Windows 10 - reserve your copy for next month when it comes out

thanatos73

Space Marshal
Nov 21, 2014
RSI Handle
thanatos1973
Ya, I gotta do a clean install, for one main reason, I did a dirty upgrade. instead of doing a clean install when I upgraded my rig, I just replaced the drivers for the parts that changed, like the MB. Since the old MB was AMD based, and the new one is also AMD, it was easy. The video card was already installed, so no change there. Its just hard finding time to back up everything, install Win10, and reinstall all my games.

Amon Morell

Space Marshal
Jun 19, 2015
RSI Handle
Amon Morell
Any ideas what to do if you have a pirated version of windows 8 ? I suppose that i cant upgrade it to windows 10...

EpilepticCricket

Space Marshal
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
EpilepticCricket

Flashwit

Space Marshal
Nov 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Flashwit
What's my motivation to upgrade? Call me old school, but if it ain't broke...? Win7 is working fine for me. I mean unless games start becoming primarily written for DX12. I'll wait for you guinea pigs to run out all the bugs & security vulnerabilities. *ha* ...even if it does cost me a hundred bucks in the long run to basically "opt out of the Grand Bug Hunt" (no such thing as free, kids; you have been warned) ;)

(Disclaimer: I'm mostly talking out of my ass. I'm too lazy to back stuff up & install Win10. Honestly I'll probably just wait until my next system build in 3-4 years to upgrade.)
DX12 is a potentially immense performance improvement. I can't remember what the article that I read was, but they saw the improvements of 50%. Obviously that's not going to be real world improvements but I wouldn't be surprised to see improvement in the 25-30% range.

That's easily a good enough reason to upgrade for me.

Huegpaynis

Space Marshal
May 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Huegpaynis
Of fucking course there's no free upgrade for pirates. :p

I plan on waiting a week or a month after Win10 launch to pick up my free copies for both my laptop and desktop. I also will back up everything on my OS drive (desktop files, downloads, notes, etc) on a secondary drive just in case. This is what I usually do when I either do an OS upgrade or a clean install.

I hate doing clean installs sometimes.
I go one step further and unplug my archive, media, and game drives whenever i monkey about with my OS drive. Call me paranoid, but that's my bread and butter steam folder you're fucking with.

Reactions: mromutt

Star Pilgrim

Rear Admiral
Feb 24, 2015
RSI Handle
Star_Pilgrim
I have currently Windows 10 build 10147 installed.
Works well.

And it will auto update to the full version each new update it comes out, little by little.

Huegpaynis

Space Marshal
May 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Huegpaynis
I'm now running win10 10130, and i'm actually impressed; star citizen, or at least the hangar module runs really smoothly, comparitively. I need to get an FPS counter up and running so I can objectively compare, but i'm liking what I see so far.

Huegpaynis

Space Marshal
May 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Huegpaynis
I jumped into the tutorial last night after mucking about in my settings, and unlike on my old win7 install, the thing actually ran. I'm running at 1600*900 on high, and it went from literally 0 fps in the tutorial to ~40 fps.

Reactions: Spicy Spleen

mindfart

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 10, 2015
RSI Handle
mindfart
Furthermore, the people who are trying out the Windows 10 Preview already will be automatically upgraded to Windows 10 release version, no word yet how the licenses are gonna be verified though so people with XPs or Vistas (god forbid someone is still on Vista :/) might want to check it out :p
They changed it a bit;

http://www.ecumenicalnews.com/article/microsoft-windows-10-news-is-it-really-free-30800
ecumenicalnews.com said:
The post has been edited recently, taking away the "and remain activated" portion, suggesting that users of Windows Insider won't be getting a genuine copy after all.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/22/8826117/microsoft-forced-to-explain-who-really-gets-windows-10-for-free
theverge.com said:
If you install a Windows 10 preview copy right now and upgrade to the final release on July 29th and then opt-out of pre-release updates then you won’t be genuine anymore if you didn’t upgrade from a copy of Windows 7 or Windows 8.1. Microsoft says you’ll need to "roll back to your previous OS version or acquire a new Windows 10 license" if you clean installed the Windows 10 preview and opt-out of updates.
BETA testing for life ;P might be good thing for a TESTie ;)

