What is your school of thought on ship purchases?

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Part of me wants the climb. Part of me worries that the 1-2 hours of contiguous time I get per day to play just won't be enough. Alas the days of 12 hour game WoW sessions are long gone for me!
Good point! I feel ya man, same here lol
But as the game is still years away, I don't wanna spend on assumptions alone. If it turns out that compared to my free time it takes way too long to earn some stuff that I really like, I might pay for it then. But not before I see if I even will be playing it or wanting that stuff years down the line.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
1-2 hours per day isn't that bad right?
I'm perfectly happy if I can get that much playtime nowdays, I think it's reasonable.

But with the travel times, ship maintenance, looking for the right missions and so on... will it be enough to progress at a reasonable pace towards your goals? In this case, let's say buying a Terrapin? It's a rather small ship, so if it would take a year+ to get it with 1-2 hours of gameplay I'd say it's worth buying it now, or never at all cos the system is heavily balanced towards P2W, thus not fun for me.
But these are all just theoretical at this point, that's why I think the "value for money" argument doesn't really make sense yet.

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
We don't know how players selling ships in game is going to work, so buying ships for the purpose of in-game resell is a risky proposition.

I buy ships only when the following conditions are met:
  1. I can afford it at the time
  2. It looks cool
  3. The intended purpose is something that looks fun to me
  4. To support CIG

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Even the looks can change as we see with the recent makeovers. All of what you said is why I feel like it's BS every time Disco says buying a ship should be a commitment (whenever players are complaining about having their ability to trade ships around constricted). Yeah, that might be true when the game is live. Right now though, even flyable ships are largely a question mark.

Operational cost versus profitability is a whole concern on its own (and I think some cap-ship owners are going to be upset by that if CIG holds true to what they said in the Polaris Q&A). But from a real-world money perspective, let's say you have $400 in the game and that's your limit. Do you buy a $350 large ship and a $50 starter ship, knowing that the $350 ship will be extremely costly and difficult to acquire in-game? You could have had a bunch of cool smaller ships for that price, but those are also much easier to earn in-game because of the way prices increase on larger ships.
Yep, even looks have changed, but mostly they have changed to look more like the concept image then to something else. As for the 400 to spend on in-game ships that is the billion dollar question and I do not know what the answer is and I get the impression that not even CR and his directors know. While they might have a general direction they would like to go in they have also shown a willingness to listen to the community and adapt the game play to match the communities desires. We could easily see that the 350 dollar ship by itself is incapable of turning a profit until it is utilized in a large fleet. Or ships like the Carrack while possible to hit a huge payday could spend days and weeks looking for that needle all the while gobbling up a sizeable initial investment.

It could also be that the Idris and Polaris are capable of taking on high pay missions but before you are trusted you have to grind out lower missions to build up enough rep and while it would be possible to do it in those ships you would need a sizable initial bank.

My personal stance is, do not forsake the midships and only have a starter ship and a large capital as you'll most likely find yourself grinding out credits in your starter for a long time while your capital sits in the hanger. Even large transport ships like the Hull C/D could take a sizeable initial investment to purchase enough cargo so that the profit off the sale covers expenses of fuel, crew, and protection. Most games start you out at the bottom and as you learn the game and progress up the tree you gain the capital to make the jump to larger ships. Buy being able to buy ships we can artificially make those leaps without having the game experience and/or capital to support it. Which can leave you in a bad spot especially if you upgrade your starter ship to a larger ship and then have nothing to use.

Make sure you have a good starting ship and then feel free to fill in your fleet with whatever tickles your fancy.

The Aurora and Mustang will always be good ships as they are intended to be starter ships and so the gameplay will be there for them.

The Freelancer, Reliant and Cutlass also are great starting ships as they allow you to do a lot of different tasks while being easily flown solo. If you have a group of friends that always play together then the Constellation would be a good starting ship.

If fighting is your jam then the Hornet, Gladius, Avenger, Buccaneer Hurricane, Defender, Hawk, Vanguard and Sabre would be great starting ships and in fact, I do not see these ships ever not being useful even after a year or more.

Racing if you are skilled will always be profitable from the start but it would be best to get the kills in alpha before it starts to cost as racing while not winning is going to be costly.

