Squadron 42 visual teaser... Let the discussion commence

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Hmm if you look at the 360° (very quick i've to say) those doen't look like ground veicle but more like converted and customized version of a Mustand and of a Cutlass.
Is like some one take those two ship and do on them a MAdMax makeup... with orange led trip all over... They are weird in some way and I can't say I don't like them....

I also mistake that for a Pioneer but that is also a mining station: the bridge is not the same and it looks smaller then the Pioneer.
And no, it's not the Retribution...actually there is no in-game image of the Retribution as far as I know, but is being worked at least in concept state:

Hope to see it in game at some point....
Ok, so unknown asset at this point. Fair enough.

Now that Retribution though...daaaaayyyyyyuuum.
Can't wait to see that for the first time in SQ42. She's freaking huge!

Reactions: Bambooza and Vavrik

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
Looks great but I will be honest when this game became the monster MMO/SIM/RPG whatever you want to call it SQ42 to me should have been a secondary priority over the game but that is just me. I wonder what we are giving up to get this done, I personally have had over 3 years of subscription plus almost 1k cash into the game and all I see lately is delay delay delay and for a single player campaign that to me wont be raking in any big time $$ to me seems strange. I am also worried about the whole chapter thing, I don't see this game getting 100% done I see them splitting it up and releasing chapters over a period of time and that to me is just another bigger problem, maybe I am wrong but then why call them chapters? Other games have similar chapter/release type systems and none work very well, more times then not they are delayed, bugged or have serious issues.

Again, the game looks great but nothing tells me SQ42 is on schedule, matter of fact everything they posted tells me they are struggling to keep their deadlines for SQ42 which means even more delays and $$ for the main game launch. I will stick by my earlier predictions of cost being an issue and deadlines not being met without compromises and promises being broken.

Reactions: wmk and Blind Owl

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Looks great but I will be honest when this game became the monster MMO/SIM/RPG whatever you want to call it SQ42 to me should have been a secondary priority over the game but that is just me. I wonder what we are giving up to get this done, I personally have had over 3 years of subscription plus almost 1k cash into the game and all I see lately is delay delay delay and for a single player campaign that to me wont be raking in any big time $$ to me seems strange. I am also worried about the whole chapter thing, I don't see this game getting 100% done I see them splitting it up and releasing chapters over a period of time and that to me is just another bigger problem, maybe I am wrong but then why call them chapters? Other games have similar chapter/release type systems and none work very well, more times then not they are delayed, bugged or have serious issues.

Again, the game looks great but nothing tells me SQ42 is on schedule, matter of fact everything they posted tells me they are struggling to keep their deadlines for SQ42 which means even more delays and $$ for the main game launch. I will stick by my earlier predictions of cost being an issue and deadlines not being met without compromises and promises being broken.
S42 is going to be the money stream to get SC finished.

[Warning, the following contains elements of Theorycraft, do not take the below as gospel]

Waaaaay back I predicted CIG would require a secondary revenue stream beyond backer pledges as that although stable up to now always has the possibility to peter out. Since then, the interview during the 10% sale of CIG for $46 million mentioned their preditions and estimating and that they had "A few levers to pull" to generate more funds should the backer pledges start to dry up which means they are keeping a close eye on it, and the reserves (not counting the $46 million investment which is to market S42) went from 14 mill last year to 6 mill this year (with the 46 million they actually have reserves of 52 million which is healthy and rosy) - Even during a record breaking crowdfunding year, how much it costs the studios to run verses how much pledge funds maintain it still needs a little assistance.

That assistance is going to be S42 the single player story driven game with names such as Garry Oldman, Mark Hamill and Gillian Anderson amongst others, it should be a big injection of revenue... and if S42 doesn't bring in the big bucks, if we take it that CIG can still get $46 million for 10% of the business they should be able to bring in enough funding selling up to 39% more of the company to be able to finish SC, albeit without keeping as large a control of the company as they might like.

[/theorycraft]

I am confident they will be able to finish Star Citizen, in one way or another. S42 revenue will bring in some dough, although 2.5 million backers have already bought a copy, which has funded its creation, that $46 million advertising investment is to show our game to the rest of the world who may not have seen just how special this is going to be yet.

