19 to go

Barthanes

Admiral
Nov 10, 2013
RSI Handle
BarthanesGraves
Ok so Munken is writing about his experience in the military so i think i am going to do the same.

In 19 weeks after 3 2/3 years of seeing the coasts of seven different countries, debilitating bouts of sea sickness, steaming through 3 typhoons, playing hide and seek with Chinese subs for months at a time, a total change on my outlook on life, gaining new friends, losing old ones, firing an mk 249b and hours and hours of staring at a completely boring ocean horizon; I am finally coming home, just one last ship-wide inspection and i am home free.

Countries I have been to:
Philipines
Republic of China
Peoples Republic of China (two different countries, despite what they both claim)
Singapore (its actually a little mini country like rome and lichtenstein)
Republic of Korea
Saipan
Russia
Japan

Cities:
Saipan
Hong Kong
Vladivostok
Manila
Subic Bay
Donghae
Pyongtaek
Yokosuka
Yokohama
Amori
Guam
Busan
Pusan
Okinawa
Shimoda

Oh and i also had the chance to see a fighterjet break the speed of sound a couple hundred meters away from me.

Reactions: TestBot

Trollmann

Admiral
Mar 12, 2014
RSI Handle
trollmann
Singapore (its actually a little mini country like rome and lichtenstein)
European reporting in: Rome is not a country, Vatican is. Rome is the capital of Italy. Lichtenstein is the name of a few cities in Germany. You're talking about Liechtenstein.

Sorry for being nit-picky

But awesome experience otherwise

SeungRyul

Spreader of Truth / Master of Hamsters
Staff member
Donor
Oct 30, 2013
RSI Handle
Citizen404
Wow that is crazy! I guess from your experiences you were on a U.S. sub? Or a reconnaissance boat? Once you come back moar details pwease :P

Barthanes

Admiral
Nov 10, 2013
RSI Handle
BarthanesGraves
European reporting in: Rome is not a country, Vatican is. Rome is the capital of Italy. Lichtenstein is the name of a few cities in Germany. You're talking about Liechtenstein.

Sorry for being nit-picky

But awesome experience otherwise
Hey at least I am one of the twenty americans that knows Liechtenstein even exists (even though i did misspell it). lol

Wow that is crazy! I guess from your experiences you were on a U.S. sub? Or a reconnaissance boat? Once you come back moar details pwease :p
Destroyer, can't say much more than that.

chrizz

Digital Janitor
Staff member
Officer
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
chrizz
nice. so you are actually on a boat. do they know you're in TEST and what our purpose is ? i hope you are not on the helm... :D

try not to get bored, or you will end like my german comrades at sea bumping into each other for fun and wasting some tax payers money:

(the captain should be honorable member of TEST Squadron)

Reactions: PG89 and TestBot

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Hey at least I am one of the twenty americans that knows Liechtenstein even exists (even though i did misspell it). lol
Destroyer, can't say much more than that.
I think many of us will know Lichtenstein from this guy:

Ulrich Von Lichtenstein!

Good to have you back Barthanes, we will put your experience to good use when you take command of our destroyer group!

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
a total change on my outlook on life, gaining new friends, losing old ones, firing an mk 249b and hours and hours of staring at a .
So let me understand... Is there any particular reason they did not give you the keys to this?

Barthanes

Admiral
Nov 10, 2013
RSI Handle
BarthanesGraves
As a Chinese-Canadian... can you clarify on what you mean by that? (I'm confused)
STORY TIME!

Way way back around shortly after WWII the chinese were fighting a bloody civil war between communist forces and nationalists. The communist forces had numbers and morale that the nationalists couldn't replicate and the nationalists were forced onto the island of Taiwan. The communists never attempted to take the island and today there has been no armistice or peace treaty signed. The communists under Mao Zedong established themselves as the Peoples Republic of China, and the nationalists under Chiang Kai-Shek established the Republic of China. Both countries attempt to claim their government as the true governing body over the collective territories of China.

So let me understand... Is there any particular reason they did not give you the keys to this?
I never got the schooling to use that particular beauty. The people in charge of small arms and crew serve weapons trust me with all the weapons in their arsenal. Even the M2 50 cal.

(he be sayin' "GET SUM!")

So you're in a navy. Is life difficult? Serious question.
It is the toughest thing i have ever done in my life. I have been home for about 25 days in the past 3 years and have spent many, many, MANY hours standing long watches with nothing but merchant shipping and friendly russian oceanography vessels for miles around. The inspections are constant and often pointless attempts to show that the ship can perform its mission, even after it has spent the last 3 to 6 months out to sea doing everything that the inspection is supposed to prove we can do. Not to mention the ship has done little more than host dignitaries and putter around annoying the PRC and DPRK for the past 3 years. Oh and we tried to shoot down a simulation of an ICBM warhead. I don't regret it in the least though.

Last edited:
Reactions: TestBot

zeddie

Space Marshal
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
Test-Dummy
STORY TIME!

Way way back around shortly after WWII the chinese were fighting a bloody civil war between communist forces and nationalists. The communist forces had numbers and morale that the nationalists couldn't replicate and the nationalists were forced onto the island of Taiwan. The communists never attempted to take the island and today there has been no armistice or peace treaty signed. The communists under Mao Zedong established themselves as the Peoples Republic of China, and the nationalists under Chiang Kai-Shek established the Republic of China. Both countries attempt to claim their government as the true governing body over the collective territories of China.
ah... so you basically mean "Mainland" China and Taiwan...

the way we (my parents) sees it is that Taiwan stubbornly refuses to be acknowledged as part of the "bigger China" and wants independence (kind of feels what it's like in Quebec right now... except we're MUUUUCH bigger and not an island) the Mainland isn't too bothered because they have a much bigger army and "lulz u tiny island!" although Taiwan is heavily backed by the "West" (aka. U S A) claiming "democracy!"

in the recent years, they tried to open up the 'borders' to trade and commerce but politically, they're still very much "closed up"

Designated Drunk

Space Marshal
Feb 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Designated_Drunk
I never got the schooling to use that particular beauty. The people in charge of small arms and crew serve weapons trust me with all the weapons in their arsenal. Even the M2 50 cal.
What's that fun looking toy over on the right? Looks vaguely 20mm-ish...

Barthanes

Admiral
Nov 10, 2013
RSI Handle
BarthanesGraves
What's that fun looking toy over on the right? Looks vaguely 20mm-ish...
Nail on the head. Its either the 20mm chain-gun or the 25mm chain-gun I can't tell which from the picture.

Oh and on the subject of navy experiences. Aussie sailors are pretty fu*king funny when drunk or sober, and they say c*** very often. Its like the words sh*t and fu*k for Americans.

o-BHG-o

Space Marshal
Mar 25, 2014
RSI Handle
o-BHG-o
Nail on the head. Its either the 20mm chain-gun or the 25mm chain-gun I can't tell which from the picture.

Oh and on the subject of navy experiences. Aussie sailors are pretty fu*king funny when drunk or sober, and they say c*** very often. Its like the words sh*t and fu*k for Americans.
Kevin Bloody Wilson would agree.

PG89

Lieutenant
Apr 3, 2014
RSI Handle
PG89
nice. so you are actually on a boat. do they know you're in TEST and what our purpose is ? i hope you are not on the helm... :D

try not to get bored, or you will end like my german comrades at sea bumping into each other for fun and wasting some tax payers money:

(the captain should be honorable member of TEST Squadron)
Ohh that's bad >_< but the crash sounds how in "silent hunter" ... oh and at the end there was the soundtrack of a donkey kong game

Forgot your password?