Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
I know, I should put some more text here, but first TL;DR

I have a bunch of controllers which gave me a hard time to get arranged. @Just Jake infected me with the idea to build a simple simpit.
After he shared some pics and ideas for his new awesome simpit, @Just Jake gave guidance for the final paint scheme and TEST logo.

This is the result of my simple simpit.

View: http://imgur.com/4UktXjo

Last edited:

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Peripherals / controls:
- Thrustmaster Warthog flightstick + Virpil WarBRD Base
- Converted Thrustmaster Warthog flightstick strafestick + Virpil WarBRD Base
- Thrustmaster Warthog throttle + no-detent mod + delta sim electronics slew sensor upgrade
- Thrustmaster Cougar MFD
- MFG Crosswind rudder
- Logitech G410 Gaming keyboard
- Logitech G PRO Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
- Logitech G13 Gameboard
- Logitech G602 Wireless Gaming Mouse
- Swiftpoint Z Gaming mouse
- NaturalPoint TrackIR 5 + VGD Devices UTC Mk II+
- 27" 1920x1080 main display
- 28" 1920x1200 main display

- 32" 2560x1440 main display
- 24" 1920x1200 left and right display
- 19" 1280x1024 top display
- 20" 1680x1050 top display
- 24" 1920x1080 top display

- 27" 1920x1080 top display
- Cambridge SoundWorks FourPointSurround FPS1600
- Logitech z506 5.1 Surround Sound System
- Plantronics BlackWire C315.1-M Office Headset + Plantronics BlackWire C325.1-M Office Headset
- 7.85" 10.1 tablet Samsung TabPro front center MFD
- 2 x 8" tablet Asus Z380M front left and front right MFD (behind Thrustmaster MFDs)
- 2x 10.1" tablet Samsung Tab2 and Samsung TabPro side left and side right MFD
- Thrustmaster TMX Force Feedback Racing Wheel
- Blackhog b-explorer

wishlist:
- Warthog left hand conversion kit

Forget the conversion kit, converting the right handed Warthog myself to a left handed

Last edited:

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Oh...my....god. This is the coolest self-made gaming rig cockpit I've ever seen. Genius, marc. You genius!
Thanks a lot!!! I have seen more realistic pits (eg. one with a real life Tornado canopy :dizzy_face:), I even got plans for the ACESII seat, but my plan was to make a perfect flying / fighting sim pit, completely tailor made for me, everything adjustable for fine tuning, comfortable so I can spend hours in it. It turned out to be too comfortable, the first 2 nights after completing it I woke up next morning in the pit. 2nd time I could take a shower and go to work after I woke up :blush:

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Dear God. I may have to make one of these. This is gorgeous. So gorgeous.

Thanks Marc. When the time comes, I may ask for more input.
Thanks a lot, it has cost me a lot flight time, but it pays of. Be warned!!!! this beauty is a sleep trap, even during building I tried it and found myself napping.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Point in note... whats that massive roll of kitchen paper for?
to wipe the vaseline :joy:
Seriously, when you screw two painted surfaces together, the paint will stick, so my adviser (dad) told me to apply vaseline on the surfaces in contact with each other. The rest should be clean :innocent:

Last edited:

hardroc77

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 27, 2015
RSI Handle
hardroc77
I just saw this. This is so beautiful I almost cried. Almost.
I am soooo yellow with envy.
I wish I had to room to build-buy-steal one of these pits that I've seen here.
Great job.

Reactions: Scape and marcsand2

hardroc77

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 27, 2015
RSI Handle
hardroc77
Thanks a lot, but I only build one pit, don't be confused by the amount of pics. It only takes a pile of wood, a jig saw and some tools. Hardest job was painting.
And time. I can get the first. I have the other two. Butt time in my house is very limited. Still, something to think about and plot.

Reactions: Scape and marcsand2

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
And time. I can get the first. I have the other two. Butt time in my house is very limited. Still, something to think about and plot.
I got the first chair for Christmas, started to order the seat sliders and seat console in January and started building in February. It took me 2.5 months to build, fit and rebuild everything. Painting took me almost a month. The seat sliders did a great job keeping everything adjustable.
I started with the backrest at a 90 degree angle, the seat at a 30 degree angle, but found it more comfortable to set backrest at a bigger angle, resulting in moving the seat and rudder pedals forward.

Reactions: Scape and hardroc77

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
So bad ass!!
Thanks a lot :smile:
I am looking at my pvc "lap cockpit" in shame.
Can't be as bad as my v1.0
View: http://imgur.com/WPDVe3g

or my v1.1
View: http://imgur.com/82y435X

View: http://imgur.com/PNIQVMZ

After a lot of climbing in and out of my chair v1 I really got sick of my keyboard all the time dropping down, always moving the displays, not be able to open drawers, so after a lot of fitting and adjusting chair v1 got it's final destination.
View: http://imgur.com/EUuFvFm

It is not too late for a summer project.
Don't be too optimistic about time, painting is the hardest job, but stand firm until you can show off your build. I can't wait to see it

Last edited:

Miasmic

Commander
Jul 8, 2017
RSI Handle
Miasmic
Can't be as bad as my v1.0
Pfft!! That still makes what I have look like a yard sale pick-up. I am new to HOTAS in general, so I'm still relearning how to fly xD. I am just kinda fiddling and making things more comfortable (cheaply, hence the pvc lol) at the moment. You sir, have inspired me. Hopefully I'll be able to show off my own such creation in the next year or so, I am sure you are right on time. This looks like quite the project.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
It was designed to overcome all shortages of v1.0. Finding an equal good spot for keyboard and G13 was one of the bigger challenges due to the backward angle of sports seat. Also the rudder pedals required a lot attention. Making everything adjustable was the best decision I made. It cost a few bucks but it is totally worth the money.

Forgot your password?