Is the Perseus useful to the org?

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Of all the concepts they could have gone for, this is not the most interesting.
Yeah, I'm having a hard time theory crafting a role for it. Somebody on reddit had a great line, they said the Hammerhead "punches down" in that it is meant to take out smaller craft, & the Polaris "punches up" in that its Size 10 Torpedoes are meant to clear out capital ships. So what is the role of the Perseus?

If it doesn't have any torpedoes, then it will be highly vulnerable to torpedo boats that will be able to target it from 15-20km away (or more). If it only has Size 7 guns, it won't have the range to take on capital ships before they could take it out...

So, I'll be very interested in the specs of the thing. I'm hoping that they will give some good details, otherwise, I'll just wait (as @Vavrik said) for the great big ship of IAE 2951 or 2952...53...54...etc.

Aw, who am I kidding, I'll probably buy one just because of FOMO...

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I think we probably know all there is to know about it from all the datamining and pictures.

Question is, will this be a useful ship?

At the moment, taking out a Hammerhead is not hard, a few Eclipse torp runs and its done.

With improved countermeasures making this a bit tougher, having a gunship like the Perseus makes sense, but having 4-5 Ares Infernos does the same thing.

So many questions.
Is it responsible? No?! Then yes!
Yes, the answer is, undoubtedly, yes.
Because it's nose is a spear... and therefor the perfect ship to ram our enemies with while blasting those cannons.
View attachment 19504
The soundest of logic!
TEST is going to generate so much revenue when the game goes live no ships will be beyond reach

we won't need to be bargain hunters

before those revenue streams kick in there may be better ways to spend Org cash

like representing TEST at Star Citizen events when they resume
Yes, but ramming! And also, this sounds so.... Responsible. What the fuck is responsible?!

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
Somebody on reddit had a great line, they said the Hammerhead "punches down" in that it is meant to take out smaller craft, & the Polaris "punches up" in that its Size 10 Torpedoes are meant to clear out capital ships. So what is the role of the Perseus?
What if, ironically, the Perseus' role is to punch its own weight? It becomes a Hammerhead/Polaris/Perseus hunter? People including HH and Polaris in a fleet to take out fighters and cap ships, then you roll in with the Perseus and take them down.

Perhaps it will be much more nimble than the other two in the class. Allowing it not only to dodge torpedoes that threaten the others, but also to get it in position and ram them. I'll probably be getting one, but I'm also holding off on applying a Carrack to HH upgrade. So we'll see in a few days.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace

GPcustoms

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 3, 2019
RSI Handle
GPcustom
Wow....Tough decision Obi Whan Cannelloni!
I just wanted to remind you of one thing...Every man is really a 12year old in an adult body...Its a toy and one should always think in an appropriate and mature manner when taking on such an expense and commitment.:o7:
Gimmie, Gimmie,Gimmie, Gimmie, Gimmie, Gimmie, Gimmie...:like:
I haven't found a toy yet that I could live without!
Hail the 12 year olds piloting Auroras:drunk:

Thugari

Space Marshal
Mar 11, 2016
RSI Handle
Thugari
In all honesty, i would say no. there will already be quite a few perseus in test available at a moments notice. one thing this org is not missing its its share of ships. I say save the money go go elsewhere.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
I think we probably know all there is to know about it from all the datamining and pictures.

Question is, will this be a useful ship?

At the moment, taking out a Hammerhead is not hard, a few Eclipse torp runs and its done.

With improved countermeasures making this a bit tougher, having a gunship like the Perseus makes sense, but having 4-5 Ares Infernos does the same thing.

So many questions.
Unless there is something truly special about it, no.

With what we already have it is a slot we don't need filled.

The two slots that we are likely to need filled is a Fighter Carrier (more capacity than a Kraken) and an LHA, once they get around to that.

Last edited:

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
has anyone gotten any early bird emails for concierge with this yet? im surprised there isnt one.
You haven't gotten an email?
Screenshot from 2020-11-28 07-10-50.png

I say, old chap, you haven't spent enough money yet!

(I'm joking, I haven't gotten an email either...the rumor on reddit was that only people who were at 25k and over got an email...)

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I know its still a few minutes away from the big relveal but I would caution against calling it a Cap killer as it looks more likely to be a large ship killer with S7 turrets. So more in line with the Ares and targeting ships like the Hammerhead then ships like the Idris/Javelin.

Forgot your password?