Gaming slump...help :C

NeoHelios_SC

Vice Admiral
Apr 18, 2015
RSI Handle
NeoHelios_SC
Star control 2 / the Ur-Quan masters. Great old-school space opera with a very deep story and open galaxy to explore. Pretty hand-drawn graphics and a wide variety of aliens and ships. Plus a lot of good humor...
That reminds me of another "genre" that takes a while to get old for me: comedy! If a game can give me a good laugh, then it has staying power in my catalog. For example, I'm a South Park fan, and find that The Stick of Truth makes for a pretty good distraction for a few hours. Of course, it gets old with repetitive dick and fart jokes, but no game is perfect, and I'm just illustrating a point. Maybe give "comedy" a go, like BattleBlock Theater, the Borderlands series, or the Deponia series depending on your style of humor; there's quite a bit of variety out there.

dubbzy

Admiral
Dec 23, 2014
RSI Handle
dubbzy104
If you can find stick of truth for =< $10, its a great, hilarious ~10-12 hours. I didn't feel like the jokes were too repetitive, and there were so many topics and style of humor. Unlike Borderlands, which almost got annoying with its humor. Like I get it, you're making me fetch another item. You don't have to be so uppitty in my face about humor humor humor

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
If you can find stick of truth for =< $10, its a great, hilarious ~10-12 hours. I didn't feel like the jokes were too repetitive, and there were so many topics and style of humor. Unlike Borderlands, which almost got annoying with its humor. Like I get it, you're making me fetch another item. You don't have to be so uppitty in my face about humor humor humor
Beat stick of truth, dont like the bordwrland series, battleblock got boring and got bored of x3 and rebirth real quick...

NeoHelios_SC

Vice Admiral
Apr 18, 2015
RSI Handle
NeoHelios_SC
...or you can do like I'm doing now in-between games: marathoning YouTube LP's while taking apart / fixing broken electronics around my house and for friends :) Did you know that you can mix Super Glue with Baking Soda to make a really strong crack filler for worn out plastics? Don't get me started on first-person-view quad copters! Did I mention the Metal Earth thing, yet?

But seriously, I hear ya about games missing a step lately. Sometimes I get burned out, and just have to take a break. No amount of games fixed that. One of my recent remedies: I took a "Bob Ross" oil painting workshop with the wifey, and impressed myself with the results. As mentioned, I'm brushing up on my old electronics and soldering skills. As much as I hate to admit it, there's more out there than games. What is something that you could teach other people about? How do you become more engaged with that or take it to the next level or possibly combine it with another activity?

Aside, I don't want to overstep the bounds of the conversation, here, but I'd also like to put in a mention for the possibility of depression. Speaking from personal experience, if you feel like there is a growing "what's the point" emptiness that can't really be filled for more than a few days with "distractions", then you might want to talk to some friends or family or even a healthcare professional. I'm not necessarily implying anything, but I just want to possibly rule that out. It is a real, "I never thought that could happen to me" thing, and it will sneak up on people and take them by surprise.

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
...or you can do like I'm doing now in-between games: marathoning YouTube LP's while taking apart / fixing broken electronics around my house and for friends :) Did you know that you can mix Super Glue with Baking Soda to make a really strong crack filler for worn out plastics? Don't get me started on first-person-view quad copters! Did I mention the Metal Earth thing, yet?

But seriously, I hear ya about games missing a step lately. Sometimes I get burned out, and just have to take a break. No amount of games fixed that. One of my recent remedies: I took a "Bob Ross" oil painting workshop with the wifey, and impressed myself with the results. As mentioned, I'm brushing up on my old electronics and soldering skills. As much as I hate to admit it, there's more out there than games. What is something that you could teach other people about? How do you become more engaged with that or take it to the next level or possibly combine it with another activity?

