Rebel Moon

NomadicHavoc

Commander
Nov 19, 2023
RSI Handle
NomadicHavoc
I know that Rebel Moon Part I got a lotta flack, but I thought that it was fair. Part II was really good by my measure. I mean, come on folks the cinematography is top notch, sound design is epic, special effects are spectacular, costume design is awesome, acting is pretty great, action sequences are fun, dialogue is fair, and plot is middling. Add in space ships, robots, and laser swords - what else can we ask for? If you're in the mood for a sci-fi action flick, you could do a LOT worse.

I just hope that there is a Rebel Moon Part III as it deserves to be told.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhr3MzT6exg

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEJuNHOd8Dw

Last edited:
Reactions: Garonman

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
I know that Rebel Moon Part I got a lotta flack, but I thought that it was fair. Part II was really good by my measure. I mean, come on folks the cinematography is top notch, special effects are spectacular, costume design is awesome, acting is pretty great, action sequences are really almost non stop, and dialogue is fair. Add in space ships, robots, and laser swords - what else can we ask for? If you're in the mood for a sci-fi action flick, you could do a LOT worse.

I just hope that there is a Rebel Moon Part III as it deserves to be told.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhr3MzT6exg

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEJuNHOd8Dw
Zach Snyder did something unbelievable: he made thousands of people agree with Disney for once.

The first movie was so bad, soooo fucking unbelievably bad, that I would rather watch TLJ shit on my childhood and memories again. Because that at least makes me feel something.
The second movie is no different.
This is the most generic boring piece of ass film ever copied. The definition of what a movie would look like if made by soulless robots on an assembly line. I'm a 100% certain at this point that this was written by an AI, and then ruined by Snyder. Zero originality. Every single moment, character, weapon, plotpoint, literally everything in this move has been done much much better elsewhere. It's sooooooo fucking boring. The shots are terrible, the meaningless overuse of slowmo , whenever you have looooong as shots taht could be nice to look at half the screen is covered in vaseline (fake DoF) for no fucking reason! It's abysmal, and no, I don't think you can do worse. Because if it was worse, you could at least have fun with how bad it is.

Reactions: Bambooza

NomadicHavoc

Commander
Nov 19, 2023
RSI Handle
NomadicHavoc
It's abysmal, and no, I don't think you can do worse. Because if it was worse, you could at least have fun with how bad it is.
Yowza...this is a safe place, please don't hold back and share your true feelings on the matter. :love:

I can absolutely appreciate everything you said but I'd kindly have to disagree. Yes, Part I was just fair but I felt that Part II pulled some nice punches. Like Garonman stated, the film was initially written to be a Star Wars product but when Disney passed on placing their stamp on the movie they simply retrofitted the script to work for a new intellectual property. Frankly, I'm happy that Disney took a pass as I much more enjoy this more gritty/bloody world than that of the sterilized kid friendly Star Wars universe.

Are there things that I didn't like with Part II. Absolutely.
  1. Why are a few fields of wheat so valuable that they can try to use it as a bartering chip/protection? I mean come on...how much food can you create from that for an entire empire? That being said, perhaps they're doing the same to many thousands/millions of villages throughout the system? And, I'm not privy to why there seems to be such a food shortage - whether that be pestilence, overpopulation, over farming lands, or perhaps poisoning of soil. Do they need to go into all this exposition? Perhaps not.
  2. There didn't to seem to be much urgency when they were harvesting their crop which was the one thing which would keep them from being destroyed from low orbit. However, you need some downtime in a movie to make the action sequences seem mover powerful - to pop. Plus, this gives you more opportunity for subtle emotional impact such as Doona Bai having a connection with the villager boy. Things like this allow characters to show you in part why they are fighting to protect this village without explicitly saying so. This has to be a hard balance to achieve for any film.
  3. How is it ever a good idea to take a tomahawk into a large open battlefield against several platoons of soldiers with laser rifles and tanks and expect to come out unscathed? I get wanting to make the battle feel more dimensional, but why oh God why? Perhaps having 2 tomahawks made more sense to the director...geesh. Having Doona Bai, however, choose to stay back and protect villagers within a confined space with her laser swords makes much more sense. In a confined space she may have the upper hand against soldiers with guns.
  4. Their attempt to give backstory to all of the supporting main characters fell pretty flat with the round table scene. Seemed pretty forced to me. They did flesh characters out a little more in Part I but evidently felt the need to drive it home in Part II. Do we need to know the backstory for everyone? You don't want your main characters to be one dimensional. I get that. But, Han Solo didn't really have much of a backstory in the movies other than being a somewhat sketchy smuggler who inadvertently got caught up in the rebellion. He just was. Again, that's got to be a hard balance to achieve when you want your characters to be memorable. Better to be memorable for what they do in the moment than to have flash back sequences in my book.
I'm just fine with Rebel Moon keeping their version of the lightsaber. In fact, Blood Moon's laser swords look cooler, although loose out with the absence of the fantastic lightsaber sound effects. I'm good with the use of slow motion to help you appreciate a really cool action sequence. True originality is a hard thing to achieve in film. Everything seemingly has been done before. Choosing what works and what's cool and weaving it within your story makes good sense to me.

