I can't seem to get any frame rate at all in 3.23

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Finally wave 4 got around to me. Unfortunately the only time I see, according to Nvidia's monitoring, double digit frame rate is on the loading screen. That is using either render engine option and lowering the screen resolution. It isn't the greatest gaming computer, it only has an Nvidia RTX 350 card but live consistently averages 30 FPS.

Am, I alone in this?

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Whats your CPU and motherboard?

You playing at 1080p or 1440p?

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
It's a decent CPU and a decent GFX card by the sounds of it I think u should get more than 30 at 1080p

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
It's a decent CPU and a decent GFX card by the sounds of it I think u should get more than 30 at 1080p
It doesn't want to get above 8 on either render engine.

Reactions: Garonman

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
It doesn't want to get above 8 on either render engine.
Hudson dropping the rez to 1080 doesn't help and the drivers are the latest? Is there any thermal issues with either the cpu or graphics card? There are anumver of apps that will help you test against it. I'd also use Stat citizen bench tool to see how you compare

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Hudson dropping the rez to 1080 doesn't help and the drivers are the latest? Is there any thermal issues with either the cpu or graphics card? There are anumver of apps that will help you test against it. I'd also use Stat citizen bench tool to see how you compare
Today's patch let the Direct X render engine get above 25 FPS, the Vulcan engine still hovers between 6 and 8.

Live still performs better. The built in thermal monitoring says no issues. I'm keeping overhead low. :)

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Years ago they moved them into their own folders. Haven’t heared of it being an issue in years .
Shows you how long it's been since I last looked at PTU!

Last edited:

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
That does seem odd, have you checked your settings for SC in Nvidia Control Panel? Maybe there's something conflicting with the changes they've made in PTU?

Maybe a shaders issue? Have you gone to this location: %LocalAppData%\Star Citizen
...then deleted all the folders that look something like (could be a few of them for different versions): sc-alpha-3.22.0a_yssarb_0

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
RTX 3050 and 11700H.. is this a laptop? If so, how much memory is allocated to the GPU, and how much do you have in the system?

SC still wants north of 16G to run, and 24G of RAM is not wasted. It'll run with 4 on the GPU but not well, and below 16G of RAM for the game may well tax the page file transfer rates.

Genuinely, and pretty much in order of impact;
1) SSD (pretty well known, for the object streaming system)
2) RAM. 32G if you can shove it in there. I typically see 24G+ in use.
3) Fast multi-threading CPU. The Ryzen X3D series are amazing for this game.
4) Edit: Vulkan capable GPU appropriate to the monitor resolution.

Last edited:

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
RTX 3050 and 11700H.. is this a laptop? If so, how much memory is allocated to the GPU, and how much do you have in the system?

SC still wants north of 16G to run, and 24G of RAM is not wasted. It'll run with 4 on the GPU but not well, and below 16G of RAM for the game may well tax the page file transfer rates.

Genuinely, and pretty much in order of impact;
1) SSD (pretty well known, for the object streaming system)
2) RAM. 32G if you can shove it in there. I typically see 24G+ in use.
3) Fast multi-threading CPU. The Ryzen X3D series are amazing for this game.
4) Edit: Vulkan capable GPU appropriate to the monitor resolution.
It is indeed a laptop.
It is a temporary fix while my gaming computer sits in storage 2000 miles away. It is definitely not the best gaming rig on the market but it works well for 3D graphics which usually puts a higher load on the system than a game. Granted Iray isn't a realtime render engine but it definitely stresses the graphics card. :)

The performance vs. Live is the part that confuses me.

Reactions: Ayeteeone

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
That does seem odd, have you checked your settings for SC in Nvidia Control Panel? Maybe there's something conflicting with the changes they've made in PTU?

Maybe a shaders issue? Have you gone to this location: %LocalAppData%\Star Citizen
...then deleted all the folders that look something like (could be a few of them for different versions): sc-alpha-3.22.0a_yssarb_0
Yes and yes.

Reactions: Ayeteeone

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
The performance vs. Live is the part that confuses me.
PTU has a lot of debugging code in it that does not go into Live releases. It has a noticeable impact, but I can't say if that's actually causing what you experience. During one of the recent shows the Devs mentioned this again, I think it was last Friday's Q&A on the patch.

Forgot your password?