currently it's adjustable on the fly
- very accurate fuse in the projectile, as in miliseconds for proper ignition timing to happen while still on it it's way in the barrel cos it needs to start spinning asap for the whole thing to have a point
- projectile would be complex and probably pretty large, with the GJ in one end and a solid piece of steel on the other, compared to just a solid steel slug
- probably a lot more things, but I just received a 1 liter bottle of Grant's in return for some custom 3D printed rim center caps, so I'm off to examine it's contents
Talking out of my arse is all I ever do, like I ever knew what I was talking about 😅

A benefit of the GJ is it doesn't need a snug barrel and in the original models the barrels were indeed vented along the length, so the electromagnetic suspension would work with it and also the ignition of the rocket motor wouldn't have to be percussion either - an electrically fired charge would fit with the electric nature of the rest of the device, can be better monitored and controlled by its computers, and mean the need for chamber modification would be minimal if at all beyond only needing vents added for the rocket exhaust to exit or indeed the charge could be timed to activate only once it had exited the barrel.

The hollow version of the round in the Gauss video indicates the projectile doesn't need to be consistently solid metal all the way through from front to back so it seems viable that there could be a motor chamber addition...

If the Gauss could launch the projectile at high enough speed the rocket may only be needed to provide spin for accuracy, however while it's there why not use it to get more velocity too?

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I've had an IP waiting to develop for years that is totally next generation firearms. It stands head and shoulders above the best battle rifles known today in about a dozen ways. The problem is, it will take about ten million dollars and five years to develop. That's a steep ask. The IP is worth it, and US Army would likely fund the first phase of development, but I'm getting old and can't continue doing everything myself. Really need a hard working CFO willing to invest himself for the possibility to earn $100M in 5 years.

I have already vetted the IP with a PhD who specializes in arms and armor for the US Navy Research Lab and US Army Picattiny Arsenal, and confirmed all my calculations. He agrees is it the biggest breakthrough in firearms in more than a century. Let me know if you know someone who might take an interest and under NDA I can explain the concept in detail.

Reactions: Lorddarthvik
Forgot your password?