RSI Scorpius - New heavy fighter!

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Not tha bad... but now I have a question: that does this ship have over using a couple of Sabre (same exact weapon load)?
Considering that a two ship indipendent will llikely be more effective since there are two target instead of one and two treath instead of one (for the same amount of firepower)?
You only need one good pilot and the turret gunner doesn't need to be all that good as a pilot. Also you don't need your friend to own a Sabre.

Otherwise, I prefer two Sabres or possibly two Hornets depending on performance.

• o7
Reactions: Talonsbane

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
The Talon was pretty and I'm a Tevarin Sympathiser but a light fighter I am not and I need a wall of pew to hit the broad side of a barn. Upgraded as a stable mate to my Sentential, gimmie the chonk.

Now, I wonder if those gimbals can be removed and I can have 4x fixed s3 to compliment the 4xs3 turret?

EDIT - Oh ass that's what I was going to CCU in to a Nova tonk...
The weapons are S3 hadpoint (fixed) OR S2 gimbled.... so yes, full S3 for this one...

It is smaller than I expected while the guns being larger than I expected.

Not a Vanguard replacement but it definitely obsoletes the Hurricane.
Hmm not really sure that this will replace the Hurricane...
Turret wise is the same true, but those S4 hardpoint for the pilot open up different possibility, not much on the firepower it self, but on the engage distance. Also the Hurricane, looking at the immage, fell quite smaller then this one... I think they'll probably work well in a mixed squadron

• o7

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
The weapons are S3 hadpoint (fixed) OR S2 gimbled.... so yes, full S3 for this one...

Hmm not really sure that this will replace the Hurricane...
Turret wise is the same true, but those S4 hardpoint for the pilot open up different possibility, not much on the firepower it self, but on the engage distance. Also the Hurricane, looking at the immage, fell quite smaller then this one... I think they'll probably work well in a mixed squadron
As a general rule, weapon types being equal, going up a size increases your DPS by 150%. So 3 size 3 equals 2 size 4. You give up a little range for an extra size 3 DPS.

I can see some circumstances where the two size 4 might be useful but for a fighter they seem more like edge cases.

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
Constellation, Merlin, Nomad.....
Mmm true for Merlin (but it is gimballed S1 on a S1 slot) and half true for the Connie, you can put 2 S5 on the Connie out of the 4 S4 gimballed, and not true for Nomad, you can put all 3 S3 as fixed.

Maybe that will be clarified during the Q&A.

• o7

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Mmm true for Merlin (but it is gimballed S1 on a S1 slot) and half true for the Connie, you can put 2 S5 on the Connie out of the 4 S4 gimballed, and not true for Nomad, you can put all 3 S3 as fixed.

Maybe that will be clarified during the Q&A.
The Nomad has 3 size 3 standard. Sure you can lock them but they are still size 3.

• o7

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
1 meter too long to fit in the Polaris hangar bay, and all small components just talked me out of it. If I can't fit it into a Polaris, I'll stick with the Sentinal which has 3X the shields, twice the missiles, stealth, EMP and 6km weapons range.

Sure is pretty though.
Who knows? We do not have exact final size of that hangar, and CIG once said the Mantis could fit in the Polaris if they bring the hangar to the current metrics used for the 890 and others. And a Mantis takes more space than the Scorpius (same length but wider and higher).
Besides that would make sense, having a synergy between RSI ships, like for Drake ships and the Kraken.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Who knows? We do not have exact final size of that hangar, and CIG once said the Mantis could fit in the Polaris if they bring the hangar to the current metrics used for the 890 and others. And a Mantis takes more space than the Scorpius (same length but wider and higher).
Besides that would make sense, having a synergy between RSI ships, like for Drake ships and the Kraken.
If the Polaris is to use the current metrics then it can carry a Cutlass or a Vanguard, which fit in "small" hangars. I expect the max size to be around the size of a Sabre.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Last projection I've seen for the Polaris hangar is 29m long, 20 meters wide, 8 meters high. You might squeeze the Scorpios in diagonally, but not the Vanguard. Not even close.

But of course as vadahar notes, we still don't know what size that hangar will turn out to be.

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
Not tha bad... but now I have a question: that does this ship have over using a couple of Sabre (same exact weapon load)?
Considering that a two ship indipendent will llikely be more effective since there are two target instead of one and two treath instead of one (for the same amount of firepower)?
Well, I'd say it depends on situ. Maybe you're going far and need to conserve fuel.
Or maybe you're fighting something nimbler, turret tracks quicker and dedicated gunner can solely focus on that.
Maybe you're in an asteroid field and the pilot needs all focus.

I can see scenarios where you'd prefer 1 over 2 and vice versa

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I have just noticed that the distance between guns on wings tips is over 30m width. That is not great for weapon fire convergence i bet, and will be more problematic than ships with guns that are regrouped close together.
For fixed weapons it would be. But it comes with gimbal which should allow it to maintain convergence at any distance.

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
For fixed weapons it would be. But it comes with gimbal which should allow it to maintain convergence at any distance.
I get that. But most YellowJackets are using fixed weapons, which tend to be more effective when you get the hold of it, so this needs to be tested with the Scorpius.

• o7

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Last projection I've seen for the Polaris hangar is 29m long, 20 meters wide, 8 meters high. You might squeeze the Scorpios in diagonally, but not the Vanguard. Not even close.

But of course as vadahar notes, we still don't know what size that hangar will turn out to be.
If it is standard current landing pad metric, as Crewe said and others like to say, the standard small hangar fits a Vanguard or a Cutlass.

• Glorious
Forgot your password?