Aside, I don't want to overstep the bounds of the conversation, here, but I'd also like to put in a mention for the possibility of depression. Speaking from personal experience, if you feel like there is a growing "what's the point" emptiness that can't really be filled for more than a few days with "distractions", then you might want to talk to some friends or family or even a healthcare professional. I'm not necessarily implying anything, but I just want to possibly rule that out. It is a real, "I never thought that could happen to me" thing, and it will sneak up on people and take them by surprise.
In the military and i'm a squad leader being infantry. I spend 12 hours a day teaching a platoon of guys, i get burnt out of teaching at the end of the day since about half of them are idiots -.-

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
Fine. You leave me no choice... Just remember. You asked for this...
One.
Finger.
Death.
PUNCH!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/264200/

(If that doesn't work, then Imma say Clicker Heroes, LOL)

Done! I'm tapped out. Don't know what else to say. :)
own one finger death punch, its fun but not what im looking for and clicker heroes is boring...i've played way to many games -.- i think ive done this to myself.

gladestone

Vice Admiral
Mar 8, 2015
RSI Handle
gladestone
If your into rpg..Not many have played it only a handful on test..Vines myself an doozie for all i know..Its called Pillars of eternity its in the vein of baldurs gate 1 and 2 and icewind dale, its a awesome fun time. Sends you back a few years when games where great and stories where fun..If your a big rpger, play poe..Its first expansion just launched this week.So there you go have fun..If you buy it let me know how you like it..God speed or maybe its just time for a br4eak from the gaming for a bit..Its no shame ive gone through this in the 40 year history i have in gaming..

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
Pillars of eternity AI was pretty bad when I played it, they were erratic in their behavior. Ai, wise. I stopped when I had trouble gettiny my guys properly through a door and they were getting curb stomped because they couldnt keep a proper formation that I had pre set for them and they kept changing it.

NeoHelios_SC

Vice Admiral
Apr 18, 2015
RSI Handle
NeoHelios_SC
I haven't tried Pillars of Exile, yet, but I hear the big draw is story and experience rather than tactical combat. If you are into tactical stuff, have you tried the newest X-com (Enemy Unknown)? I'm not a tactical gamer, but I have read that it is something along those lines. Or maybe Frozen Synapse.

Oh, and my current flavor of the month: have you ever tried Dwarf Fortress?

dubbzy

Admiral
Dec 23, 2014
RSI Handle
dubbzy104
I'm probably gonna buy Space Rangers 2 HD in the next couple days. Anyone have any thoughts on that game? It sounds like it could be a good way to spend a lot of time

mjrcooke

Vice Admiral
Sep 6, 2015
RSI Handle
GMT +2
I'm probably gonna buy Space Rangers 2 HD in the next couple days. Anyone have any thoughts on that game? It sounds like it could be a good way to spend a lot of time
It is a fun game. If its on sale on steam, you should definitely get it :). You got space combat, ground combat (once you figure it out, it will be a no brainer) and text adventure. It can keep you hooked up for quite a while.

mjrcooke

Vice Admiral
Sep 6, 2015
RSI Handle
GMT +2
Have you tried Dying Light? Decent game. It has some RPG elements and its definitely NOT a horror.

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
Beat dying light and are we talking x-com 2? Otherwise ive played all the x-coms, #2 intrigue's me because it starts of with you losing from x-com enemy unknown.

mjrcooke

Vice Admiral
Sep 6, 2015
RSI Handle
GMT +2
You should probably make a list of all the games you've played. I know its tedious, but it beats us guessing :p.

Nexus? To me, this is the best game i've ever played. If you like strategy and spaceships, this is it.

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
Well I already stated metal gear solid 5 has scratched this itch, but the games i've played is over 200 easily that is a list I dont dare tackle. Continuing this thread might as well be games people love to play from here on out until I get bored with MGS5 which from how its playing wont happen before fallout 4 comes out, soo that would probably also keep me company till, "The division" comes out so i'm pretty safe from here on out with halo 5 as well.

NeoHelios_SC

Vice Admiral
Apr 18, 2015
RSI Handle
NeoHelios_SC
Let's assume The Division will only delay the inevitable. You'll get bored of that, too. What are you 'really' trying to find with gaming? I don't want to sound like a shrink, but perhaps there is an underlying solution, here. You can only throw money at something for so long...

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
Let's assume The Division will only delay the inevitable. You'll get bored of that, too. What are you 'really' trying to find with gaming? I don't want to sound like a shrink, but perhaps there is an underlying solution, here. You can only throw money at something for so long...
Uh, im looking for games I dont get bored of easily? The solution is good games >.> there is no underlying thing here.

Forgot your password?