Speaking of originality, Zack Snyder has revealed how he crafted a new camera lens using four different pieces of technology to create a "distorted retro" look for his new film Rebel Moon. If you don't like the effect, I can appreciate that. But, this is an attempt to give this series a certain look that may not be found in other films.

@Lorddarthvik: Surely, for the love of Yoda you can find at least 1 worse sci-fi flick in the below link:

@Aramsolari: I'd be curious to hear your opinion. I believe that you work/worked in the film industry and have some interesting insights.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aramsolari

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Yowza...this is a safe place, please don't hold back and share your true feelings on the matter. :love:

I can absolutely appreciate everything you said but I'd kindly have to disagree. Yes, Part I was just fair but I felt that Part II pulled some nice punches. Like Garonman stated, the film was initially written to be a Star Wars product but when Disney passed on placing their stamp on the movie they simply retrofitted the script to work for a new intellectual property. Frankly, I'm happy that Disney took a pass as I much more enjoy this more gritty/bloody world than that of the sterilized kid friendly Star Wars universe.

Are there things that I didn't like with Part II. Absolutely.
  1. Why are a few fields of wheat so valuable that they can try to use it as a bartering chip/protection? I mean come on...how much food can you create from that for an entire empire? That being said, perhaps they're doing the same to many thousands/millions of villages throughout the system? And, I'm not privy to why there seems to be such a food shortage - whether that be pestilence, overpopulation, over farming lands, or perhaps poisoning of soil. Do they need to go into all this exposition? Perhaps not.
  2. There didn't to seem to be much urgency when they were harvesting their crop which was the one thing which would keep them from being destroyed from low orbit. However, you need some downtime in a movie to make the action sequences seem mover powerful - to pop. Plus, this gives you more opportunity for subtle emotional impact such as Doona Bai having a connection with the villager boy. Things like this allow characters to show you in part why they are fighting to protect this village without explicitly saying so. This has to be a hard balance to achieve for any film.
  3. How is it ever a good idea to take a tomahawk into a large open battlefield against several platoons of soldiers with laser rifles and tanks and expect to come out unscathed? I get wanting to make the battle feel more dimensional, but why oh God why? Perhaps having 2 tomahawks made more sense to the director...geesh. Having Doona Bai, however, choose to stay back and protect villagers within a confined space with her laser swords makes much more sense. In a confined space she may have the upper hand against soldiers with guns.
  4. Their attempt to give backstory to all of the supporting main characters fell pretty flat with the round table scene. Seemed pretty forced to me. They did flesh characters out a little more in Part I but evidently felt the need to drive it home in Part II. Do we need to know the backstory for everyone? You don't want your main characters to be one dimensional. I get that. But, Han Solo didn't really have much of a backstory in the movies other than being a somewhat sketchy smuggler who inadvertently got caught up in the rebellion. He just was. Again, that's got to be a hard balance to achieve when you want your characters to be memorable. Better to be memorable for what they do in the moment than to have flash back sequences in my book.
I'm just fine with Rebel Moon keeping their version of the lightsaber. In fact, Blood Moon's laser swords look cooler, although loose out with the absence of the fantastic lightsaber sound effects. I'm good with the use of slow motion to help you appreciate a really cool action sequence. True originality is a hard thing to achieve in film. Everything seemingly has been done before. Choosing what works and what's cool and weaving it within your story makes good sense to me.