I will admit you did call it on Anthem, Phil, so accept your viewpoint with caution, however I can't help but remain optimistic. I think they are still in a strong position to get all elements of the SC and S42 completed.

Last edited:

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
Hmm I both agree with Phil and BobFace in same way...
The release of S42 by chapter is not someting I'm happy-jumping for, but I don't think CIG will be bump it, I assume it's a simple way to start release some finish cotent to the public so they can bring in new customer and shake if the "scum dust" they still be covered on nowaday. Once all the asset like AI, character design and camera motion tool are in.place for one chapter the onli thing left to be done, except for new ship design, is to fill the box, so development should be fairly quick compaared to what we have now (as it does for SC actually).

Concerning the sell of S42 that is another story...
Today there are different space game outthere (with questionable quality IMHO....) but they are there now, S42 doesn't.
Event if SC/S42 have a part in "bring back the space sim" mood if this mood will expire in the next couple of years then S42 will be published in a market that don't care for it, and will fail to get new customers (remember we all already have it, and we are not few for a space sim nowaday...), that is one of the reason, I thnk, while they are pushing the S42 development, so that they can benefit for the retuned mood for space sim.

For future finaces income selling another bunch of the company will not be a good move in the eye of the market: a company that it's selling itself out for getting founds for a product that is not even released is looks like a company that is failing...
CIG have more valuable asset to sell, and that is the tecnology they are developing, Planetaty Tech, FOIP/VOIP, optimized game engine, server mashing tecnology... etc...
Those I thing are avaluable asset for the market, I mean think about an Elder Scroll that is biuld not on a single region but in the entire world, even TSO is limited in the eviroment, and is big, or a Mass Effect that actually have entire planet in them to explore rather that single landing zone, or a Halo game with the entire planet completed rather then single map, or a Fallout worldwide game (like 76.. but better...)
One the tecnology will be flashed out it could be a valuable asset for many company that are willing to build a freaking big game with a beatifull enviroments...

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
I will admit you did call it on Anthem, Phil, so accept your viewpoint with caution, however I can't help but remain optimistic. I think they are still in a strong position to get all elements of the SC and S42 completed.
They won't ever need to sell off percentages of the company.

All they need to do if funds start getting tight, is to start licencing off their better-than-next-gen technology to other companies. I can't really think of any other game that would not massively benefit from the technology they have developed, even at the most baser level of just licencing the workflows and dev software to other studios.

You can bet your bottom dollar there are studios already queueing up "hey Chris so when can we licence this procedural planet no loading screen tech??"

"Not yet" says Chris. "not until we run out of money" he thinks to himself with a smile on his face.

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
I'm into the idea of sandbox gaming but I love a good story. I'm looking forward to SQ42 pointing me in a direction once I've played it, plus I'm hoping it will serve as a much needed (in my case) tutorial on the game itself

Joehockey

Grand Admiral
Donor
Apr 8, 2017
RSI Handle
Joehockey
Honestly, if we get a "SQ42 Release Trailer" that's still only 1080p/30 I'll be pretty annoyed. It's like CIG doesn't realize that their game is outstandingly gorgeous and detailed. I want to see a SQ42 trailer of any kind pushing 4k at 60 and I'll finally be pleased.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Honestly, if we get a "SQ42 Release Trailer" that's still only 1080p/30 I'll be pretty annoyed. It's like CIG doesn't realize that their game is outstandingly gorgeous and detailed. I want to see a SQ42 trailer of any kind pushing 4k at 60 and I'll finally be pleased.
I don't want to see anything in any higher quality than my PC can display it. So 480p for the win!

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I'm into the idea of sandbox gaming but I love a good story. I'm looking forward to SQ42 pointing me in a direction once I've played it, plus I'm hoping it will serve as a much needed (in my case) tutorial on the game itself
I feel the same. I like story arcs that I can follow in an open world game. That;s why I stopped playing Elite - there was no point to the game other than "make money". I know there's shit in the game now, but back when it released, yeah . . .
So yeah, knowing there's the Sons of Orion story arc in SC, and probably more, as well as SQ 42 - Owl is a happy Owl.