If mining is more your style then the Prospector is a no brainer. While it could be possible to jump straight into an Orion and get going especially with enough help from the corp it's still going to have a difficult time and a degree of luck without having enough credits to support setup costs. In fact, I would say if we as a corp focused on mining to start with after finding a mid-grade astro belt then this would put to work a lot from flying explorer craft to find rich nodes, Hull D/E to haul the ore back and fighters for protection while the Orions do their thing.

The Apollo, Mercury, SRV, Vaucan, and Crucible could have missions available from beta onward (could still require enough rep to get the missions) or they could rely more on player generated content in which case they will be hard to utilize until the game starts to mature. They can be helpful in a mining operation but their need and usefulness would be greatly limited. The SRV might be needed to move cargo from the Orion to the transport ships.

Ships like the Hercules, Starfarer, Caterpillar, Hull C/D/E will either need you to utilize one of the starting ships to generate enough starting capital or have you start with a sizeable bank account given you'll need to buy the cargo, before hauling and selling it at a profit. The other usage is as mentioned earlier with hooking up with the corp mining and hauling the ore to market.

Dropships like the Valkyrie, Prowler, Vanguard Hoplite, and Retaliator Base would require large scale combat operations and those tend to always be money sink and typically not attempted until the group has enough capital to start pushing into new territory to find new gear and wealth. The Redeemer might end up being a dropship/gunship in which case it would fit here but its really an unknown ship at the moment.

Bombers (Eclipse, Retaliator Bomber, Gladiator) like dropships are best utilized in fleet operations along with the Capital ships (Hammerhead, Polaris, Idris, Kraken, Javelin), ground vehicles (Cyclone, Nova).

The Alien ships like the Scythe, Khartu-Al, Glavie, Blade, and San'tok.yai are being built out to be very costly to operate with high prices on replacement parts.

The Merchantman might fall into the same group as the haulers but it has been rumored to be able to have internal stores in which case it could be possible to play the long game with low overhead on buying and selling ship modules to players. Of course like the haulers having more starting capital will only help.

The 890 Jump, Genesis Starliner, Endeavor and Constellation Phoenix do not have enough information about their intended gameplay elements to even speculate on.

Sprek

Captain
Aug 27, 2018
RSI Handle
Sprek
Very interesting consensus here. I get the why of purchasing ships in general ("We don't buy ships dummy, we help CIG!"). And that's cool, but also semantics. However you choose to call it.

What's interesting to me is how many folks buy just for looks without much regard to the gameplay or UEC value, even if those are speculative. I would have thought that would be a higher consideration for folks looking to have the best fleet they can for their gameplay interests at whatever pledge level you can afford or feel comfortable with. I will admit, I think the 300 series is great-looking after the rework. It's tempting. But it's also a ship that should be pretty easy to earn in-game relative to any more expensive ship.

As for the 400 to spend on in-game ships that is the billion dollar question and I do not know what the answer is and I get the impression that not even CR and his directors know.
CR has said multiple times that larger ships will cost vastly more in-game because that's the only thing that makes sense from an economic perspective. It's the difference between buying a Cessna and a 777, or a small boat versus an aircraft carrier. We can see it with current in-game pricing. CR has also said these large ships, while costing more, are a much better value per dollar, which we can also see right now with in-game ship purchasing - I think the Hammerhead is actually one of the best dollar for UEC values at the current in-game pricing levels. I'm kind of surprised more people don't seem to care about that.

It does seem to be that since so much is up in the air, the most concrete thing we have is how a ship looks (which can still change, but usually not as drastically as other attributes).

1-2 hours per day isn't that bad right?
I have a sneaking suspicion that things are going to take a long time to accomplish in this game. Consider a much smaller open world game, like Skyrim or BotW. Now remove the fast travel and account for the time it takes to sync up with other players and add in your standard MMO tropes, like FedEx missions, kill missions, etc, all of which require travel. I hope for our sake that we'll still have meaningful gameplay for the time we have, but I'm skeptical.

But these are all just theoretical at this point, that's why I think the "value for money" argument doesn't really make sense yet.
It's true, we don't have any hard answers for much of anything, really. But consider that this game will be in continuous development throughout its life, and things will constantly change. It's the MMO way. So instead of ignoring what we do know because it'll change, I tend to make decisions based on what we know now, then change later when the data changes.

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
I have an Aurora LN because TEST

I have a Mustang Omega because limited edition status symbol

I have a Freelancer MIS because ridiculously over-powered

my only ship which might not be a keeper is my Supah Hornet

Imma wait to see what I enjoy doing in-game before I buy any more ships

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I think the reason so many people buy based on looks is because we’ve experienced ships which don’t match their advertised gameplay mechanic - we all remember what the Constellation was supposed to be, right?
And the Cutlass, who's original implementation was just unattainable without making it an ode to handwavium.

