THank you everyone for the advice. All credit sold except an Advaned Hunter package.

Vashpede

Captain
Donor
Dec 4, 2019
RSI Handle
Vashpede
I agree I like the concept of the food buffs, but it should still be a choice of gameplay and not a forced mechanic. How does the player in a dog fight do when he gets really hungry or thirsty, what about players who are hand mining on a barren planet with no actual way to eat or drink their food?

What about you go out and forget food or drink, where do you obtain that on planets without vegetation?

I like the concept, I don't like the forced bad endings that can come of it and is contradictory to what Chris Roberts stated in 2015 in a video, the very first question. There shouldn't be harsh penalties
Well they said it will be "hours" or even having to eat ONCE per play session. I am sure if you notice you're getting low you'll have plenty of time to go get food. It sounds like if you get to the point of starvation, especially in a dog fighting ship that does not have a lot of fuel to travel for long periods of time where you should be starving in the first place, it would be your own fault at that point.

I think it will be a hard feat to starve to death in this game from what I have gathered. I love every bit of what I am seeing as far as the survival mechanics go. I have played survival games quite a bit and this does not even compare and can not be considered a survival game in my opinion.

Last edited:

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
I wonder if this means caves on moons and planets with hostile atmospheres will be smaller than on habitable planets?
Would be kind of a waste to have large elaborate cave systems that nobody can actually fully explore, even with a large group, due to having to return to the ship to eat and conduct personal hygiene activities.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I wonder if this means caves on moons and planets with hostile atmospheres will be smaller than on habitable planets?
Would be kind of a waste to have large elaborate cave systems that nobody can actually fully explore, even with a large group, due to having to return to the ship to eat and conduct personal hygiene activities.
I think your lack of air would be a bigger concern than eating and showering.

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
I think your lack of air would be a bigger concern than eating and showering.
O2 pens are pretty small, even after personal storage is finalized it shouldn't be an issue to carry many of them for exploration, but maybe they'll add exploration suits that have reclamation capabilities, expanded O2 tanks, and the ability to provide liquified foods?

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
O2 pens are pretty small, even after personal storage is finalized it shouldn't be an issue to carry many of them for exploration, but maybe they'll add exploration suits that have reclamation capabilities, expanded O2 tanks, and the ability to provide liquified foods?
I figured you could take the suit that already allows rock storage and as you eat you make room for more ore.

LoicFarris

Vice Admiral
Donor
Mar 1, 2019
RSI Handle
LoicFarris
If it takes say 4 hours to die from starvation, but I have a feeling it will end up being more, I feel that will be plenty of time to explore a cave, and if you have to come back after 3 or 4 hours to head back out it sounds reasonable to me.
Well and the fact is, it's a motivation to load up my pack, walk back to the ship, put my inventory in a box, store it in the ship, have a bite to eat, take a poo and go back in the cave.

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
If it takes say 4 hours to die from starvation, but I have a feeling it will end up being more, I feel that will be plenty of time to explore a cave, and if you have to come back after 3 or 4 hours to head back out it sounds reasonable to me.
I've already spent far more time than that exploring a single cave in-game.

Vashpede

Captain
Donor
Dec 4, 2019
RSI Handle
Vashpede
Well and the fact is, it's a motivation to load up my pack, walk back to the ship, put my inventory in a box, store it in the ship, have a bite to eat, take a poo and go back in the cave.
Yeah I get that and I understand where that might be unappealing to some players, and what I find to be immersive and fun is going to completely different then others, but a small price of a a few minutes to pay for 4+ hours of exploring to me. You may even need to go back to the ship anyways to get more oxypens or to clear your inventory at that point.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
You know what? I have a simple solution. To those that want starvation in game to kill the player, fuck that & I hope that happens to them the most. I say that a fair & decent compromise would be that the player lose consciousness, their bracelet generate a rescue mission, then when the player wakes up, they have to pay a fee to those that rescued them.

