2 BB/s

Stevetank

Lead Aurora Theorycrafter
Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Stevetank
I had been in IT for over 20 years and Crucial used to provide me and my clients with solid and reliable memory upgrades for much of that time. I even bought one of their earlier SSD drives and it still works. (using it in this laptop now) They are a reputable name, unless something's changed.
Right. I've known them for at least a decade in the IT field and I've always used their RAM upgrade kits that had a surprisingly low price with good performance.

I haven't used their SSDs but I would not worry about them failing if I bought one. I trust them.

Crucial is a brand owned by Micron Technology which was founded 40 years ago in 1978.

Tom's Hardware gave their SSDs an award in 2018 for best overall value. In fact they have many awards from 2018 for their performance to cost ratios.

Horatus

Space Marshal
Nov 2, 2017
RSI Handle
Horatus
It is pretty cheap too. A quick search shows my rig is to old for it. meh.

Last edited:

Horatus

Space Marshal
Nov 2, 2017
RSI Handle
Horatus
lol, I just threw in 32GB of Crucial RAM into my new laptop 2 weeks ago, and I currently have 3 Crucial SSD's in my desktops and laptops (and I have 2 more sitting here, waiting for me to install them).

The speeds they quote, though, aren't as fast as the Samsung EVO 970 NVMe M2 SSD's...
They did quote sequential read and writes which is cherry picking the single best performance metric. Randomized Iops would be a different measurements.

glockjs

Space Marshal
Feb 26, 2015
RSI Handle
glockjs
Crucial has been around forever and is usually pretty good stuff. These seem to be a little slow compared to what's out there atm. If you want the fastest nvme go for a samsung 970 or to save a buck or two hp ex920 or WD black. The iops on these drives seem a little slow.

If you want the fastest drive and have money to burn get an optane or wait for samsungs z-ssd. How quick a drive can pull data(iops) is more important than raw xfer speed.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
What is it in SC that needs to pull data quickly from the SSD? Does SC use the drive like "virtual ram" in the past? I recall something about this a decade ago, but I haven't looked at computer technology seriously since I bought my Mac and realized, I didn't need to care about any of that since the Mac never breaks down, and only needs an upgrade about once per decade.

And now I am 11 years in.

I'll replace the Mac hopefully before it dies, but I need to add a dedicated gaming machine, so looks like I need to understand these newfangled SSD's better.

Reactions: Vavrik

Horatus

Space Marshal
Nov 2, 2017
RSI Handle
Horatus
What is it in SC that needs to pull data quickly from the SSD? Does SC use the drive like "virtual ram" in the past? I recall something about this a decade ago, but I haven't looked at computer technology seriously since I bought my Mac and realized, I didn't need to care about any of that since the Mac never breaks down, and only needs an upgrade about once per decade.

And now I am 11 years in.

I'll replace the Mac hopefully before it dies, but I need to add a dedicated gaming machine, so looks like I need to understand these newfangled SSD's better.
My gaming rig is approaching 7 and a half years old. There is nothing wrong with it but i've slowly started looking into upgrades. New motherboards have the SSD slots built in directly to the board so they have access to the PCI bus. That should be a kick in the pants for disk performance.

Reactions: Vavrik

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
What is it in SC that needs to pull data quickly from the SSD?
This is not specific to SC, but I'll explain it in terms of SC. There is a file that SC uses, called Data.p4k. This file is compressed to 48GB. The file contains the software and models for game assets, and decompresses to over 100GB. Yes, that's over 100,000,000,000 bytes. This file is scanned frequently by SC for models used in the scene, the uncompressed version is used. No regular computer has that kind of RAM, so the disk paging file is used to help. MacOS has this capability too. It's not exempt from the laws of physics.

They're essentially a huge bank of non-volatile RAM being used as a hard disk. Non-volatile means when the power's turned off, the content of the memory is preserved. It turns out one of the form factors they use looks like a hard disk. This is so that older hardware design can benefit from the technology. There are other ways of connecting them, including on some motherboards, PCI, PCI Express, and Samsung's M.2. The benefit of using these alternatives is that the length of the connection between the motherboard, and the storage device is minimized. That has a dramatic effect on the speed of the storage device, and these storage devices have data transfer rates that approach that of RAM if they are mounted on the motherboard.

The idea is to have the operating system, SC (or whatever software) and the virtual memory stored on the fastest data storage devices possible. It does not really matter if they are on the same or different devices, but PC internal architecture tends to be the limiting factor here - so we often put them on the same device. Preferably without a 2 or 3 foot cable between the storage device and the motherboard, but you generally don't notice too much. Even SC doesn't seem to be bothered by that.

My gaming rig is approaching 7 and a half years old. There is nothing wrong with it but i've slowly started looking into upgrades. New motherboards have the SSD slots built in directly to the board so they have access to the PCI bus. That should be a kick in the pants for disk performance.
If you want, you can replace your computer's hard disk with SSD and get about (up to) 75% of the gain you would get from PCI or M.2.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadow Reaper
Forgot your password?