I think a lot of going on vagueness It's right there in the T's and C's we agreed to when we pledged on the concept, it's all subject to change. Look at the Herald - all that asymmetrical goodness really grabbed the original backers. The finished article is by no means unimpressive... but it lacked that certain off-center appeal.

This is where the CCU and Melting systems really come in to their own. I can't imagine a world where at the end of Beta they won't have a huge End-of-Pledging bunfight where we can really pin down our fleets... imagine the salt if there wasn't...

Nicotine

Space Marshal
Well a few friends of mine think that I am crazy to hold on to any small ships or land vehicals and should obviously consolidate them into large ships that give the most value in UEC.

Only problem is that I own nearly all of the large ships already. Only ship of size that I dont own is the Idris, I could convert all my small ships and medium ships into one but I just dont want to. I know I should do it, its just that it would take away a nice goal to asspire to ingame and when you already have a Javlin and Kraken the Idris losess its appeal just a tad.

MurderingPsycho

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 10, 2018
RSI Handle
Zombie_Bait
Well a few friends of mine think that I am crazy to hold on to any small ships or land vehicals and should obviously consolidate them into large ships that give the most value in UEC.

Only problem is that I own nearly all of the large ships already. Only ship of size that I dont own is the Idris, I could convert all my small ships and medium ships into one but I just dont want to. I know I should do it, its just that it would take away a nice goal to asspire to ingame and when you already have a Javlin and Kraken the Idris losess its appeal just a tad.
This one I don't understand. Would you actually want only large and capital ships in this game considering that they are going to be slower, less maneuverable and most wont be able to land on a planet? I guess if you just want to play with others and do huge space battles, then sure, but it seems like the smaller ships will always have an added value from a gameplay perspective.

Nicotine

Space Marshal
This one I don't understand. Would you actually want only large and capital ships in this game considering that they are going to be slower, less maneuverable and most wont be able to land on a planet? I guess if you just want to play with others and do huge space battles, then sure, but it seems like the smaller ships will always have an added value from a gameplay perspective.
I think the general consensors is that you buy only large ships then sell one or two on day one to fund your game play. So if I own 3 Carracks and sell 1 straight away in game then i can afford to buy any number of small ground vehicals or fighters or cargo to make credits from filling my Hull E straight away.

There is an element of risk in this assumption. Can I sell it to a player, if so just where exacttly are they going to get the UEC from on day one? Can I sell it to a vendor or NPC. No one actually knows yet!

Also day one is obviously the time you go out and claim the best land spots you can find on planets using your multiple land claim beacons and not the time to be haggling over the price of a space ship.

Last edited:

MurderingPsycho

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 10, 2018
RSI Handle
Zombie_Bait
I think the general consensors is that you buy only large ships then sell one or two on day one to fund your game play. So if I own 3 Carracks and sell 1 straight away in game then i can affore to buy any number of small ground vehicals or fighter or cargo to make credits from filling my Hull E straight away.

There is an element of risk in this assumption. Can I sell it to a player, if so just where exacttly are they going to get the UEC from on day one? Can I sell it to a vendor, NPC. No one actually knows yet!
Gotcha, I thought you meant that your friends were suggesting that you should only want large ships to actually play the game.

Selling them for UEC would make sense but I'd be worried that if I did that and kept the large ships that I want then my desire to play this game would be pretty low. I'm like a puppy when it comes to video games, I like the positive feedback loop of do stuff, get stuff. If I already have the ships I want and then sell the others for all the UEC I want, why am I playing other than just seeing cool new things? The problem with that one is that since we are all playing from Alpha, by the time the game "launches" we will have already seen all the cool new things.

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
No matter what the cost or the value in UEC, the first thing about any ship must be I would use it. This is the reason I do not own anything bigger than a corvette (orion doesn't really count).
The second issue is what play style do I have and can I use the ship (back to one). So generally I can login for an hour in an evening, with persistence being real this means it is currently unknown whether I can quickly crew a larger ship to use in that time and who knows about NPCs at this point honestly despite the promises (it isn't in until its in).

