Voice Acting

SkippyLeDoo

Lame Title
Nov 16, 2013
RSI Handle
SkippyLeDoo
To preface, I'm not sure where this belongs, since it's not SC related and I'm kind of being vain and talking about myself a little. Just move it if I'm in the wrong place.

So recently I've been interested in pursuing voice acting, posting some auditions on the subreddit /r/recordthis and taking people's requests. Today... yesterday (fuck, it's almost 3) I got a message by a guy who said my audition was good and that he'd like use it in his L4D campaign.

It might be a really small part and unpaid, but I feel super encouraged and excited by this. So yeah.

For the sake of discussion, what encouraged you to do whatever it is you do?

Shar Treuse

Captain
Nov 24, 2014
RSI Handle
Shar Treuse
You should volunteer for voice acting for Skyrim mods, I hear Emma needs people for some significant parts for the Vijla mod update.

GrammarGestapo

Pro Chat Necromancer
Jun 8, 2014
RSI Handle
TheGrammarpolice
yay, happy for you skippy!

I do not know what motivates me. Usually shiny things. I do what I want and what I need to do; I tend to do both of them with as little effort as possible regardless.

SkippyLeDoo

Lame Title
Nov 16, 2013
RSI Handle
SkippyLeDoo
I've actually given it a few years of thought before I even tried it out. I don't know what it is about it, but it's something I actually like doing and can see myself doing as a profession. I'm a freshman in college and so far, computer programming to me is... okay, I guess. My interest and motivation in it pales in comparison to this.

GrammarGestapo

Pro Chat Necromancer
Jun 8, 2014
RSI Handle
TheGrammarpolice
I've actually given it a few years of thought before I even tried it out. I don't know what it is about it, but it's something I actually like doing and can see myself doing as a profession. I'm a freshman in college and so far, computer programming to me is... okay, I guess. My interest and motivation in it pales in comparison to this.
you want to be an artist.

Yeah, people who go to college into CS to make games often don't make it out. You study CS because you like coding, the other stuff is just a side benefit. Follow what you love, just make sure you work hard enough to make a profit!

CrashMan054

Commander
Oct 23, 2014
RSI Handle
CrashMan054
Computer Science is for theory and once you study the theory behind the science then you can go out into the field and start turning that theory into practical real-life reality.
Such as making a quadcopter to pick up the boxes amazon delivers, so you don't ever have to leave the house.

SkippyLeDoo

Lame Title
Nov 16, 2013
RSI Handle
SkippyLeDoo
you want to be an artist.

Yeah, people who go to college into CS to make games often don't make it out. You study CS because you like coding, the other stuff is just a side benefit. Follow what you love, just make sure you work hard enough to make a profit!
I honestly don't remember why I'm in CS. I guess I just like computers a whole lot and decided on that while I figured out what I really wanted to do, but now I think I'm figuring that out.

Such as making a quadcopter to pick up the boxes amazon delivers, so you don't ever have to leave the house.
I want one that delivers to my room so I don't have to get up and wear clothes like some freak.

Reactions: CrashMan054

GrammarGestapo

Pro Chat Necromancer
Jun 8, 2014
RSI Handle
TheGrammarpolice
I honestly don't remember why I'm in CS. I guess I just like computers a whole lot and decided on that while I figured out what I really wanted to do, but now I think I'm figuring that out.

I want one that delivers to my room so I don't have to get up and wear clothes like some freak.
attaboy! Pants are for the weak!

ghost53574

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2014
RSI Handle
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/citizens/xgh0st
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/amazon-plans-drone-delivery-service-21069071

Then

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/11/27/faa-collisions-between-drones-and-airliners-spike/

Just goes to show how private companies and government, not just citing the FCC, have conspired (I thought our government said that was illegal LOL) to take down amazon and google drones. Just a bunch of bullshit. Notice that the first drone that Fox shows is an Amazon Prime drone and notice that the whole bullshit thing is around a 'what if' ("see a drone go by and it would quite alarming"). Airports would not allow drones in their airspace so what the political analyst said was complete bullshit just like normal.

As for the OP and for my second post, my roommate wants to go into voice acting and it is not an easy business. Just like anything though if you want to be good at it you need to practice so best of luck to you.

(I'm a little drunk so be polite)

Shar Treuse

Captain
Nov 24, 2014
RSI Handle
Shar Treuse
What is sad is that news reports are starting to have about the same general level of writing quality as internet chatrooms and IM, even not when they're posted on Fox News. I'm not really a grammar nazi, but I do hold professional writers to a higher standard.

"...drones weigh less than 10 pounds, are plastic, have cameras and are measure just a few feet in diameter..."

CrashMan054

Commander
Oct 23, 2014
RSI Handle
CrashMan054
Seriously? Even if a drone hit a plane, it wouldn't do much damage. It would be the same risk as a bird going through the engine.

Designated Drunk

Space Marshal
Feb 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Designated_Drunk
Seriously? Even if a drone hit a plane, it wouldn't do much damage. It would be the same risk as a bird going through the engine.
Wouldn't do much damage? For a light aircraft, a bird strike or a drone strike could be deadly - a larger engine may have better chances, but if you're in a single engine plane and lose the powerplant on climbout, you start praying for an empty field somewhere in front of you.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a 'drone'/RC pilot as well as full-size, but parking your transponder-less drone inside of class Bravo airspace is a tremendously bad idea.

Reactions: CitizenDad
Forgot your password?