Speaking of originality, Zack Snyder has revealed how he crafted a new camera lens using four different pieces of technology to create a "distorted retro" look for his new film Rebel Moon. If you don't like the effect, I can appreciate that. But, this is an attempt to give this series a certain look that may not be found in other films.

@Lorddarthvik: Surely, for the love of Yoda you can find at least 1 worse sci-fi flick in the below link:

@Aramsolari: I'd be curious to hear your opinion. I believe that you work/worked in the film industry and have some interesting insights.
Thank fuck we got Rogue One instead. That is the best thing to have come out of Disney SW imo.

You enjoy what you enjoy, I do not intend to change your mind on it!

I do appreciate that you can recall enough of the movie to criticize it so thoroughly, I sure as hell can't. I just watched and it went right through me. And that is my point really. It's the nothingness of it all. This second one felt even more hollow somehow. I guess the only reason I'm a little bit upset about it is that there was some potential in the universe and setting, and it got wasted on these movies.

I heard something about two more movies already made/being made, and each of them is again in 2 parts? So we are getting 2x2 films still?

Mr. @Aramsolari has some good takes and insights on movies and the industry, even if we tend to disagree on some things sometimes.

I'm a freelance VFX artist/CG Artist/3D generalist/compositor/onset VFX, I had many names and tasks over the years, and now work 99% on ads cos it's just more varied and pays better and I found some really good people to work with. I worked in local movies and TV shows, thankfully not anything you have ever seen cos oh boy, those weren't great lol.
So I can say with confidence that the CG/VFX work in these movies is perfectly fine quality, and it shows that a shittonn of work went into them. It's not OMFG jawdropping, but it's a ton a work with seemingly all shots of the movies at least needing some sort of small touching up or background inserts or such. So that is the one aspect I will give to them, that was done right.

Oh yeah now that you mention it, I heard Snyder came up with some lens...yeah, nah. It wasn't worth his trouble. That looks aweful. Unique, sure, but also just nah. Why would I want half the screen to be blurred and distorted? It's distracting, looks like an artifact in the compositing, an error, more than an intentional style. As at least 50% of the environment is CG all the freakin time, I don't think it does anything either, cos they replaced what was filmed. So I think it's totally pointless to have it in the first place. And it's even more pointless cos I've seen the same effect pop up in Fallout in a couple of shots! I didn't like there either, but at least it was used very sparingly.

For me, the action is just soooo mehhh. It's just another Zack Snyder superhero movie, with the total absolute zero stakes to every single action sequence, and they are so dumb. Lots of waiting around, lots of pointless flailing around, no impact whatsoever. They would look okay, sure, if this was the second or third time I saw action like this, but after countless superher movies, these carry no wheight. There's a reason why anyone I personally know including myself and my mother, can rewatch something like the Matrix lobby scene or the disco sequence in JW1, or Vader fighting ObiWan on the Death Star, at any point in the day, and be hyped about it.
I can't remember a single action sequence from this movie, apart from the one in the first movie with the spider lady which was soooo badly thought out but at least looked like something new (even though the premise of it was basically a worse copy of the spider alien mission from Mass Effect).

Yes it is exceedingly rare to see originality because everything was done before, to some degree at least. My issue here is that I can pick and choose scenes and just intercut them with the original they are copying and it would match, like shot for shot in some cases, but the original would stand out as the much better one. It takes a bit from everything, from Aliens through the Marvel/DC movies, from Gladiator to Star Wars, from video games too, and just makes it worse. I have no issues with their superheated? swords, they look cool at least but as there's no interesting story (like the Jedi) tied to those, they make little sense when you have guns that blow holes in anything. Especially with how one moment they can't be handled by mere mortals, the next you put a kitchen towel on your hands and you can pick em up just fine. All the mystery gone.

Yes, you can certainly find truly aweful movies that are worse in the sense that the acting is worse, the story has bigger dumber plotholes, or it objectively looks like crap compared to this. You can ofc, but my point is, that with those, you can at least remember how awful they were. You can even laugh at it they are so bad. I think that is a better experience than watching this hollow shell, which does everything in the most mediocre way that is humanly possible.

