1080p Brisket

Myre

Pit Crew
Staff member
Feb 12, 2015
RSI Handle
Myre
Looks beautiful. The sous-vide boiling method is interesting as it makes certain food maintain a rarer look even though they've been thoroughly cooked. Makes boiled fish look like sushi.

that_frog_kurtis

Space Marshal
Dec 3, 2013
RSI Handle
Looks beautiful. The sous-vide boiling method is interesting as it makes certain food maintain a rarer look even though they've been thoroughly cooked. Makes boiled fish look like sushi.
You aren't really cooking it more than you would be if you cooked it conventionally, you are still only getting the same internal temperatures as you would be otherwise. A rare sues vide steak is just as rare as a grilled one. The difference is that you bring it up to that temperature a lot more gradually in an environment where it is impossible to lose any moisture. The result being a steak that is rare edge to edge, not in just the middle and charred on the outside.

TL;DR: its just as rare.

Myre

Pit Crew
Staff member
Feb 12, 2015
RSI Handle
Myre
You aren't really cooking it more than you would be if you cooked it conventionally, you are still only getting the same internal temperatures as you would be otherwise. A rare sues vide steak is just as rare as a grilled one. The difference is that you bring it up to that temperature a lot more gradually in an environment where it is impossible to lose any moisture. The result being a steak that is rare edge to edge, not in just the middle and charred on the outside.

TL;DR: its just as rare.
Ah, I see, all I know on the subject I learned on 10 minutes of a cooking show, thanks for the info! I really want to try this method one day.

EpilepticCricket

Space Marshal
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
EpilepticCricket
Yeah same here, but damn those machines ain't cheap. I'm going to give http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/04/cook-your-meat-in-a-beer-cooler-the-worlds-best-sous-vide-hack.html a go one day though. BTW, that dude Kenji Lopez is pretty switched on, knows his science and how to apply it. Lots of sous vide articles too.
I don't do it often as I prefer the flavor of charcoal grilled steaks (I don't add a lot of seasonings or rubs to my steaks), but I sous vide with a 40 dollar vaccum sealer from amazon and a pot of water on the stove top. I've never tried a cooler, but honestly the only thing that matters is keeping the water the right temp. You could cook dinner in a hot Jacuzzi if you wanted to I'm sure.

that_frog_kurtis

Space Marshal
Dec 3, 2013
RSI Handle
I'm with ya there buddy, smoke, salt and pepper. I have an old Webber I fire up most weekends for a low & slow, or some steaks. We should start TEST Squadron BBQ division.

UbEcLoWn

Space Marshal
Jun 13, 2014
RSI Handle
UbEcLoWn
I just picked up a Weber Smokey Mountain. Going to attempt my first pulled pork tomorrow. I've got the Pork Butt dry brining as we speak.

honcho12

Space Marshal
Oct 12, 2014
RSI Handle
honcho12
Yeah same here, but damn those machines ain't cheap. I'm going to give http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/04/cook-your-meat-in-a-beer-cooler-the-worlds-best-sous-vide-hack.html a go one day though. BTW, that dude Kenji Lopez is pretty switched on, knows his science and how to apply it. Lots of sous vide articles too.
I'm really tempted to combine the beer cooler hack with an arduino DIY cooker and a little pump to keep it at temperature for however long you like. Thanks for sharing the link!

Forgot your password?