Possible RAM issue, need some guidance.

Willem Default

Space Marshal
Apr 2, 2015
RSI Handle
WillemDefault
Hey guys, I posted a while back about getting BSOD crashes/freezing during games. After a while things went back to normal (not quite sure what I did to fix it, or rather which thing I did actually fixed it) but now I'm having similar issues again and I suspect that making certain my RAM is set to the right DRAM timings would be beneficial in either fixing the issue or ruling out the RAM.

In my last post I was prompted by @thanatos73 to check my DRAM timings in case they were way off. I did get additional RAM in the not-so-distant past (another 2 x 4gb, bringing total to 16gb), but hadn't had any issues so far as I could tell. However, as RAM is something I'm not as clued up on as I am about other parts, I do need some help working out the best RAM timings for the sticks I have.

I use Speccy to monitor basic temps for my pc, and previously it had listed both sets of RAM sticks individually and gave temps for both. However, now it only lists them as "16.0GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (11-11-11-30)" with no temps (see image).

Now the tricky part is that both sets of RAM are set to 11-11-11-30 as their timings, and neither model's sticks have the default timings on their label on the actual sticks, and wherever I look online I get different timings listed for both models. It also doesn't help in my BIOS that I am unsure which channel is which dual-set of RAM, so even if I did know the timings for each, I'm unsure of which needs changing.

Here are my specs, including RAM models:

CPU: FX-8350
GPU: GTX 970
Mobo: MSI 990FXA-GD65
RAM: Kingston Beast (2 x 4gb), Kingston HyperX Fury (2 x 4gb). 16gb dual-channel total.
PSU: CX600M

Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: Realised I didn't post when the crashes happened. I get these freeze/crashes during games, although they mostly seem to happen in games that involve heavy load (Battlefield 3, Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor, Just Cause 3). It is not limited to games, unlike my previous issue a month or so back, and has frozen/crashed whilst watching shows on Netflix too (which is why I suspect RAM may be the issue). After these crashes the top of my case is very hot above where the RAM is on my mobo, and when I restart my pc Speccy shows that the mobo is the hottest temp rather than the cpu or gpu.

FireEmblem6

Captain
Feb 27, 2016
RSI Handle
FireEmblem6
Best bet to testing if it is a ram issue, is to take a set out, play with just 8gb and see if you get a crash. If not, switch to the second set and see if a crash happens. You can also use this as a method to see what their timings should be. I believe most systems will try to match the timing of ram sticks so they could explain why the program reads it the way it does. I would also cross check it with cpu-z

Annitias

Minister of Propaganda
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Oct 5, 2014
RSI Handle
Annitias
Give me the model numbers and I can get you some correct settings, if that fails take pictures of the label stickers.

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt
In speccy when you click the ram tab it should tell you the model numbers for each stick, also tells you whats in what slot

Reactions: Willem Default

Willem Default

Space Marshal
Apr 2, 2015
RSI Handle
WillemDefault
Best bet to testing if it is a ram issue, is to take a set out, play with just 8gb and see if you get a crash. If not, switch to the second set and see if a crash happens.
Have taken the newest set out, and played some Middle Earth: SoM without crash issues. Could just be luck, though, so I'll try some BF3 (the game I've had the most crash issues with) and see if it still holds up after prolonged gameplay.

Give me the model numbers and I can get you some correct settings, if that fails take pictures of the label stickers.
Cheers, RussianJ. Here a couple of pictures of the labels on the newest set (HyperX Fury model):

Sorry for the huge ass photos.

Stoutman

Space Marshal
May 1, 2016
RSI Handle
Stoutman
You really want the ram to be in matched pairs. If they do not match, that could be causing issues.

Also, reseating the ram doesn't hurt just in case one is not seated right.

Reactions: DeepDrum

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
So you've got mixed RAM there? Mixed ram isn't really a good idea in an ideal world you want all your sticks to be identical. I know that's not much help but may be worth picking up 2 or 4 new matched sticks and selling the old ones on ebay or something?