Recent example, Fallout has some really dumb plotholes and stuff (how the fuck in LA, which got nuked into fine dust, you have everything connected up to the observatory still, and half the buildings having intact lightbulbs which were left on in the middle of the day.... The ghoul empties two mags into Finn's T60 for no effect, yet oneshots like 7 or 8 paladins wearing the same T60 armor... How the hell is it possible that non of the elders recognize the raiders if the vaults meet up every 3 years... Knight Titus dies from a slap and a fall inside the armor, 5 minutes later Finn crashlands the same armor face first at 200mph into hard soil yet is unbruised...) but I can ignore those things, because the show is self-aware enough, and has a tone that matches the sometimes silly action. Which also looks better with waaay less CG, and lots of chunks flying.

Zack takes his movies way too seriously, just like he did with justice league, and allows for no fun, yet fails to deliver on any of it. The drama isn't there, the characters despite their backstories have the depth of a bottle of windex, and there are no stakes to anything. Big evil empire man wants grain (like you mentioned, the reasoning is kinda hollow), we now have to care about random badass woman in random village because?... Ofc she will come up with a magical way to win it all. We have seen this a thousand times before. Non of them are likable enough for me to worry about whether they live or die, and he had over 5 hours by now to make me care about at least one fucking character! But nope, couldn't do it.

Anyways, I ranted enough about something I don't really care about that much. I wanted to enjoy these movies, and I just can't find anything to enjoy in them sadly. I'm glad at least you did though.

Wait, I just remembered one moment that I enjoyed! When in the first movie the super important superhero we got introduced to and had a backstory with and he is our hope and savior and we should care about sooo deeply, the one I call the dumb aquaman copy, does a running jump that is pixel by pixel the exact same slowmo jump from aquaman, onto the turret on the enemy ship and surprisingly, doesn't pull off any miracles, instead the movie has a single standout realistic/as it would happen irl moment, and he promptly gets blasted by the no-face no-name extra sitting at the turret controls! That, that shit was funny as hell!
Too bad the moment got ruined by his "sacrifice" still working out in the end, I would have given some props to Zack if he went ahead and just wiped the floor with all of our supposed heroes. That could've made things interesting for this next movie...

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
Sorry guys I didn't like it.

I thought the movie was bad. Awful clichés and tropes all wrapped up in shiny but distracting VFX. I suppose it's the kind of movie where every single frame has extensive post work and VFX. Plot wise @Lorddarthvik summed up my thoughts. And goddamn I'm glad he didn't get to do Rogue One.

Honestly I've never been a fan of Zack Snyder going back to his 300 days. One of the camera techniques of his that I find jarring is his overuse of high speed photography and speed ramping. Take a look at this YouTube video covering his Style. The only film of his I like is Watchmen. Maybe I like my science fiction grounded in reality with subtle VFX that isn't in your face. I guess that's why I love Dune Part 1 and 2 so damn much.

Anyway, I'm glad his films and filmmaking style have a following and he's getting work. Rebel Moon 1 and 2 are big, expensive projects that were shot in California, I think I have an IATSE Local 600 buddy who worked on it. 2023 was a shit year (Film strikes) for below the line folks who work in the industry (including myself) so it's encouraging to see that big budget films are still getting funding.

Alas Snyder is not the director I think of when I think of good cinematography. I'm more of a Denis Villeneuve and Christopher Nolan kind of guy.

Villeneuve/Nolan hires geniuses like Roger Deakins, Grieg Fraser, and Hoyte van Hoytema for their projects. Take a look of this cinematography reel and framing composition breakdown of Oppenheimer for masterclasses of cinematography.

Synder on the other hand shot Rebel Moon himself.

@Lorddarthvik Appreciate the shout out! We're in different sides of production and it's terrific to hear the insight of folks in post. As a Lighting Tech and sometimes Gaffer I rarely get to chat with you VFX guys!

Last edited:

NomadicHavoc

Commander
Nov 19, 2023
RSI Handle
NomadicHavoc
Thanks guys for your insights. Totally understand what you're saying. I'm sure that you all have a much better eye for film than I do.

Honestly, I feel jealous of you both. Sounds like you both have very interesting jobs.

Don't trusty my opinion on film because...
I liked Jar Jar Binks before it was ...

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
Thanks guys for your insights. Totally understand what you're saying. I'm sure that you all have a much better eye for film than I do.

Honestly, I feel jealous of you both. Sounds like you both have very interesting jobs.

Don't trusty my opinion on film because...
View attachment 25507
Nah man! I'm of the opinion that taste in anything (Films, books, games, etc) is subjective and that's great. The world would be a much duller place if we're all into the same stuff! As for me I'm just an old fart set in my own ways! I like science fiction grounded in reality and period films haha.

