3D printing gone wild

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
It's DIabolus's cosplay, partnered with Combust. Combust is a professional prop maker.
It's all 3D printed and has black leather, it requires him to wear a harness.
The work is incredible, it's a functional suit of armor.

And tbh it is much better detailed and completed than my suite.
So... to be more competitive and push myself, if I have time, probably won't, but if I do, I'll try making a real metal suit of the Concierge RSI explorer suit or Navy flight suite.
Waste metal casting. My 3D printers are in pieces from attempting a complicated upgrade which I haven't finished.
Priorities... trying to do too many things IRL atm.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
It's DIabolus's cosplay, partnered with Combust. Combust is a professional prop maker.

So... to be more competitive and push myself, if I have time, probably won't, but if I do, I'll try making a real metal suit of the Concierge RSI explorer suit or Navy flight suite.
Waste metal casting. My 3D printers are in pieces from attempting a complicated upgrade which I haven't finished.
Just don't make the new suit so heavy that it wrecks your back wearing it, or you won't be able to truly enjoy it my friend. Health safety needs to also be a priority. I'm sure that your wonderful wife would agree.

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino

Don't underestimate you, I've seen photo of your suite and you do an amazing work, this suite can be more complex and make more show, but yours are excelent work too!
I'll tthink about making a true metal suite: medieval armor are a tiny sheet of metal, SC one's are fare more thick and it will weight a lot! Plus we already have composite armor for infantry, I'll expect that by the 2950 the armor making is imporved even better, so light material but sturdy as alloy pannel.
If you want realy to prove yourself and make something with more WOW effect how about a carbon fiber build suite, plated in gold leaf as a concierge armor.... it will cost... a bit, but the effect will be amazing!

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Modern 3D carbon composite creates materials stronger than steel and 70% lighter than aluminum. Those numbers will only incrrease if we can put carbon nanotubes into the composite at decent expense. Nanotubes are far stronger than the carbon currently used.

It's a brave new world. Expect next gen mat sci to dwarf what we have seen until now. This what you see in sci-fi is what we are going to see soon.

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
Don't underestimate you, I've seen photo of your suite and you do an amazing work, this suite can be more complex and make more show, but yours are excelent work too!
I'll tthink about making a true metal suite: medieval armor are a tiny sheet of metal, SC one's are fare more thick and it will weight a lot! Plus we already have composite armor for infantry, I'll expect that by the 2950 the armor making is imporved even better, so light material but sturdy as alloy pannel.
If you want realy to prove yourself and make something with more WOW effect how about a carbon fiber build suite, plated in gold leaf as a concierge armor.... it will cost... a bit, but the effect will be amazing!
I learned from my Dad the basics of fiberglass and carbon fiber. About the same thing in how you do layups. He builds his own planes. Prop or jetprop.
The thing with fiberglass and carbon fiber.. is it does flex, and I'd have to do enough layups so it doesn't flex, so that the thin gold coating doesn't flake up due to stress. That would make it heavier.. remember epoxy + the fabric and I would be concerned with sanding if I had to smooth it. the fibers when sanding get everywhere and are very dangerous to inhale. Albeit sure, a carbon fiber helmet would be lighter than an aluminum cast. However, not by too much as I won't make the casts very thick.

I say Diabolus's suit is more detailed because it is, he was able to figure out how to get the heavy arm joints working and has all the details from in game. I had to cheat a lot on the details because making a fully functional suit (each piece like in-game) was not feasible for me at the time. But don't get me wrong, I am not sad at all about it, I am very proud of him and Combust, they are community members in the Cosplay Discord for I think years now, and every time the bar is raised, it makes me really happy. This last CitizenCon Cosplay panel was amazing, I am really happy CIG is giving this part of the community attention, and I'm super happy we're all stepping up our game and improving our craft. It's a really fun and wonderful journey. This whole process.

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
"and every time the bar is raised"
I'm into modelling from... well 30+years (since I was 5-6 years old...) and the ability to continusly improve and experiment new things and tecniques is what continusly keep me into the hobby event if I change subject from time to time... and now I'm starting to make props for me and a friend to a LARP we'll attend in july and just found something new thay I love to do 😊

Looking forward to some other of your work DG, I think we'll all love to see a detailed post on your next work

Forgot your password?