Squadron 42 'I Held The Line' video now on YouTube

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
It's been a long wait lads, I think we're finally seeing light at the end of the tunnel. Here's the video minus the Twitch stuff.

I actually shed a tear here and there watching the video.

I backed the project back in the day because of Squadron 42, not Star Citizen. Yeah I'm one of those guys lol.

Here since 2012, Hopefully there at the end. :o7:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDtjzLzs7V8&ab_channel=StarCitizen

Last edited:

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
I feel like the video should come with spoiler warnings.

I hope this means we will see sq42 in a year two years tips and this frees up the staff to start adding content to the pu.
Yeah agreed.

In CIG’a defence though I think they’re just eager to show off progress to keep the fans happy. It’s a tricky balance.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I feel like the video should come with spoiler warnings.

I hope this means we will see sq42 in a year two years tips and this frees up the staff to start adding content to the pu.
I'm not sure how long it'd be before they move on to making S42 Ep2... but with an engine and mechanics already built making a second part of the story is going to be a heck of a lot easier than the path the project has taken to get Ep1 made.

Raven_King

Grand Admiral
Donor
Jan 17, 2021
RSI Handle
Raven_King
Yep, I think that feels about right. Presumably we saw the most complete bits, and there's plenty that still needs a decent amount of rework. There was even a little bit of janky stuff in that trailer, but okay, it's a preview still. We've been around long enough, and have been excited by CitCon announcements enough times not to get too over-excited just yet. But I was very pleased to see what's in that video - it did feel quite spoiler-y, considering the comparative drought of information about the game recently. But honestly, apart from the long list of things we've not seen before, my overarching thought is "thank goodness, SQ42 really is going to come out, still owned by CIG and not having been 'rescued' by some other publisher". It's really hard to resist the urge to guess the release timeframe.

Raven_King

Grand Admiral
Donor
Jan 17, 2021
RSI Handle
Raven_King
I'm not sure how long it'd be before they move on to making S42 Ep2... but with an engine and mechanics already built making a second part of the story is going to be a heck of a lot easier than the path the project has taken to get Ep1 made.
Absolutely right. I hope they do spend some time working on PU stuff for a bit before they go all-in on Ep2 though, for three reasons. First, they 'owe' their long-term backers a LOT things they've more-or-less promised and have kinda been paid for (yes, sure, backing and pledging with a proposed reward isn't buying, but it often feels like it is, and that impacts a lot on goodwill and backer support whatever the terms of sale say). Second, I am certain the PU will continue to attract FAR more money from players than SQ42 Ep1 will after it is release. We don't know if the game will be a commercial success in its own right with non-backers yet. For one thing, what proportion of people who would buy SQ42 as a AAA game after release won't because... they already have pledged for it pre-release? So some PU progress should be a good commercial return on investment. And lastly, the Ep2 and Ep3 story is critical - it's VERY hard to get right, and so takes time and iterations and vision and patience and courage to throw away mediocre stuff and do it better, so it can't be rushed. Getting enough of the original cast to return is not easy. Sequels are hard. I hope CIG have the patience - and the funding and public support - to do justice to them.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Why would a player that purchases SQ42 while initially backing SC want to purchase SQ42 again after it's released? Or are you referring to those that don't choose to also add SQ42 to their starter pack purchase? If the latter, then I believe that those that enjoy SC would want to enjoy the stand alone games in order to get the experience, reputation & lore gains, more than not. I can easily be wrong though.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Why would a player that purchases SQ42 while initially backing SC want to purchase SQ42 again after it's released? Or are you referring to those that don't choose to also add SQ42 to their starter pack purchase? If the latter, then I believe that those that enjoy SC would want to enjoy the stand alone games in order to get the experience, reputation & lore gains, more than not. I can easily be wrong though.
'y know this is what I have planned?

I have my original game package which had s42 included in it, and I'm going to buy a retail copy because I've pledged to get the game made so I also want to purchase to help make sure Launch is a success too.

Hopefully a boxed copy if they do one because holy hell won't that be one heck of a memento to have a physical object as a result of all the years of backing.

I mean, I likely wouldn't play the second copy but I'll definitely be getting one.

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
I think once SQ42 Epi 1 is done, the other Episodes should be fairly straightforward. I the engine is good to go, art assets are there, etc. We’ll need new voice acting and mocap of course but that shouldn’t be an issue.

