Votes: 14 77.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lonewollf

Space Marshal
Mar 1, 2015
RSI Handle
Lonewollf
I mean, they don't even pay for your lunch.
Worst of all, they don't pay for your Beer!

But kidding aside, getting an avacado invite is no easy task, so if you got one, jump on it. the more we have, the quicker things might progress in terms of patch times. if it's not for you, hand in your guacamole and move on.

wmk

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Feb 19, 2018
RSI Handle
wmk
So, I got an Evocati invite today which is pretty cool and as I'm ALWAYS happy to test out bugs and try to break games I think I'm gonna go for it, but figured it at least warranted asking: Other than needing to keep lips sealed for NDA reasons, are there any DOWNSIDES to joining the Mean Green Avocado Team? 🥑
Burnout guaranteed. Also, frustration, depression and disappointment. And pain. Lot of pain.
Otherwise, it's a great way to spend your time : )

Let me know once you're accepted and I'll add you to our secret TEST Avocado group! <beers>

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
From my years of running QA for a software company, and running groups like the evocati, it doesn't appear that CIG has a clue what they're doing with testing. They also don't take criticism well. Yes, you get to see the broken stuff first.
So if you're into that....

stockish

Space Marshal
Nov 24, 2018
RSI Handle
Stockish
Worst of all, they don't pay for your Beer!

But kidding aside, getting an avacado invite is no easy task, so if you got one, jump on it. the more we have, the quicker things might progress in terms of patch times. if it's not for you, hand in your guacamole and move on.
Not quite true, I got one and barely played or added to the IC for most of my time in the game. But I did take the invite seriously since in reality my job field is the same, just with cars.

That said, if you can handle constant crashes, issues, and random bugs and getting no real play time, go for it. But get good at one thing, PROPERLY describing an issue. The basic game no worky work stuff does not fly. Screenshot and video record issues and always replicate it if you can, a one off non repeatable issue does no good to report.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
one off non repeatable issue does no good to report.
Only if you are the only one testing. Someone else might have also hit the same bug.
Now if you don't have steps to reproduce, that's a different story.

Reactions: Dirtbag_Leader

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
You'll work for free, sure. But that's also the amount of work you need to put in, I mean, the worst they can do is kick you off the program, right?

So just accept it, keep doing whatever you've been doing so far that warranted getting an invite, and refuse to stress or feel obligated to do anything, since you're working for free anyways.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
You asked, I am not going to give an opinion, but I am going to give you some facts you need to consider.

1) you are going to be signing a Non-Disclosure Agreement. This means if you leak something...even on accident, and then determine that it was detrimental to their development and/or cost them money, they can come after you for it. Are they going to? Probably not, but it's possible. That means you need to be VERY careful in what you say in public. That brings me to my second point
2) It puts a limited gag in your mouth for criticizing SC and CIG. If you like being an Avacado, you need to be sure that any criticism is based on facts, not opinions. Spreading FUD is looked at a lot harder if you are ETF.
3) you get the absolute WORST builds ever. If you thought 3.18 and 3.19 had a bad build and were horrible to play and would never play/test something like that if had any other choice...then you should say thank you but no thank you. ETF builds are horrible. If it takes 30 minutes for the server to crash, that's a great build. Many times the servers crash within minutes. So it's a race to find out what exactly is crashing things when everyone else is logging on. Is it something you are doing, someone else is doing, etc? I've seen builds that you log in, you try to get out of bed, and or press the door exit button, and the server crashes.
4) If you enjoy torturing yourself waiting for a bad build, hunting for bugs, and actually testing the mechanics, then yes, it can be a lot of fun.
5) if all you want is easy access so you can "play the game earlier" then subscribe or become concierge, because what you really want is Wave 1 access.
6) If you join ETF, there are a LOT of restrictions, including what you can do in-game. For instance, shooting other players is cause for them bouncing you from ETF. The only times you are allowed to shoot/kill other people is if you are both agreeing to it. It's not a "they logged in, so they agreed to it", it's a "Hey, I am testing out a mechanic that might be causing a crash. Could you let me shoot your ship and blow you up right after I turn off the communications satellite?" Answer "Yep, I can help with that. Is there a specific ship blowing up that seems to cause the problem? Does it happen on soft or hard kills or both?" They are there trying to help you get the data needed to find a crash bug. HOWEVER...I might be going to a normally PvP area to try and find a crash bug. If they just blow me up 30 steps into a 35 step process that took 20 minutes to setup without, I am going to be pissed, and more importantly, CIG isn't going to get the data they need to fix the bug.
7) It can be a lot of fun, and the people are great, but when you are there, you are there to test the game. Not play, not hang out, not be a badass, just to test the game and work with ETF people to find the problems so they can get it to Wave 1.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
From what I understand (I don't Evo so this is like 4th hand accounts) the test builds come out very very frequently so if you are paying for your bandwidth it might become a bit tight...?
Expect at least 1 major patch a day on ETF builds. I've seen some patches having 30-40 builds before it goes to Wave 1.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
If you like torturing yourself then Yeh go for it.

Rear_Intruder

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 9, 2017
RSI Handle
Rear_Intruder
If you like the idea of SC then there is no downside to trying it. If you decide it is not for you stop testing the builds, you do not get a black mark against you they will weed you out based on activity and let someone else have a go.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dirtbag_Leader

Mudhawk

Rear Admiral
Donor
Oct 30, 2022
RSI Handle
Mudhawk
There's pros and cons to consider here.
-Con: Word on the streets is that they hand the Avocado to people they consider too verbal with criticism thus forcing them to shut the f**k up in the forums via non-disclosure agreemens. Instead of bribing them with all the money obviously DONT spend on Bug repellant (Do you want to kno more..?)
Pro: There's bound to be an Avocado only paint for the yet unannounced Super Bar-Destroyer Mega carrier. You want one? Get down and dirty dude.
Tough decision. Definitely needs more beer...:drunk:

CRISS9000

Space Marshal
Jul 13, 2016
RSI Handle
criss9000
Word on the streets is that they hand the Avocado to people they consider too verbal with criticism thus forcing them to shut the f**k up in the forums
i'm gonna need to see the evidence on that.

anyone dumb enough to be too vocal in the official forums to the point of annoying everyone else is not gonna hold up their end of the NDA. not forever.

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
There's pros and cons to consider here.
-Con: Word on the streets is that they hand the Avocado to people they consider too verbal with criticism thus forcing them to shut the f**k up in the forums via non-disclosure agreemens. Instead of bribing them with all the money obviously DONT spend on Bug repellant (Do you want to kno more..?)
Pro: There's bound to be an Avocado only paint for the yet unannounced Super Bar-Destroyer Mega carrier. You want one? Get down and dirty dude.
Tough decision. Definitely needs more beer...:drunk:
Nah. We got some vocal people in here, but by-n-large it's folks who are willing to step into the mess in whatever state it is. Kinda fun sometimes.

@Dirtbag_Leader Best way I can think to say it comes from John Mclane in Die Hard "Welcome to the Party, Pal!"

Forgot your password?