Q & A Perseus

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza

So it's not really meant to go after capital ships just large ships. The hammerhead is meant to deal with swarms of fighter/small bombers while the Perseus can cripple capital ships if targeting the right spot they are not its primary focus.

Its nice to see them continue to flush out and maintain the strengths and weaknesses of ships.

Last edited:

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Maybe its just me but I come away from that thinking that 3 x Ares > 1 Perseus.

-Flying an Ares solo would be funner (to me)
-Flying as part of an Ares squad would be more efficient(I assume)
This is always the question. Currently, besides longer reach and bigger radar, there doesn't seem to be much of an advantage of multi-crew ships against smaller single-seat fighters. It will be interesting to see in the future how they make multi-crew ships have a balance or slightly greater advantage (only with skilled players who work together well).

Reactions: Shiwaz and Gucci

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan

Maybe triple turrets would have been better (6xS7 guns, but only able to fire on two targets at a time), but it seems like this is designed not at org-warfare, but at the piracy game/anti-game.

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264

The thing with an Ares though is the large ship would take you guys out in just a few big gun shots due to lack of shields. So your squadron will not last very long. Now having a ship like the Perseus you have the same amount of big guns if not bigger and a shield to keep you up in the fight. I think this is the real difference. Also it could serve as a distraction to lets say 3 Ares who are fighting together with it. the large ship will most likely target the Perseus instead of the Ares as they see it as a bigger threat while the Ares are beating on hells door.

Gucci

Space Marshal
Nov 17, 2015
RSI Handle
Ras-al-Ghul
The thing with an Ares though is the large ship would take you guys out in just a few big gun shots due to lack of shields. So your squadron will not last very long. Now having a ship like the Perseus you have the same amount of big guns if not bigger and a shield to keep you up in the fight. I think this is the real difference. Also it could serve as a distraction to lets say 3 Ares who are fighting together with it. the large ship will most likely target the Perseus instead of the Ares as they see it as a bigger threat while the Ares are beating on hells door.
But its harder for large ships to hit smaller ones, the smaller ships wouldnt(shouldnt?) be all packed in together infront of the large ship's turrets.

Esctasy

Admiral
Donor
Nov 28, 2018
RSI Handle
Esctasy
Kool! If I'm reading this right, you can take this thing out solo haha.
So you can blade the 4x S7 and have torps too.
That's something that could change the battlefield if you are short players.

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
But its harder for large ships to hit smaller ones, the smaller ships wouldnt(shouldnt?) be all packed in together infront of the large ship's turrets.
on larger ships if you have it actually manned its not hard to hit smaller ships because turrets cover all blindspots. Also larger ships have further range with their bigger guns than smaller ones do so the smaller ships on entry to fight the bigger one are going to get wiped out before even entering firing range. this is why ships like the eclipse are recommneded to take out big ships like this cause they have stealth to sneak in make 1 big shot and get the hell out or die after launching their booty slayers.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
on larger ships if you have it actually manned its not hard to hit smaller ships because turrets cover all blindspots. Also larger ships have further range with their bigger guns than smaller ones do so the smaller ships on entry to fight the bigger one are going to get wiped out before even entering firing range. this is why ships like the eclipse are recommneded to take out big ships like this cause they have stealth to sneak in make 1 big shot and get the hell out or die after launching their booty slayers.

It is possible for larger ships to land shots on smaller ships. But this takes into account that all ships are out in empty clear space. The little ship is far enough out that its speed cannot translate to large enough degrees of arc travel on the larger ship that its turrets are able to keep up.

But if the smaller ships can use cover to get in close then the large ships are not going to be able to do much (the exception is the HH which is created to deal with small ships)

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
It is possible for larger ships to land shots on smaller ships. But this takes into account that all ships are out in empty clear space. The little ship is far enough out that its speed cannot translate to large enough degrees of arc travel on the larger ship that its turrets are able to keep up.

But if the smaller ships can use cover to get in close then the large ships are not going to be able to do much (the exception is the HH which is created to deal with small ships)
Another thing to remember is with larger ships they have hangers for smaller fighters on top of that so if you engage them they will have that capability to so now you are dodging the turret shots and the shots from the large ship guns. if the large ship guns hit you 1-2 times you are dead even with shields. Also we can't forget point defense systems on some larger ships. I havnt played in a long time but i hear aim assist really helped out turrets with aiming to hit ships in their gun's firing range.

Reactions: Bambooza

Gucci

Space Marshal
Nov 17, 2015
RSI Handle
Ras-al-Ghul
Another thing to remember is with larger ships they have hangers for smaller fighters on top of that so if you engage them they will have that capability to so now you are dodging the turret shots and the shots from the large ship guns. if the large ship guns hit you 1-2 times you are dead even with shields. Also we can't forget point defense systems on some larger ships. I havnt played in a long time but i hear aim assist really helped out turrets with aiming to hit ships in their gun's firing range.
It depends on what large ship you're talking about, the hammerhead? Yes, it has fast guns and is made for fighting smaller ships. If we are talking about 1 Perseus vs 3 Ares, I would have to give the win to the Ares.
Not only did they confirm that the Perseus' large turrets will be slower in tracking and not as effective vs smaller targets, but the Ares' weapons, while fixed, are still part of a smaller ship that is more agile.

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
It depends on what large ship you're talking about, the hammerhead? Yes, it has fast guns and is made for fighting smaller ships. If we are talking about 1 Perseus vs 3 Ares, I would have to give the win to the Ares.
Not only did they confirm that the Perseus' large turrets will be slower in tracking and not as effective vs smaller targets, but the Ares' weapons, while fixed, are still part of a smaller ship that is more agile.
I'm talking about big ships like the 890, polaris etc. since the discussion was which is better for fighting big ships 3 ares or 1 perseus.

Gucci

Space Marshal
Nov 17, 2015
RSI Handle
Ras-al-Ghul
I'm talking about big ships like the 890, polaris etc. since the discussion was which is better for fighting big ships 3 ares or 1 perseus.
Then yes, still the 3 Ares, the guns are the same size/damage as the ones on the Perseus but the3 ships are smaller, harder to hit with large size weapons and they are more agile.

We dont know how many hits from a s7 gun or if specific areas are more critical etc, but the Ares I would say are more able to hit and run if things change, like if the polaris opens up its hangar and an actual fighter comes out. There are arguments to be made for target leading or switching, where even if there is a fighter that comes against the ares, the targeted ares leads away and the others continue attacking and are still not really able to be reliably hit from the larger ships guns.

Michael

Space Marshal
Sep 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Pewbaca

i like to add speculations
- Ammo/Heat might be a thing on the Ares. While with the Perseus you can keep up fire for a longer time.
- With Armor changes its cannons might be more effective than a gatling

Kool! If I'm reading this right, you can take this thing out solo haha.
So you can blade the 4x S7 and have torps too.
That's something that could change the battlefield if you are short players.
- Don't forget that it might come at a cost. You will need AI blades for different task. Going full Blades on those guns might "cripple" you ship in other aspects.

Reactions: Gucci and Bambooza

Dalarast

Space Marshal
Oct 29, 2014
RSI Handle
Dalarast
As I was saying in discord. Perseus size 7s should go to 8s. Make it more powerful than a heavy fighter. Hell I would even say let’s increase those torp sizes too. - Perseus owner

Forgot your password?