Space Opera is notoriously difficult to pull off. Look at the number of misses. Valarian, Jupiter Ascending, John Carter. They're terribly expensive to produce and easy to fall into cliché traps. Everyone is trying to recapture the original Star Wars magic but nobody seems to be getting it right. Honestly I applaud Zack Snyder for even trying at a time when Studios/Networks are scaling back on production costs. Hopefully we'll get to see more of them.

My job can be interesting but it's not that glamorous lol. The hours are long and there are alotta egos. I'll love to work on a big budget space opera myself but alas....I'm stuck working on a police procedural show.

NomadicHavoc

Commander
Nov 19, 2023
RSI Handle
NomadicHavoc
I work at a large clinical research hospital helping to open, maintain, and close out any number of oncology, cardiology, neurology, nephrology, and gastroenterology research studies. Most of the people that I work with are fantastic. Although very interesting and rewarding it's not especially fun either. Lots and lots and lots of paperwork. And ethics...who likes those pesky safety boards :)

Jokes aside, I'm still jealous. Working on creative projects, police procedural shows included, sounds like a hoot. One of my favorite undergraduate memories was joining my now wife for her Tuesday night Classic Horror Films class. Every Tuesday we would sneak some snacks into the lecture hall and watch old silent, pre-code, black and white movies such as The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, Nosferatu, Metropolis, Onibaba, Freaks, The Strange Case of Dr. Jekkyl and Mr. Hide, Bride of Frankenstein, etc. Had such a great time watching and discussing those movies.

Was just now talking with my sweet wife about those days. We're going to break out some old black and white horror movies that we have on DVD tonight, curl up and reminisce about the good old college days.

Cheers!

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
I work at a large clinical research hospital helping to open, maintain, and close out any number of oncology, cardiology, neurology, nephrology, and gastroenterology research studies. Most of the people that I work with are fantastic. Although very interesting and rewarding it's not especially fun either. Lots and lots and lots of paperwork. And ethics...who likes those pesky safety boards :)

Jokes aside, I'm still jealous. Working on creative projects, police procedural shows included, sounds like a hoot. One of my favorite undergraduate memories was joining my now wife for her Tuesday night Classic Horror Films class. Every Tuesday we would sneak some snacks into the lecture hall and watch old silent, pre-code, black and white movies such as The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, Nosferatu, Metropolis, Onibaba, Freaks, The Strange Case of Dr. Jekkyl and Mr. Hide, Bride of Frankenstein, etc. Had such a great time watching and discussing those movies.

Was just now talking with my sweet wife about those days. We're going to break out some old black and white horror movies that we have on DVD tonight, curl up and reminisce about the good old college days.

Cheers!
Nice. My significant other is a RN at a local major hospital. Trauma center and all that. She's literally saving lives out there while I'm drinking coffee and eating donuts with out of shape film Teamsters. During the pandemic I seriously considered getting into something more meaningful haha. Then folks tell me that the really bad TV I worked on during that time was what kept them sane lol.

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
Sadly it is just another rip off of Akira Kurosawa's classic Seven Samurai same as the Magnificent 7 was and I didn't see any credit given to Kurosawa one of the greatest filmmakers that ever lived.
Well I mean the whole "Assembling the Team" to beat the Big Bad trope has been around forever. Dirty Dozen, The Magnificent Seven back in the day. Hell even modern day films like The Avengers, 'Insert all other Marvel Movies', Rogue One, Lord of The Rings, etc follow that formula.

It's basically a 3 Act story structure. Honestly if it isn't done well, it's generic, formulaic, and can really suck.

Act 1: The Hero appears and Shit Happens to him/her/them.
Act 2: The Hero goes around and collects other Heroes to fight the Shit. Shit happens to them along the way.
Act 3: The Heroes assemble, go through some personal shit, then fight and beat the Big Bad Shit (But not without getting beaten up for a bit).

Kurosawa does get a lot of of acclaim. Spielberg, Lucas, Tarantino, etc. all credit him.

Also Snyder did credit Kurosawa. He flat out calls it Seven Samurai in Space.

