Holy mole-y - new info / video

LoicFarris

Vice Admiral
Donor
Mar 1, 2019
RSI Handle
LoicFarris
It's not a solo ship, this is strictly designed for cooperative mining and thrives in situations where a prospector or group of prospectors would struggle. It's essentially designed for the next level of rocks.

Starscribe

Grand Admiral
Dec 14, 2019
RSI Handle
Starscribe
It's not a solo ship, this is strictly designed for cooperative mining and thrives in situations where a prospector or group of prospectors would struggle. It's essentially designed for the next level of rocks.
Yup. Got all that from the video. What wasn't 100% clear was whether it was impossible to single turret mine and fly (simultaneously); if I can use it as a glorified Prospector with bigger storage solo and to its full potential multi-crew, it will be more appealing to me. I've got the Orion so hopefully I'll get a Mole as the loaner before deciding.

My Freelancers, Cutlass, Terrapin (once implemented properly) and Super Hornet are not (strictly) solo ships either - but all can do a job solo. Just wondering if this can too. BoredGamer specualted in one of his Twitch streams it might. The video hinted it couldn't. I'm looking forward to finding out.

Last edited:

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Yup. Got all that from the video. What wasn't 100% clear was whether it was impossible to single turret mine and fly (simultaneously); if I can use it as a glorified Prospector with bigger storage solo and to its full potential multi-crew, it will be more appealing to me. I've got the Orion so hopefully I'll get a Mole as the loaner before deciding.

My Freelancers, Cutlass, Terrapin (once implemented properly) and Super Hornet are not (strictly) solo ships either - but all can do a job solo. Just wondering if this can too. BoredGamer specualted in one of his Twitch streams it might. The video hinted it couldn't. I'm looking forward to finding out.
They were pretty clear on the fact that the pilot only flies and has no control over the mining lasers. Not sure where the rumor the pilot would be able to do more came from or why it persists.

Starscribe

Grand Admiral
Dec 14, 2019
RSI Handle
Starscribe
They were pretty clear on the fact that the pilot only flies and has no control over the mining lasers. Not sure where the rumor the pilot would be able to do more came from or why it persists.
That's how I heard it; pilot flies - the central mining turret controls are below. But it wasn't unequivocal in ruling the pilot out. Was it? 🤔

It was BoredGamer that got me thinking the pilot might have central 'drill' access. Probably not. Still hoping so! If not.. I may have to make.. friends.. 🤨

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
That's how I heard it; pilot flies - the central mining turret controls are below. But it wasn't unequivocal in ruling the pilot out. Was it? 🤔

It was BoredGamer that got me thinking the pilot might have central 'drill' access. Probably not. Still hoping so! If not.. I may have to make.. friends.. 🤨
Well, you my friend, have thousands of friends who don't mind drinking beer and break rocks.

But yes it has three mining turrets that require three miners plus the pilot to fly. It also has a co-pilot seat but right now it doesn't do anything besides allow someone to be the designated spotter and free them up to drink even more beer.

Starscribe

Grand Admiral
Dec 14, 2019
RSI Handle
Starscribe
Well, you my friend, have thousands of friends who don't mind drinking beer and break rocks.

But yes it has three mining turrets that require three miners plus the pilot to fly. It also has a co-pilot seat but right now it doesn't do anything besides allow someone to be the designated spotter and free them up to drink even more beer.
Liking the sound of the first bit; it's why I joined. :o7:

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
There are no dumb questions there are only dumb answers 🤪 😂 🍻

Don't see a problem solo mine with it, sure it wont be as easy as in prospector but you would have twice the mining storage so might be a very lucrative.
I say it all depend on how much in a hurry you are, I for one take all the time in the world either I 'm in prospector or fps mining..

But guess we'll see when it's done and things have change before on ships when there is to much noise (salt) 🤣

🍻

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
That's what I was looking for! Huge thanks!

Hmm.

I can see it would be unbelievably tedious but possible to do this in space; on a planet.. I think not viable.

Can verify this as of tonight. Both possible and tedious.
Drives like the brick it resembles, but has all the needed amenities.

This one will make a lot of money.

Last edited:

LoicFarris

Vice Admiral
Donor
Mar 1, 2019
RSI Handle
LoicFarris
Liking the sound of the first bit; it's why I joined. :o7:
I was about to say, you're in an org with a bunch of drunken miners, drunken marines, drunken pilots who all think they could teach Top Gun, drunken sca... you get the point. Anyway, get your Mole, I'm grabbing one too, and if you want I'll point your laser at any rocks that tickle your fancy if you'll do the same for me. :like:

Can verify this as of tonight. Both possible and tedious.
Drives like the brick it resembles, but has all the needed amenities.

This one will make a lot of money.
So you got to drive one? I don't know why I'm excited about this ship. It's the most non-sexy looking brick. I mean it's like driving down the highway and seeing a front loader and thinking in a hillbilly accent... that's a mighty fine piece of machinery you've got there mister, yep I'd love to get my hands into her manifold if you get my drift... I think I went from hill billy to Uncle Eddie from Christmas Vacation... anyway. Not sexy but want it... jealous... and you got to fly it... what the hell.

Reactions: Vavrik

LoicFarris

Vice Admiral
Donor
Mar 1, 2019
RSI Handle
LoicFarris
I hope so! It does bother me that, usually, an hour or two of pew pew in my Superhornet or Freelancer MIS (underrated ship of the century!) shooting bounties is always more profitable than mining.
For now, we haven't been "encouraged" to test mining since 3.2 when it was introduced. It'll come back.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
In the name of TEST Weapons Research Lab I offer up my Starfarer as sacrifice when this thing becomes flyable, to see how fast those three mining lasers cut through a ship and which heads are best for that purpose (I have a starfarer loaner too so we should be able to get at least two good runs before the insurance timer becomes an issue).

The prospector was potent enough with its single, but three of them? The only issue is going to be getting close enough range but where there is a TEST there is a way.

Forgot your password?