Vashpede

Captain
Donor
Dec 4, 2019
RSI Handle
Vashpede
You know what? I have a simple solution. To those that want starvation in game to kill the player, fuck that & I hope that happens to them the most. I say that a fair & decent compromise would be that the player lose consciousness, their bracelet generate a rescue mission, then when the player wakes up, they have to pay a fee to those that rescued them.
Harsh

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
Almost every ship includes kitchen and bathroom facilities. Don't you want a reason for these things beyond aesthetics?
I'm fine with including the eating drinking and shitting being necessary to stave off debuffs, just don't tie it to the death mechanic. Every death ticks you closer to permadeath and this is not a necessary addition.

I've already spent far more time than that exploring a single cave in-game.
So say it does take 4 hours to die from starvation, (the only figure they said was "several hours" so who knows how many it actually will end up being) which @Deroth points out is less time then some cave exploration takes. You wouldn't be able to come back after 3 or 4 hours because you'll be on the brink of death. you'd have two hours at most in this example to take a look around and then start heading back. And once your back out, don't some ships not have a breathable atmosphere so you can take off your helmet and actually eat?

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
I agree I like the concept of the food buffs, but it should still be a choice of gameplay and not a forced mechanic. How does the player in a dog fight do when he gets really hungry or thirsty, what about players who are hand mining on a barren planet with no actual way to eat or drink their food?
I dunno man, it doesn't seem like it'll be that big of a deal. Sure there will be people who forget to eat before they head out in their single seater Sabre or something, but all you have to do is down a bottle of water and eat an energy bar before flying off from a station and you're good for hours. I don't know about you, but I rarely spend even an hour in my fighter before I have to rearm or refuel if I'm changing locations.

I could see it being an issue if someone only has a fighter ship and heads to a moon to hand mine for hours, but then I gotta ask, why do they only have a fighter ship if they're wanting to mine that long? Not to mention, you only have so much backpack space so I don't think you can mine that long. Most people who spend hours on a moon to mine have to have a ship with an internal storage to drop off boxes.

I think it's just blown out of proportion and will only really cause trouble either because of a bug or when physical inventories come into effect and people forget to buy the food for their ship.

Vashpede

Captain
Donor
Dec 4, 2019
RSI Handle
Vashpede
I'm fine with including the eating drinking and shitting being necessary to stave off debuffs, just don't tie it to the death mechanic. Every death ticks you closer to permadeath and this is not a necessary addition.

So say it does take 4 hours to die from starvation, (the only figure they said was "several hours" so who knows how many it actually will end up being) which @Deroth points out is less time then some cave exploration takes. You wouldn't be able to come back after 3 or 4 hours because you'll be on the brink of death. you'd have two hours at most in this example to take a look around and then start heading back. And once your back out, don't some ships not have a breathable atmosphere so you can take off your helmet and actually eat?
Like I also said it will probably be longer than that, I just used 4 hours as a base for the example. They said it will not intrude on gameplay and they are aiming for once per playing session whatever that means. The take away is that they are literally aiming to make it so you do not fall into all these terrible scenarios that everything is freaking out about. Again to me that seems like a small price to pay and it does not seem like this huge deal that is going to ruin the game, but hey that is the beauty of these things, not everyone is going to agree and people will enjoy other aspects more than others.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
I'm not sure you wanting to see people suffer because they enjoy more immersive survival mechanics more than others is fair but hey to each their own right?
I disagree, I'd say that hoping that their characters die most often than others from a mechanic that they wanted taken that far is more than fair. I suggested an alternative compromise where it doesn't kill the player, it only causes them to pass out, have their mobi glass auto generate a rescue mission for them to have other players in the area come to their aid & then pay a reasonable fee to their rescuers instead of it killing them which is linked to perma-death in game. CIG has stated that eventually, ever "death" will gradually move the player towards perma-death for their character. Which will lead to them having to make a new char, face some sort of loss due to inheritance & then go from there. My suggestion add in additional gameplay while saving the player the hassle of dealing with the death issues. How is that not fair?

Forgot your password?