Last edited:

RoosterRage

Captain
Donor
Jul 16, 2022
RSI Handle
RoosterRage
Well I mean the whole "Assembling the Team" to beat the Big Bad trope has been around forever. Dirty Dozen, The Magnificent Seven back in the day. Hell even modern day films like The Avengers, 'Insert all other Marvel Movies', Rogue One, Lord of The Rings, etc follow that formula.

It's basically a 3 Act story structure. Honestly if it isn't done well, it's generic, formulaic, and can really suck.

Act 1: The Hero appears and Shit Happens to him/her/them.
Act 2: The Hero goes around and collects other Heroes to fight the Shit. Shit happens to them along the way.
Act 3: The Heroes assemble, go through some personal shit, then fight and beat the Big Bad Shit (But not without getting beaten up for a bit).

Kurosawa does get a lot of of acclaim. Spielberg, Lucas, Tarantino, etc. all credit him.

Also Snyder did credit Kurosawa. He flat out calls it Seven Samurai in Space.
Fact is it was not around forever everything you listed was made after Seven Samurai due to the films international acclaim, and the Lord of the Rings is a completely different storyline and character arcs are nothing like Seven Samurai that have a complex mix of warriors being assembled to defend a small farming village. I would also point out that he did not give Kurosawa credit in the film as should have been done even though he clearly states that he copied his film in interviews.

Reactions: Deroth

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
Fact is it was not around forever everything you listed was made after Seven Samurai due to the films international acclaim, and the Lord of the Rings is a completely different storyline and character arcs are nothing like Seven Samurai that have a complex mix of warriors being assembled to defend a small farming village. I would also point out that he did not give Kurosawa credit in the film as should have been done even though he clearly states that he copied his film in interviews.
Kurosawa is one of the greatest filmmakers of all time without a doubt. Personally, I've seen most of his films. Rashomon, Throne of Blood, Ran, etc. Hell I've even watched his lesser known films like High and Low and Rhapsody in August.

Is Rebel Moon a ripoff? Sure...but so are these other films...'waves arms across'. I'm not sure how you expect Snyder to credit Kurosawa besides a casual reference to it during an interview. You're not always going to get an actual credit at the end credits if that's what you're expecting. That's at the discretion of the producers, network (Netflix) and can open up all sorts of financial pressure from Kurosawa's estate and the original studio behind Seven Samurai, Toho. There have been numerous remakes of Seven Samurai and the majority of those remakes do not credit him. Should Kurosawa be credited? Absolutely. Didn't happen though and that's that.

Now I'm typing all this as someone who actually didn't like Rebel Moon or the bulk of Snyder's films. Hell if I were Kurosawa, I'll rather not be credited for this mess lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: NomadicHavoc

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
Wait, I just remembered one moment that I enjoyed! When in the first movie the super important superhero we got introduced to and had a backstory with and he is our hope and savior and we should care about sooo deeply, the one I call the dumb aquaman copy, does a running jump that is pixel by pixel the exact same slowmo jump from aquaman, onto the turret on the enemy ship and surprisingly, doesn't pull off any miracles, instead the movie has a single standout realistic/as it would happen irl moment, and he promptly gets blasted by the no-face no-name extra sitting at the turret controls! That, that shit was funny as hell!
Too bad the moment got ruined by his "sacrifice" still working out in the end, I would have given some props to Zack if he went ahead and just wiped the floor with all of our supposed heroes. That could've made things interesting for this next movie...
I'm still scratching my head trying to understand how stabbing a single turret gunner caused the entire ship to crash. ...and that wasn't even the worst cringe thing in the first movie... For example the sloppy attempts at foreshadowing that were so completely ham-fisted they aren't even foreshadowing anymore as that requires nuance that Zack Snider has a proven track record of being incapable (he can make entertaining cinema, but anything that requires nuance is outside of his wheelhouse...like his overblown use of slow-motion to try to give gravitas to a scene while still not realizing after all this time that things like that are more of a 'less is more'.)

I hadn't heard of it until the other day when the Part II showed up in my recommended for me list, thought the concept sounded interesting (even if the description was a bit...lacking...) so was hopeful as I started the first one, but have been so disappointed I still haven't gotten around to watching the Part II.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
...use of slow-motion...
The two movies I've seen which do slow-mo really really well are Dredd (Karl Urban version) where it's used in context with narcotics use and the Sonic the Hedgehog movie both of which as you say really do use it sparingly.

I've still got to get to watching these, perhaps this week fingers crossed :-)

Forgot your password?