Which should I purchase?

• Total voters

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Ummm confused as they're both totally different ships with totally different roles?

What do you want to do with your life, alien boom booms or dropping meatheads to the pub?

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
If I'm not mistaken, some of the Vanduul style ships have a prerequisite achievement that you have to complete before those ships become available for purchase even during the rare times they are on sale. Is this the case with the Glaive & if so what is the requirement?

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I think you need to decide what you want to do with it before you ask the question. IIUC, the Glaive is designed as a glass cannon, so nothing like the Hoplite. If you want to focus on FPS gaming, the Hoplite is going to be hard to beat. If you want to fly a glass cannon, try the Hurricane first. IIUC, you can actually ram other ships with the blades on the Glaive, and if you're going to do that, it might be worth the pesos, but you can buy two Hurricane for that price, so you better use those blades if you pay for them.

IIUC, it is going to be very difficult to customize the Vanduul ships. They were supposedly designed to make customization a problem. Last I heard there was still no place to put a chiller, and it is built into the reactor. If you can't swap out chillers, you have much less control over the capabilities of the ship. Likewise, the standard weapons loadout is very aggressive and powerful, but overheats very quickly. If you can get onto a target quickly and finish it off all at once, this is fine, but you will be stuck with ramming after that. Also, given the reactor issue, odds are you will never be able to equip the Glaive for stealth. Would be good if you could--alpha strikes at point blank range would make the bird all full of awesome, but could well be the Glaive cannot be made stealthy and the Hurricane may. We don't know yet.

The primary design difference between Vanduul and UEE/Aegis and Anvil military ships is the former hit harder but can't stay in battle, and the latter can take a beating but take longer to kill targets. If you like the more aggressive focus, the Hurricane is the exception to the UEE military doctrine rule, and the Polaris is very close as well, but then again all true Corvettes should be.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
IIUC, it is going to be very difficult to customize the Vanduul ships. They were supposedly designed to make customization a problem. Last I heard there was still no place to put a chiller, and it is built into the reactor. If you can't swap out chillers, you have much less control over the capabilities of the ship. Likewise, the standard weapons loadout is very aggressive and powerful, but overheats very quickly. If you can get onto a target quickly and finish it off all at once, this is fine, but you will be stuck with ramming after that.
Nobody gets a Reaver ship to go stealth.

but you can buy two Hurricane for that price
And yes, this is the wise choice, but on the other hand, nobody who buys a Reaver ship is considered to be wise.

The Hurricane is supposed to be heavy armed, not very agile and not so good armor, show the right side to your adversary and it won't be easy to hit. The Glaive is a big target with a couple of big guns. Every ship has it's purpose.

upload_2018-4-30_17-38-59.png

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
The Sabre is OP again, no fun in flying that ship, Pyros and Omniskys also have some OP issues right now. This question can be answered when everything is balanced.
However, I have seen clips of a Bengal carrier which got ambushed by 3 Scythe.... who the hell is crazy enough to attack a fully loaded carrier with 3 medium fighters? The vid wasn't fair for the Scythe. At that close range the Hornets had to be in space when the Scythe powered up. Otherwise it was Scyte against turret defences. Even without stealth armor, cool optimized systems.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5oOu1_Q5r8&list=PLLZ_XeLxzqTw4-iP9pqyxpZRAjw0J4JLS&index=92

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
The Sabre is OP again, no fun in flying that ship, Pyros and Omniskys also have some OP issues right now. This question can be answered when everything is balanced.
However, I have seen clips of a Bengal carrier which got ambushed by 3 Scythe.... who the hell is crazy enough to attack a fully loaded carrier with 3 medium fighters? The vid wasn't fair for the Scythe. At that close range the Hornets had to be in space when the Scythe powered up. Otherwise it was Scyte against turret defences. Even without stealth armor, cool optimized systems.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5oOu1_Q5r8&list=PLLZ_XeLxzqTw4-iP9pqyxpZRAjw0J4JLS&index=92
Hmmmmm, Sabre is back on top of the pile again eh?

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Hmmmmm, Sabre is back on top of the pile again eh?
The way I see it, "who the hell is crazy enough to attack a fully loaded carrier with 3 medium fighters?" The answer is drunken TESTies. However we would most likely attack with a squadron of Auroras from 1 direction while a few of our Eclipses lay in wait for the Bengal to drop its shields to let out some of the Hornets to deal with the decoys. Then as they say in Total Recall:

Forgot your password?