DarthMunkee

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 28, 2016
RSI Handle
DarthMunkee
@Printimus: Base64 is incredibly useful, because it has built in error detection. That's important for data that is being transmitted. And you'll probably never really need to be able to decode it manually. probably. maybe.
Early in my Navy career, all the way back in 2003, I worked on MH-60R helicopters that had a built in diagnostic system that would give you error codes in Hexadecimal. If we wanted to know what the meant we had to convert them to binary and then use a big ass book we called the Secret Decoder Ring to see what the binary meant as far as failed systems. Today they just plug a laptop in and it does it all for them but when I was doing it we had to do it all manually. I got to the point where I could do it on my head.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Early in my Navy career, all the way back in 2003, I worked on MH-60R helicopters that had a built in diagnostic system that would give you error codes in Hexadecimal. If we wanted to know what the meant we had to convert them to binary and then use a big ass book we called the Secret Decoder Ring to see what the binary meant as far as failed systems. Today they just plug a laptop in and it does it all for them but when I was doing it we had to do it all manually. I got to the point where I could do it on my head.
I remember the Sea King, we had (I hope it's not "still have") a variant called the CH-124. Slightly different mission, because politics. I was only ever a passenger. They always reminded me of a hand held mixer. My last experience was in the early 90's, and the damn thing was almost as old as I was.

Forgot your password?