SeungRyul

Spreader of Truth / Master of Hamsters
Staff member
Donor
Oct 30, 2013
RSI Handle
Citizen404
They changed it a bit
Yup am kinda sad since I did clean installs of Windows 10 on my computers. People who are Windows Insiders (essentially beta testers) are gonna get dev builds for free but that is far from ideal. I will probably have to downgrade to Windows 8, get my license, then upgrade again to Windows 10. :(

Huegpaynis

Space Marshal
May 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Huegpaynis
I would be very surprised if they don't have a way to plug in your existing win7/8 key and authenticate on a clean win10 install.

Azmodeth

Grand Admiral
Jun 10, 2015
RSI Handle
Azmodeth
Yeah trouble is, I had to install windows 10 from a fresh install, to fix certain bugs / driver issues. (Thanks goes out to nVidia for screwing up drivers for laptop users deliberately).

Windows 10 can be easy to use, if everything goes perfect. A lot of graphics drivers are having issues though. If anyone needs help, I've done a lot of testing, I might be able to help.
Anyways, I think allowing us to have windows 10 for free was a great Idea. Now, what happens when you need to re-install windows 10 because of some issue ?

Huegpaynis

Space Marshal
May 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Huegpaynis
Saw this chart going around and might be helpful!
Wheres the arrow for th eperson who is running a fresh install of win10 preview and has their win7 key?
Like I said, I'll bve very surprised if people aren't able to go to a website or something and enter their win7 key to get a win10 key for their win10 preview install.

SeungRyul

Spreader of Truth / Master of Hamsters
Staff member
Donor
Oct 30, 2013
RSI Handle
Citizen404
Wheres the arrow for th eperson who is running a fresh install of win10 preview and has their win7 key?
Like I said, I'll bve very surprised if people aren't able to go to a website or something and enter their win7 key to get a win10 key for their win10 preview install.
That chart is just all the confirmed info from Microsoft as of yet and there is a still a month before release so I am sure they will clarify. In the past I was able to upgrade Windows 8 key into a Windows 8.1 key by calling an automated line @ Microsoft and entering my serial so we might have a similar system for Windows 10 but all speculations at this point.

Azmodeth

Grand Admiral
Jun 10, 2015
RSI Handle
Azmodeth
That would be a nice feature. It would be nice if they just give us a windows 10 cd-key to use.

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt
Yeah trouble is, I had to install windows 10 from a fresh install, to fix certain bugs / driver issues. (Thanks goes out to nVidia for screwing up drivers for laptop users deliberately).

Windows 10 can be easy to use, if everything goes perfect. A lot of graphics drivers are having issues though. If anyone needs help, I've done a lot of testing, I might be able to help.
Anyways, I think allowing us to have windows 10 for free was a great Idea. Now, what happens when you need to re-install windows 10 because of some issue ?
From what I read off microsofts information they keep sending me (insider/beta tester for close to a decade) you are getting a new key with 10, a replacement key so reinstalls should be fine, but they like to change things so it may well change lol

mindfart

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 10, 2015
RSI Handle
mindfart
Yup am kinda sad since I did clean installs of Windows 10 on my computers. People who are Windows Insiders (essentially beta testers) are gonna get dev builds for free but that is far from ideal. I will probably have to downgrade to Windows 8, get my license, then upgrade again to Windows 10. :(
Yeah it'll probably depend on if they will support clean windows 10 installs with a legit 7/8 key or something.
I really hope they do, as I don't trust upgraded windows installs hehe

UnderSc0re

Space Marshal
Mar 17, 2015
RSI Handle
UnderSc0re
I don't have Insider anymore or whatever it used to be called (MSNA Alliance?) have they stated if I can do a clean install without installing 7 and patching? I'm already on an upgraded Win 7 to 8.1 system right now. For some reason I was thinking I was able to do 8.1 clean last format but am not sure. I really should really have a better backup plan and label my discs...

thanatos73

Space Marshal
Nov 21, 2014
RSI Handle
thanatos1973
I just read thru the announcements, and it reads, to me, that if you have the Tech preview and opt out when the full release comes, or rather don't opt in, then you OK.

Forgot your password?