Starfield

Scape

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 2, 2019
RSI Handle
Scape_TEST
It will be fun, bethesda have a knack for making great experiences. Plus endless modding potential.
Its going to be a different beast than SC though, I'm curious as to how far you can go before hitting an invisible barrier. And no doubt loading screens-a-plenty......actually....I wonder how many loading screens SQ42 is going to have?🤔

sum1

Space Marshal
Jun 26, 2015
RSI Handle
sum1
We know nothing really about the game. We have yet to see any really gameplay or anything of real value. I really hope it's good. Just remember, no preorders.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I've been waiting for another industry player other than Elite, who were also there (or there abouts) at the beginning, to bring something to the table...

What SC has no one else has bought to the table... yet... whether SF offers full size, fully featured planets or just landing zones and local maps... I think that will present a real problem to SC if a developer like Bethesda has been able to put similar technology to SC together and offer it to market before CIG can put something on the shelves... if not more on a smaller scale(?), it will still be the first one with our tools in front of the mass market.

Is it another sarsaparilla stand or are they selling the same old lemonade everyone knows the taste of with a cocktail umbrella in it...?

A lot of questions still.

Last edited:

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
After seeing the companion trailer, I'm expecting something that's closer to The Outer Worlds (which was a fairly mediocre not-really-open-world shooter) than Skyrim, but nothing at the scale or scope of SC. I'm still hopeful for a skyrim in space though. Will have to wait till June XBox games show for something concrete.

@Shadow Reaper
It does look pretty, but I'd suggest you compare their pre-rendered in-engine cinematics to Star Citizens pre-rendered in-engine cinematics instead of in-game footage. I think SC holds up just fine. If the gameplay will look exactly the same as these few promo shots they released, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
I don't get excited any more. So many games looked good and were garbage, The Division and Cyberpunk for example being two that came across as outstandingly awesome in all the videos and I was really looking forward to only to be met with mass disappointment in the end.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
There seems to be some open discussion of whether you get to fly your own ship in this game, or if it is just a loading screen between locations. If the latter is the case, Bethesda is going to take a terrible hit once SC comes out. I like Bethesda and don't want to see that, but looks like it could happen.

Reactions: Lorddarthvik

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
It's all going to depend on how things work. That said, even if they don't work exactly like SC has promised , if they deliver on a bunch of stuff that SC has not...even if it's not the complete package, I can see CIG taking a bigger hit than Bethesda will later on. After all, CIG has promised the moon, but they have consistently overpromised and under-delivered. If someone can beat them to market with even half the features promised by SC, CIG is going to have to be careful.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
. . .if they deliver on a bunch of stuff that SC has not...even if it's not the complete package, I can see CIG taking a bigger hit than Bethesda will later on. After all, CIG has promised the moon, but they have consistently overpromised and under-delivered.
I don't think it is fair to say CIG has "underdelivered" without a delivery date, unless they specifically call out a game dynamic they once said they'd supply and then say they won't supply it. The only example of that I can think of is they have not honored their word to update and keep updated the ships page. They haven't actually cut game loops or other kinds of dynamic so far as I can recall.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
If this game won't be amazing, Bethesda will catch a lot of flak for doing this instead of pushing Elder Scrolls 6, and those who wanted an open world space game might flock to SC.
If it's awesome, more ppl might get a taste for space world sims and want more and end up as Citizens.
I don't think CiG has anything to loose here.

• o7
Reactions: Talonsbane

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
I don't think it is fair to say CIG has "underdelivered" without a delivery date, unless they specifically call out a game dynamic they once said they'd supply and then say they won't supply it. The only example of that I can think of is they have not honored their word to update and keep updated the ships page. They haven't actually cut game loops or other kinds of dynamic so far as I can recall.
Sorry, as a longer term backer, I am still awaiting things they promised would be delivered in 2017…

CIG is really good about promising things “next quarter, 3 quarters from now, etc., then saying nothing about a missed deadline.
2016 SQ42, sq42 beta in h2 2020, etc. CSOCS will fix everything…SSOCS will fix eveything…now it’s Server meshing will fix everything. Again and again CIG says that this new tech they are developing will fix stuff when it really can’t, because a lot of the limitations are not just programming fixes, but problems with physics and getting people from all over the world to be able to play equally in a twitch based game.

Last edited:
  • o7

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
You're right, underdelivered is incorrect. In 10 years CIG hasn't finished anything, even the basic tech to build a game on. It is a serious understatement.
Nothing is delivered. Not the database, not the render engine, not the tech to make planets, not a single ship, not the flight model etc.

• o7

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
You're right, underdelivered is incorrect. In 10 years CIG hasn't finished anything, even the basic tech to build a game on. It is a serious understatement.
Nothing is delivered. Not the database, not the render engine, not the tech to make planets, not a single ship, not the flight model etc.
They do have 1 thing completed though ... "Soon (tm)"

Forgot your password?