So I have a mix of easy to use smaller ships and a few hope to use bigger ships. This fits my goal as largely earning money is the end result of activity in the game and not an actual goal. Playing and enjoying the playing is the goal. (I have one fighter because I am not the best at pvp and know it but heh will support the corps with my corpse if needed.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
No matter what the cost or the value in UEC, the first thing about any ship must be I would use it. This is the reason I do not own anything bigger than a corvette (orion doesn't really count).
The second issue is what play style do I have and can I use the ship (back to one). So generally I can login for an hour in an evening, with persistence being real this means it is currently unknown whether I can quickly crew a larger ship to use in that time and who knows about NPCs at this point honestly despite the promises (it isn't in until its in).

So I have a mix of easy to use smaller ships and a few hope to use bigger ships. This fits my goal as largely earning money is the end result of activity in the game and not an actual goal. Playing and enjoying the playing is the goal. (I have one fighter because I am not the best at pvp and know it but heh will support the corps with my corpse if needed.
This is well said, thanks! I have supported the games development, mostly by buying ships. I had to consolidate at one point last year, so now I have 17. Some of them are larger ships that aren't in the game yet.

But there's another way, maybe more consistent way to support the gamed development for those who can't or don't want to buy ships. Become a subscriber. If you don't have the money to "waste" on ships, but you want to support the game, that's a way to get 1 or 2 ships you can try out every month, and figure out what you really want. And you get a gift every month, sometimes that's armor, a new weapon, or civilian clothing, gizmos, etc. It costs $10 US/month or there's a $20 US/month option too for the more spendy folks. You can also save a bit by paying a year at a time.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
CR has said multiple times that larger ships will cost vastly more in-game because that's the only thing that makes sense from an economic perspective. It's the difference between buying a Cessna and a 777, or a small boat versus an aircraft carrier. We can see it with current in-game pricing. CR has also said these large ships, while costing more, are a much better value per dollar, which we can also see right now with in-game ship purchasing - I think the Hammerhead is actually one of the best dollar for UEC values at the current in-game pricing levels. I'm kind of surprised more people don't seem to care about that.

It does seem to be that since so much is up in the air, the most concrete thing we have is how a ship looks (which can still change, but usually not as drastically as other attributes).

Indeed the looks of a ship are mostly the only thing concrete about it. As for the large ships while it is true that they are cheaper to buy outright than to purchase the UEC and then attempt to purchase them in game. As for the ships like the Hammerhead is role currently projected is very limited and we have no clue how it will handle torpedoes. While it can eat fighters all day it could very well be highly susceptible to bombers like the Gladiator and Eclipse (in fact I'd bet money on this being true) and so would be foolish to operate without interceptor escorts which bring their own requirements of a Carrier like the Idris or Kraken. And as the group increase in size to include an Apollo, Terrapin and possibly a Vulcan you are no longer running against small quickly completed missions but have scaled up to needing hours if not days of prep work.

Be very careful with the concept of linear progression on ships I continue to get the feeling that the plan is not to have players go from a starter ship like the Aurora or Mustang to a Cutlass or Freelancer to a Constellation then Hammerhead followed by an Idris before finally jumping to the Javelin as the current kingship.

As I said before I can see a lot of players finding themselves flying mostly in fighters and small crew ships or engaging in a trade specific ship like the Vulture, Prospector, and Hawk. Trading unless you have hours to spend could very much limit you to short runs where ships like the Hull C or lower might be preferred over the larger Hull ships.

We are already starting to see how flushed out they are making the planets and in this last Todd Talk
View: https://youtu.be/6TCL5lk0gtc?t=2839
they are making sure the missions are clustering around each other instead of making players spend lots of time traveling all over the systems.

While emergent gameplay (large faction against large faction fighting for control) and raid like missions will utilize a lot of the larger ships and specialized ships, these fleets will also require a lot of players to be in fighters as well as a large commitment of time. The other side is outside of having a group of friends with lots of time to play daily the smaller ships will allow those with a few hours to get in and accomplish something. I would bet most of the large ships purchased before beta will spend most of their time in hangers after their inaugural flight and hardly be taken out if at all.

So yes buy the larger ships if you have the cash to spend on the game and you like the look of them. But do not only by one ship and have it be a large ship with the hope that you jumped to the top of the in-game progression as you'll be greatly disappointed when you can't afford to fly it and even when you can it's not useful to you.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
The better deal you get when buying larger ships seems to apply primarily to original purchase. Once you have ships I don't think you can save in quite the same way by trading in for bigger. There are probably calculators available online you could use to confirm this. IMHO, there are two great reasons to buy ships: a) you want to fly them, b) you want to support the game.