Reactions: NaffNaffBobFace

Raven_King

Grand Admiral
Donor
Jan 17, 2021
RSI Handle
Raven_King
Sorry, I could have been clearer. When SQ42 is released, I think a significant minority of people who would be willing to pay for it will have already paid for it (and won't buy a second copy! :love:). So SQ42 sales after release are arguably going to be a bit reduced compared to what they could have been. It's a boring and obvious point but its consequence is one of several contributing reasons the PU is commercially worth investing substantial dev effort into, at least for a while, once SQ42 is out. No revelation here. Backers who already have SQ42 and who won't buy it again will buy stuff in the PU. Not a big deal - just a contributing reason to give the PU a significant bit of investment before really ramping up Ep2.

Mmm, second physical copy. Definitely. Though my original 2012 pledge is meant to have some physical rewards.

• Glorious
Reactions: Talonsbane

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
Sorry, I could have been clearer. When SQ42 is released, I think a significant minority of people who would be willing to pay for it will have already paid for it (and won't buy a second copy! :love:). So SQ42 sales after release are arguably going to be a bit reduced compared to what they could have been. It's a boring and obvious point but its consequence is one of several contributing reasons the PU is commercially worth investing substantial dev effort into, at least for a while, once SQ42 is out. No revelation here. Backers who already have SQ42 and who won't buy it again will buy stuff in the PU. Not a big deal - just a contributing reason to give the PU a significant bit of investment before really ramping up Ep2.

Mmm, second physical copy. Definitely. Though my original 2012 pledge is meant to have some physical rewards.
If SQ42 becomes a hit, I see CIG selling copies like hot cakes to new players.

I personally know dozens of friends and colleagues who have heard of SQ42/SC but have zero interest in putting money in crowdfunded/unfinished projects. I think there are many folks like that out there.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace

If we aim for the stars and assume s42 has a launch similar to Starfield, that game had 10 million players by 19th september. SC has 4,850,000 backers (not taking in to account ALT accounts and accounts which have not got s42 added to them already) so there could be a fair few million users in pocket yet.

Now this is not to say Starfield has sold 10 million copies - they are on Gamepass and other subscription services which won't have netted them as much chedda as a pure direct-to-player sale would have done but may have got them a lump sum to attract them to the services+per-play fee...? not sure how developers are recompensed for being on these services? If SC reports in the same way, it will include all those payers who pre-purchased the game all the way back to 2012 assuming most of them are still live and kickin' to log on to be able to be counted in the user base.

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
If we aim for the stars and assume s42 has a launch similar to Starfield, that game had 10 million players by 19th september. SC has 4,850,000 backers (not taking in to account ALT accounts and accounts which have not got s42 added to them already) so there could be a fair few million users in pocket yet.

Now this is not to say Starfield has sold 10 million copies - they are on Gamepass and other subscription services which won't have netted them as much chedda as a pure direct-to-player sale would have done but may have got them a lump sum to attract them to the services+per-play fee...? not sure how developers are recompensed for being on these services? If SC reports in the same way, it will include all those payers who pre-purchased the game all the way back to 2012 assuming most of them are still live and kickin' to log on to be able to be counted in the user base.
There's definitely a few million potential new backers when SQ42 goes Live. At that point I guess you can't even call them backers, new customers perhaps?

I think SC will count every single account that owns SQ42 whether it's active or not. It's kind of a marketing thing. There will always be more buyers than active users of any product.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
I might be alone in this or in the clear minority, but tbh, AFTER SQ42 is fully completed & released on PC, IF there is enough buzz, it wouldn't surprise me if CIG then ports it to both the latest XBOX system & the PS5, since they've already had a partnership with AMD in the past. So they might be able to more easily port a PC game to near PC components with less effort, to draw in more customers on those systems that would also make free SC accounts to secure their SQ42 achievements and potentially purchase / back SC if they also happen to have or when they happen to have a PC that can run SC.

Reactions: Bambooza

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
This guy is kinda a big deal in the streaming world right?
I think he teamed up with a bunch of other streamers and made their own prebuild PC company, only recognise him because their machine was featured on Linus Tech Tips.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
This guy is kinda a big deal in the streaming world right?
Sorry for the double quote, I just went on that video to see its views...

1698178302157.png

Holy hell quarter of a million in 24 hours...

Forgot your password?