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
Hmm I don't think one thing exclude the other... problem is in a sandbox game the story trail soome time got washed out and to prevent this you need a lot of thing to constantly remind you what the setup of the game is.

Thale Skyrim for example: the civil war is always present in form of military camp but olso in the dialog option with people and ion th chatting you hera along the streets...
Problem is that doing that require a lot of efford and attention to detail and some time schedule pressure developer to underdevelope this aspect (and some thime they are also not able to do that...)

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
The video didn't show much of anything that was new. Yes, a couple of Vanduul ships we haven't seen in their rework. One new one. Everything else we have seen. Many of the clips we had actually seen previously, they were just cut together in a different order.

Yawn.

After the vertical slice I was very tempted to just melt my SQ42 pledge and turn it into UEC. I have held off but I am even more tempted now. And if, as speculated, I don't get the entire game for that price, I am definitely melting it.

• Thump
Reactions: Blind Owl

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
The video didn't show much of anything that was new. Yes, a couple of Vanduul ships we haven't seen in their rework. One new one. Everything else we have seen. Many of the clips we had actually seen previously, they were just cut together in a different order.

Yawn.

After the vertical slice I was very tempted to just melt my SQ42 pledge and turn it into UEC. I have held off but I am even more tempted now. And if, as speculated, I don't get the entire game for that price, I am definitely melting it.
I say go for it - and then you can buy a retail full cost copy when the game releases 🙂

I have a copy from my original pledge package but plan to buy retail if they have a physical disc/box version just so I can have a physical peice of merch to hold in my hands and say "Well holy hell didn't we manage to accomplish something here?"

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
I say go for it - and then you can buy a retail full cost copy when the game releases 🙂

I have a copy from my original pledge package but plan to buy retail if they have a physical disc/box version just so I can have a physical peice of merch to hold in my hands and say "Well holy hell didn't we manage to accomplish something here?"
Single player FPS games have never really been my thing. I certainly wouldn't pay full retail for one.
It depends on what the actual thing turns out to be.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Single player FPS games have never really been my thing. I certainly wouldn't pay full retail for one.
It depends on what the actual thing turns out to be.
nor me - that said I really enjoyed mass effect so if they can get SQ42 like a much more modern version of that I will be very happy.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
They have built a pretty unique situation for themselves.

I'm hoping there will be more than one way ti play the game, where you can cut out most of what you don't like, or have a mix of the two...? 'y know like some games where you can go the total Stealth Route or just forget about that and go all guns blazing or even the Pacifist route.

If they haven't done that don't tell Chris I'll take whatever has been built, don't need more delays haha.

Last edited:

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
They have built a pretty unique situation for themselves.

I'm hoping there will be more than one way ti play the game, where you can cut out most of what you don't like, or have a mix of the two...? 'y know like some games where you can go the total Stealth Route or just forget about that and go all guns blazing or even the Pacifist route.

If they haven't done that don't tell Chris I'll take whatever has been built, don't need more delays haha.
I think there will be a good amount of freedom there, may be not as wide as you espect form a totally free sandbox game, but you'll be free to take either the gun-blazing approach or the stealh one, and even the non lethal in some case.
Not sure it will be possibile in all the case tho...

Sky Captain

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 13, 2018
RSI Handle
TheSkyCaptain
Most impressive visuals considering that its all rendered in the game engine. The Vanduul Scythe, Glaive, and Singer stuck out to me as impressive. CIG has done quite a nice job moving those to their next generation looks. And what's up with the Cutlass with guns instead of its front wings?

Ryonin Shonin

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
RyoninShonin
Most impressive visuals considering that its all rendered in the game engine. The Vanduul Scythe, Glaive, and Singer stuck out to me as impressive. CIG has done quite a nice job moving those to their next generation looks. And what's up with the Cutlass with guns instead of its front wings?
I have been looking at frames from the portion with the cutlass... It has created more questions for me.. What are the glowing cables/tubing hanging about the ships. BoredGamer
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSUABwArPOA

Said they belonged to "ship jackers". Maybe they stay in space only and don't need to fly in atmo?

Forgot your password?