Star Citizen wins Worst MMO Business Model from Massively OP. Again.

Sky Captain

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 13, 2018
RSI Handle
TheSkyCaptain
Say what they will, but the game reportedly has raised .... wait for it .... $654M+ .... as of today. Six hundred fifty-four million?!! With more than five million backers!!

From one perspective, it's one of the most successful small business models of all time for a business that still has not released a product. Masters degree theses will be written on this.

Now let's just hope that CIG continues to use that cash to make the most amazing single player and MMO space games possible. We continue to see evidence that they are.

We all want to see more progress. But I also bet that with so much cash on hand that CR doesn't feel a need to rush. The cash enables him to focus on game quality. And that is a good thing.

I grew up on Chris Roberts vision playing the Wing Commander series. I've invested in SC to see that continue into my retirement. I think it remains a good bet, given the cash they have on hand.

Last edited:

NomadicHavoc

Commander
Nov 19, 2023
RSI Handle
NomadicHavoc
The CGI business model might not be practical for most companies much of the time. But, if you have amazing vision/prospects, great products being created, and enthusiastic community eager to consume that product...then you have a winning business model for that particular situation. CIG is doing just fine, and I'm curious to see how much their profit margin skyrockets after S42 and SC are released. Woot woot!

Mudhawk

Rear Admiral
Donor
Oct 30, 2022
RSI Handle
Mudhawk
Nice one great bossman.
And so far off the mark. The price jury, not you.
Worst business model clearly goes to the guys behind "The Day before".
From most anticipated game on Steam to company bancruptcy on release in no time flat.
That one topped all the major categories including disapointment, scam and downright fraud.
Sad to say but how can Star Citizen even compare to a game like that... ;-P

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
Money is coming in now, but what about future funding? No required subscription. No ship sales after release “gold selling “ as a funding mechanism. 600 million which if done right could have been 6 billion. Or 600 million is a few months.

Reactions: Mudhawk and FZD

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
And if CIG doesn't immediately stop this nonsensical crowdfunding model and admit it is a scam, then in a years time massively OP will write yet another sternly written public admonishment of how CIG is succeeding in developing their game. Chris Roberts is no doubt clogging the freelancer's toilet just thinking about it.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
I mean you've gotta be pretty retarded to say that making two thirds of a billion dollars without even releasing a game is a bad business model?

Oh wait these are 2 bit journalists for publications that don't matter a jot to the world? Ah makes sense.

Forgot your password?