If the later, it doesn't much matter what you buy. If the former, buy what you want to fly now and worry about the future when it comes.

I love the Polaris, but even though it will be cheaper before it is released, I would probably not buy it before its release and instead buy what I can fly. It's not as if there is a shortage of fun ships to fly. So unless you're purchasing specifically to support the game, buy what you will enjoy flying now. There are so many options I doubt you'll have a short list.

IMHO, right now it's much more important to make the connections with the players than to worry about any specific ship. Team up and ask your buddies what they think? Whether you have friends to fly that Hoplite with you makes a difference whether you buy it or the Razor. I think what you will find once you do team up is you may not need to buy anything for a very long time, since people here do seem to buy, buy, buy and there are lots of options.

How many have Hoplites in their hangars they don't fly fully manned? Just go fly!

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Yep, even looks have changed, but mostly they have changed to look more like the concept image then to something else. As for the 400 to spend on in-game ships that is the billion dollar question and I do not know what the answer is and I get the impression that not even CR and his directors know. While they might have a general direction they would like to go in they have also shown a willingness to listen to the community and adapt the game play to match the communities desires. We could easily see that the 350 dollar ship by itself is incapable of turning a profit until it is utilized in a large fleet. Or ships like the Carrack while possible to hit a huge payday could spend days and weeks looking for that needle all the while gobbling up a sizeable initial investment.

It could also be that the Idris and Polaris are capable of taking on high pay missions but before you are trusted you have to grind out lower missions to build up enough rep and while it would be possible to do it in those ships you would need a sizable initial bank.

My personal stance is, do not forsake the midships and only have a starter ship and a large capital as you'll most likely find yourself grinding out credits in your starter for a long time while your capital sits in the hanger. Even large transport ships like the Hull C/D could take a sizeable initial investment to purchase enough cargo so that the profit off the sale covers expenses of fuel, crew, and protection. Most games start you out at the bottom and as you learn the game and progress up the tree you gain the capital to make the jump to larger ships. Buy being able to buy ships we can artificially make those leaps without having the game experience and/or capital to support it. Which can leave you in a bad spot especially if you upgrade your starter ship to a larger ship and then have nothing to use.

Make sure you have a good starting ship and then feel free to fill in your fleet with whatever tickles your fancy.

The Aurora and Mustang will always be good ships as they are intended to be starter ships and so the gameplay will be there for them.

The Freelancer, Reliant and Cutlass also are great starting ships as they allow you to do a lot of different tasks while being easily flown solo. If you have a group of friends that always play together then the Constellation would be a good starting ship.

If fighting is your jam then the Hornet, Gladius, Avenger, Buccaneer Hurricane, Defender, Hawk, Vanguard and Sabre would be great starting ships and in fact, I do not see these ships ever not being useful even after a year or more.

Racing if you are skilled will always be profitable from the start but it would be best to get the kills in alpha before it starts to cost as racing while not winning is going to be costly.

If mining is more your style then the Prospector is a no brainer. While it could be possible to jump straight into an Orion and get going especially with enough help from the corp it's still going to have a difficult time and a degree of luck without having enough credits to support setup costs. In fact, I would say if we as a corp focused on mining to start with after finding a mid-grade astro belt then this would put to work a lot from flying explorer craft to find rich nodes, Hull D/E to haul the ore back and fighters for protection while the Orions do their thing.

The Apollo, Mercury, SRV, Vaucan, and Crucible could have missions available from beta onward (could still require enough rep to get the missions) or they could rely more on player generated content in which case they will be hard to utilize until the game starts to mature. They can be helpful in a mining operation but their need and usefulness would be greatly limited. The SRV might be needed to move cargo from the Orion to the transport ships.

Ships like the Hercules, Starfarer, Caterpillar, Hull C/D/E will either need you to utilize one of the starting ships to generate enough starting capital or have you start with a sizeable bank account given you'll need to buy the cargo, before hauling and selling it at a profit. The other usage is as mentioned earlier with hooking up with the corp mining and hauling the ore to market.

Dropships like the Valkyrie, Prowler, Vanguard Hoplite, and Retaliator Base would require large scale combat operations and those tend to always be money sink and typically not attempted until the group has enough capital to start pushing into new territory to find new gear and wealth. The Redeemer might end up being a dropship/gunship in which case it would fit here but its really an unknown ship at the moment.