Reactions: MastahZero

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
It is not very practical to use mixed RAM, but it can work. After I upgraded from 2x 4GB to 4x8GB identical RAM, I also experienced allot freeze/crashes during games, Elite Dangerous. I suspected the RAM, but after I while I noticed that the freeze/crashes decreased after switching of 2 of my 3 displays. After upgrading my graphics driver it almost never happens anymore, even with my 3 displays active. Now I play Star Citizen on 3 diplays. My graphic card is a GTX 970.

Reactions: MastahZero

DeepDrum

Captain
Jun 27, 2016
RSI Handle
DeepDrum
Those memory chips are the same spec although they are not in matched sets as indicated by a lack of K2 or K3 in the part number.
Timings from Kingston are:
<
FURY Memory Blue - 4GB Module - DDR3 1866MHz CL10 DIMM
Part Number:
HX318C10F/4
Specs: DDR3 , 1866MHz , CL10 , 1.5V , Unbuffered , Spec Sheet PDF
Timings: 1866MHz, 10-11-10, 1.5V
<

The CL10 would be the first timing. I.E. 10-10-11-10

Spec sheet for that ram is here:

http://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/HX318C10F_4.pdf

Phone numbers and e-mail addresses for Kingston are here:
http://www.hyperxgaming.com/us/support

I have used this very successfully in the past to find bad chips. I can't guarentree security these days on anything. :

http://memtest86.com/

Memory will break down under heat loads. This is worse when you fill all slots.
By removing 2 chips you have reduced the heat generation of the ram drastically.
Page 1-8 of my Asus Z97 Board manual states that if you fill all slots then a memory cooler should be used.
I'd bet on heat being part of the problem. Timings may be another problem.
Even how one routes the wiring can affect cooling.

BF4 fried many components in my own machine so I built one in a huge case with many fans. 6 in the bare case.

Always remember, near everything goes through the ram.
When it breaks down, it must meet a threshold before it will shut down.
That means that even if it appears to be running fine, it may be losing data.
Eventually it may affect your install of the game.

Cool the snot out of it.
Even in a new case if required.

Good read on timings here:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/understanding-ram-timings/

I made the mistake of mismatching timings once. It would crash near immediately after booting.

Reactions: marcsand2

DeepDrum

Captain
Jun 27, 2016
RSI Handle
DeepDrum
Just noticed it was an old post. No doubt the issue has been resolved.

Jethaya

Captain
Dec 17, 2015
RSI Handle
Jethaya
those ram speed of 700 are pretty slow for a 1600 kit as others have mentioned matching set are advised but also make sure your 2 set of 2 are paired in the same channel heat could and will be an issue if you dont have sufficiant airflow in your case also make sure you got the latest drivers for your graphics card

DeepDrum

Captain
Jun 27, 2016
RSI Handle
DeepDrum
Ram speed will generally be reported as half the speed. DDR Dual Data Ram. Multiply by 2.
As near as I can tell that ram should report Half of advertised speed.
Still, 700 multiplies to 1400. A good matched set is in order. The timings could be giving you that number too.
Used ram is easy to sell and pretty cheap nowadays anyway.

Reactions: mromutt

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
make sure you got the latest drivers for your graphics card
That is not always good. I have a 970. In the begin it was unstable, so I updated my Nvidia drivers. That worked perfect. A new update came out so I updated again, but SC became very unstable again.... downgrade to the previous driver.

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt
Ram speed will generally be reported as half the speed. DDR Dual Data Ram. Multiply by 2.
As near as I can tell that ram should report Half of advertised speed.
Still, 700 multiplies to 1400. A good matched set is in order. The timings could be giving you that number too.
Used ram is easy to sell and pretty cheap nowadays anyway.
haha yeah I was just about to say all that, its a question I get alot :D

Reactions: marcsand2
Forgot your password?