GeneticPredator

Space Marshal
Jan 13, 2016
RSI Handle
GeneticPredator
A Dark Echo
By: geneticpredator
Part 4

I ordered everyone to stay alert and be ready for anything. Our sensors still went on and off, and our radar screens were not working properly. In the far distance we could see small blinking lights close to the biggest planet. What was that? A big fight? Did something big just blow up? Whatever it was we were not going there to find out. We had only three ships, sure both the Redeemer and Gladius fighters could kick some serious butt, but we where far from home with no backup to call upon.

Mira suddenly yelled, "There I see something! I think its two escape pods! Left side 600 meters. Someone might be alive!"

We all looked but it was very hard to see anything with the naked eye. We slowly started making our way there, trusting our sensors and scanners even if they behaved strangely.

We where now almost side by side with the big gray planet, suddenly we saw more flashing lights near the other two planets ahead. What the hell was going on? We need to hurry and get out of there as soon as possible. I felt a chill down my spine, I hadn't been this afraid in a long time. Something was very wrong here, and I didn't want to stay longer than I had to, to find out what was going on.

"I can't get any closer than this: I'm afraid I'll hit them otherwise," I said. "Mitch and Thomas suit up! Get those things inside here now."

Damn - once again I had been too greedy. I should had bought that tractor beam I was offered a while back. Now the guys were gonna have to get out in there space suits and bring the pods in by hand.

Both Mitch and Thomas gave me the 'ready to go' call, and we closed the hatch between the SAR bay and the rest of the ship. As the rear cargo door opened the guys made there way out in to space. Thank god for the jetpacks and magnetic boots they had. Mira was on constant lookout from the bottom turret that was her spot.

"Looks all clear," she said

Thomas was the first one to reach the rescue pod. "It's a girl... She's alive bringing her back."

Good job," I replied. "Mitch, how are you doing?"

"Almost there..."

As Thomas made his way back into the ship and tried to secure the pod, Mitch reached his pod. "This one is alive too, heavy burn injury to the face, but alive according to the sensors on the pod, bringing him back.

I kept a close eye on the scanners and out the cockpit window.

Mira screamed!

"Holy shit! Were not alone! There a ship! Ten o'clock... It's trying to hide." A pause. "Oh no! Something just jumped in on the far side of the planet!"

"More ships? Where I can't see them!" I yelled.

"I'm scanning - hold on. Mitch get your ass back in here sensors are dying again!"

"Holy shit! It's four Maulers and one Kingship!"

"We're doomed!"

I quickly ordered everyone to power down everything except life support, and just pray that they hadn't seen us. One big problem was that even if they hadn't seen us, was that if they scanned our way and saw all the debris they would see us, because debris don't float around in space in v formation.

We were all frozen with fear.

I could hear Mitch's rising breath in my headset. And I could hear Thomas crying in fear.

Everything was silent...

Here we were a long way from home in three small ships, realising that we were in the middle of a Vanduul invasion. All ships powered down and one poor guy fighting for his life to get back to the ship.

I started having visions in my head. The first thing that came to my mind was an old guy in a bar back at the luxury fleet. He have had a bit to much to drink, and suddenly started shouting, "The Vanduul are coming!" He'd continued his doomsday shouts until a security guard came and helped him to his room. Many people in the bar laughed at him and told him to "Sleep it off" or "You're crazy old man, shut up".

No one was laughing now....

To be continued...

Reactions: AstroGimp01
Forgot your password?