0$ CCU Removal Notice from CIG.

AccidentProne8

Space Marshal
Apr 12, 2015
RSI Handle
accidentproneeight
I'm assuming you tried that Hanger Xplorer browser extension? It really does help a lot (although if you own a lot of ships, isn't going to solve every problem).
I've seen this mentioned a few times, but I get nervous adding extensions to my browsers, especially ones that overlay an account with value tied to it. I can understand avoiding it.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Of course, CIG would rather you buy a new ship than exchange your old one. We can't blame them for that.
Take this example: I have a Cutlass and I'd like to CCU it to a Corsair. I'm okay with paying the $115 difference. If I change my mind, I'd only be able to get back the Cutlass 4 times a year, considering it's the only thing I want to buy back. I don't know enough about the Corsair (and have no idea when it will be flight ready), so I can't be 100% committed to it. What if it's shit when it actually comes out? Am I willing to pay the full $215 to get it and then melt it if I don't like it? No, that's a $100 price difference. Also, I'll lose the LTI (the utterly useless yet game-changing LTI) on the Cutlass if I CCU it and then melt it, so I'll need another buyback token to get another LTI base ship. So I decide I won't get the Corsair.
I've been in this situation for the last couple of years.
90% of my contribution to Star Citizen was until about 2 years ago. Since then, I feel that my investment isn't flexible enough to be worth it to me, so I just stopped buying ships.
I'm not saying my logic is flawless, I'm just explaining why I'm not buying more ships even though I have money to spare.

EDIT: I've bought an Endeavor a long time ago and it's still a long way from seeing the light of day. For my frozen $350, can I test the new ships that become flight ready? I can't. Not without juggling buybacks and CCUs which clog CIG's databases.
I understand this. I'm sitting at the same point with my Cutty Blue and looking at the Corsair. I can sit on the 65 dollar CCU until the Corsair is released, then apply it. But if I hate the Corsair, when I melt it down, I'll have to wait until the Blue CCU is available again before I can fly it. It's kinda frustrating, but on the flip side it also makes me really weight what I want out of the game and my fleet.
I've seen this mentioned a few times, but I get nervous adding extensions to my browsers, especially ones that overlay an account with value tied to it. I can understand avoiding it.
I've been using it for years without issue. I do believe that hundreds if not thousands are doing the same.

supitza

Vault Dweller
Aug 5, 2015
RSI Handle
AstroSupitza
on the flip side it also makes me really weight what I want out of the game and my fleet.
That's reason enough to only spend money on ships once the game is a few months away from launch, when you've seen all the ships in their final form.
I don't think that's what CIG wants, though.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
That's reason enough to only spend money on ships once the game is a few months away from launch, when you've seen all the ships in their final form.
I can respect this. After all I have a 600 and while it looks amazing on the outside the inside and handling are terrible.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
True story. I've mitigated these spending concerns (for the most part) by abolishing the majority of my fleet. It was heartbreaking and relieving all at once.

I haven't really spent money on the game since, other than melting and buying CCUs with the store credit I have.

I resolved myself to be content with the few ships I have, and to spend my time flying with all of you.

That being said, I'm constantly looking at the few ships I have and thinking about how and where I want to utilize my little fleet.

The Corsair is the first big challenge to me, since I chose this new path, as it's an explorer that I want, but in sticking to my guns, I will have to sacrifice something else to get it.

And then I also get to thinking: do I actually need an explorer? Lol. Do I need to have ships just for the sake of having ships?

Ugh.

Why are ships so hard?

AccidentProne8

Space Marshal
Apr 12, 2015
RSI Handle
accidentproneeight
True story. I've mitigated these spending concerns (for the most part) by abolishing the majority of my fleet. It was heartbreaking and relieving all at once.

I haven't really spent money on the game since, other than melting and buying CCUs with the store credit I have.

I resolved myself to be content with the few ships I have, and to spend my time flying with all of you.

That being said, I'm constantly looking at the few ships I have and thinking about how and where I want to utilize my little fleet.

The Corsair is the first big challenge to me, since I chose this new path, as it's an explorer that I want, but in sticking to my guns, I will have to sacrifice something else to get it.

And then I also get to thinking: do I actually need an explorer? Lol. Do I need to have ships just for the sake of having ships?

Ugh.

Why are ships so hard?
I think it's because we want the game to succeed, which more funding will help it do, and we also want a reward for backing early, and to be able to jump in head first when it's finally a complete reality. Buying ships ticks all of those urges. And it's a way to stunt on the non-believers.

That being said, what ships do you have now? Do any of them have good scanners? Good cargo? Could one of your ships make do in a pinch in this role? Do you have the money to spare from real life?

If the answers to those questions are no, no, no, no, yes, then I say go for it.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
And then I also get to thinking: do I actually need an explorer? Lol.
My brother @Blind Owl from another fowl, I think I can help with this question. Unless I'm mistaken, do you not want to travel across the 'Verse to "Exolore" every form of beer & alcohol that ends up in the game? Many exploration ships allow the carrying of some cargo. So when you find a drink that you really like, you can bring extra to the next TEST party to share with us your wonderful exploits.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
That being said, what ships do you have now?
Mercury Starrunner
Vanguard Sentinel
Cutty Blue
DF Black
Do any of them have good scanners?
The Mercury I believe
Good cargo?
The Mercury
Could one of your ships make do in a pinch in this role?
The Mercury (I think)
Do you have the money to spare from real life?
Nope, not really. But I can get it without spending a dime. I'd just have to sacrifice something. Right now that something is the Cutty Blue, lol.
My brother @Blind Owl from another fowl, I think I can help with this question. Unless I'm mistaken, do you not want to travel across the 'Verse to "Exolore" every form of beer & alcohol that ends up in the game? Many exploration ships allow the carrying of some cargo. So when you find a drink that you really like, you can bring extra to the next TEST party to share with us your wonderful exploits.
Haha, yup. The Mercury Star Runner. Lol.
I think CIG's already prepping for the removal. Dragonfly Black to Mustang Beta ($0) is unavailable (Limited Ship), where Dragonfly Black to Avenger Titan ($10) is available.
As far as I am tracking, we haven't been able to buy 0 dollar CCUs in quite some time.

Forgot your password?