A mining org's leader reflections on their being ambushed by a pirate org

Raven_King

Grand Admiral
Donor
Jan 17, 2021
RSI Handle
Raven_King
Loudguns is one of the leaders of a mining-focussed org called Frontier Consolidated, and he makes pretty good videos including mining tutorials and strategy/org building stuff. He posted this one a few days ago, discussing what they learned from being unexpectedly on the wrong end of a piracy action by another org called Mongrel Squad.

He explains why he is in favour of PvP, piracy vs griefing ("pirates have to have an economic motive, griefers just wanna blow up your ship to harvest your salty tears"), the benefit of mining with your org rather than solo, how to reduce the likelihood of such an ambush, and how to be prepared to resist if you don't avoid it. He gives a balanced, magnanimous analysis - no salty tears on show here.

I think it is well worth a watch.

The Siege of ARC L1 - Lessons we learned from our encounter with Mongrel Squad
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwnYdMHXprg
During a Tuesday night mining op we found ourselves set upon by some nefarious space pirates. Breaking down the lessons we learned to help fellow industrialists and explorers stay safe out in the black!

Do we have anyone in TEST Squadron making tutorial and/or strategy videos? Test is so big I assume so, but I don't know who they are.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Loudguns is one of the leaders of a mining-focussed org called Frontier Consolidated, and he makes pretty good videos including mining tutorials and strategy/org building stuff. He posted this one a few days ago, discussing what they learned from being unexpectedly on the wrong end of a piracy action by another org called Mongrel Squad.

He explains why he is in favour of PvP, piracy vs griefing ("pirates have to have an economic motive, griefers just wanna blow up your ship to harvest your salty tears"), the benefit of mining with your org rather than solo, how to reduce the likelihood of such an ambush, and how to be prepared to resist if you don't avoid it. He gives a balanced, magnanimous analysis - no salty tears on show here.

I think it is well worth a watch.

The Siege of ARC L1 - Lessons we learned from our encounter with Mongrel Squad
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwnYdMHXprg
During a Tuesday night mining op we found ourselves set upon by some nefarious space pirates. Breaking down the lessons we learned to help fellow industrialists and explorers stay safe out in the black!

Do we have anyone in TEST Squadron making tutorial and/or strategy videos? Test is so big I assume so, but I don't know who they are.
We kind of have had some, but not a lot. It's a good idea though. In our Discord, check out Rock Raiders.
Also if you're ever looking for someone you can often find some people doing mining in Discord's channels. But there isn't anything formal going on that I know of, just informal.

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
Mongrel Squad has been working the piracy gameplay for years now. It's worth checking out their youtube channel to see who is in their group, and how they operate.

PvP holds no personal interest for me, but it's part of the game, and we DO need targets to shoot at..

Reactions: Vavrik

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Interesting. It sounds like they didn't have any kind of plan for such an eventuality. Makes me wonder what the point was of an entire mining group if not shared defense.

One of the things he did not mention is deception. In this instance, a good bluff can save an entire group. Saying more than that can let the cat out of the bag, but the point is there are more options that pay or fight. You can have a convincing and compelling deception ready as well.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Saying more than that can let the cat out of the bag, but the point is there are more options that pay or fight. You can have a convincing and compelling deception ready as well.
This is true, there are a few options and some of them are surprisingly easy to use.
Also @Shadow Reaper is right - don't go posting suggestions about that here. Even if you're using a spoiler unregistered users can see it.

Reactions: DirectorGunner

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
You are kidding right?

The log on and go find some solo hauler or miner. Its not complicated.
No, boss, I'm not kidding. Because they are often out there trying out the different tools in the game, and tactics for employing them. Sometimes crudely, sometimes effectively, but the point is that they are doing it at a directed, team level.

I'm not saying they are awesome folks in any way at all, other than as targets. But they are putting their exploits out into the public, which will encourage more like them, and provide us intel on how to find them and fight back.

Reactions: DirectorGunner

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
But they are putting their exploits out into the public, which will encourage more like them, and provide us intel on how to find them and fight back.
Uh, you go into discord and get 397 more TESTies in their biggest ships to all jump to your location and simply start shooting at everything that is red.

As is tradition.

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
Between now and when this game actually comes out, 1000 exploits will be discovered and removed. While I understand how frustrating it is for active players right now, Im not too concerned about it in the long run.
By exploit I meant the older definition of actions taken, not the current gamer definition of unintended gameplay. Sorry, bad choice of words on my part.

My point is that they are and have been doing the piracy thing, and can be expected to expand their targets as the game develops. THEY are the content for the 'good guy' orgs, bounty hunters, and PMC's.

Forgot your password?