Bombers (Eclipse, Retaliator Bomber, Gladiator) like dropships are best utilized in fleet operations along with the Capital ships (Hammerhead, Polaris, Idris, Kraken, Javelin), ground vehicles (Cyclone, Nova).

The Alien ships like the Scythe, Khartu-Al, Glavie, Blade, and San'tok.yai are being built out to be very costly to operate with high prices on replacement parts.

The Merchantman might fall into the same group as the haulers but it has been rumored to be able to have internal stores in which case it could be possible to play the long game with low overhead on buying and selling ship modules to players. Of course like the haulers having more starting capital will only help.

The 890 Jump, Genesis Starliner, Endeavor and Constellation Phoenix do not have enough information about their intended gameplay elements to even speculate on.
There is great wisdom & thought put into the statement above. @Bambooza needs & deserves another drink. Cheers!

And the Cutlass, who's original implementation was just unattainable without making it an ode to handwavium.

I think a lot of going on vagueness It's right there in the T's and C's we agreed to when we pledged on the concept, it's all subject to change. Look at the Herald - all that asymmetrical goodness really grabbed the original backers. The finished article is by no means unimpressive... but it lacked that certain off-center appeal.

This is where the CCU and Melting systems really come in to their own. I can't imagine a world where at the end of Beta they won't have a huge End-of-Pledging bunfight where we can really pin down our fleets... imagine the salt if there wasn't...
There would be Cry-Smart levels of space salt.

When others tell me that I'm doing something wrong with the ships that I obtain into my hanger, I simply ignore them because it is my account to use & enjoy however I want at the amount that I can feel comfortable backing with. They are welcome to do with their accounts however they want & if they don't have an account, then they have no stake in the game, thus in my opinion no right to have any say in my fun either way.

At this point, I feel & admit that I suck at PvP, so I'll be working on getting better at those in spare time while enjoying the various forms & aspects of gameplay that are most fun for me with my skill set at the moment.

This is well said, thanks! I have supported the games development, mostly by buying ships. I had to consolidate at one point last year, so now I have 17. Some of them are larger ships that aren't in the game yet.

But there's another way, maybe more consistent way to support the gamed development for those who can't or don't want to buy ships. Become a subscriber. If you don't have the money to "waste" on ships, but you want to support the game, that's a way to get 1 or 2 ships you can try out every month, and figure out what you really want. And you get a gift every month, sometimes that's armor, a new weapon, or civilian clothing, gizmos, etc. It costs $10 US/month or there's a $20 US/month option too for the more spendy folks. You can also save a bit by paying a year at a time.
Another good perk of being a subscriber for a long period of time is that if you are a subscriber for a year at a certain level, then you get a discount coupon to use on a ship purchase. The amount of discount you get depends on which of the 2 subscriber levels you choose to support as. The $10 tier grants you 10% off of up to $500 where as the $20 tier grants you 20% off up to $500. These can be used on 1 purchase transaction. I used my 10% off coupon to purchase the Exploration Pack, which made it an even better value to me.

We are already starting to see how flushed out they are making the planets and in this last Todd Talk
View: https://youtu.be/6TCL5lk0gtc?t=2839
they are making sure the missions are clustering around each other instead of making players spend lots of time traveling all over the systems.

While emergent gameplay (large faction against large faction fighting for control) and raid like missions will utilize a lot of the larger ships and specialized ships, these fleets will also require a lot of players to be in fighters as well as a large commitment of time. The other side is outside of having a group of friends with lots of time to play daily the smaller ships will allow those with a few hours to get in and accomplish something. I would bet most of the large ships purchased before beta will spend most of their time in hangers after their inaugural flight and hardly be taken out if at all.

So yes buy the larger ships if you have the cash to spend on the game and you like the look of them. But do not only by one ship and have it be a large ship with the hope that you jumped to the top of the in-game progression as you'll be greatly disappointed when you can't afford to fly it and even when you can it's not useful to you.
Personally, the thing that I love most about games like World of Warcraft is that there are mission givers all over the place that have quests for you that cause you to effectively explore as much of the area as possible. So while I like the idea of missions being clustered by the mission givers, I'm hoping that there will be a massive times amount of mission givers that will give us players reasons to go to the various places, other than just to see what might be there anyways.

Reactions: Bambooza and Shiwaz
Forgot your password?