A way to move premium domains to avoid astronomical renewal fees?

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
I got a few premium domains at GoDaddy for average prices.
But renewals for them with GoDaddy are in the thousands each all of a sudden.
They're all for my career but the renewal fees are absolutely insane now.

A few months ago I was able to transfer one to an Enom partnered register but now, today, I can't transfer any of the others out from Godaddy as now "premium" is not supported.
Something happened in the last few months with Enom where they marked all my domains as premium and disabled any new transfers.
They are all from relatively new GTLDs.

So now I need to find an ICANN accredited registrar that is NOT partnered with Godaddy or Enom AND doesn't consider these domains premium.
Which really no registrar should consider my domain names premium.

Any suggestions? I need to hurry as I only have about 6 months to get these all transferred from the crooks at Godaddy.

I'm reviewing this list
https://www.icann.org/registrar-reports/accredited-list.html

Last edited:

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
In the process of researching, I found this article
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/12/07/dot_web_review/
It seems corrupt business practices that lead to a denied court of appeals on a lawsuit that would have made a difference against those kinds of practices.
This whole gTLD thing is a serious issue.

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
Wait are you attempting to park and sell domain names? If so I'll just bow out as I have nothing good to say about these practices.
Did you miss this part?
They're all for my career...
I checked register4less that you just suggested, their website reports that I'm unable to transfer my domains to them.

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Don't know if this could be of any use for you,
I use https://www.one.com/ for my domain.. etc.. they have very decent prices very high security and including webhotel, webstore, email etc.. etc...
Company is seated in Denmark I been with them for many years and their customer service is from my experience outstanding.
They are also bound by EU laws which prevent monopoly pricing..

CHEERS! 🍻

Wolfy

Space Kitty
Donor
Apr 27, 2017
RSI Handle
WolfytheWarlock
I use Epik. I find it's by far the best host out there. https://www.epik.com/

They specifically have functions for parking domains.

(For full disclosure I do use their affiliate program, I genuinely do like the support they give and a few years back abandoned GoDaddy for them. That link posted above DOES NOT have my affiliate info attached though.)

Last edited:

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
As usual registering services for domain for uorself and the client we both use Aruba services or Register.

Here are the links:

Personally I prefer Register services by far, Aruba site is messi with a lot of separate portal for management of mail, DNS, domain etc, Register if a far more usable site.

PeppaPigKilla

Admiral
Sep 15, 2019
RSI Handle
PeppaPigKilla
Oh Jesus Christ on a bike, I haven't used GoDaddy in over a decade and with good reason, they push their own products hard. I've tried many registrars and ive been satisfied with namcheap.com however, I feel there is no satisfying solution for you.

This is a snippet on when someone asked why they are charged more to renew a premium service

The domains are marked as premium on Registry level (this is not done by a Registrar company such as Namecheap). The price is also established by the Registry and may vary only slightly depending on the Registrar you choose.
I own a lot of domains but they are hobby ones and none are premium so I haven't come across your problem before. I would start to email out to various registrars and see which is willing to the domain transfer at the cheapest price. You may find transferring every year to be the cheaper overall option but not without the effort required but for the renewal prices you're being quoted it will be a worthwhile effort, let me know how it goes, please.

Reactions: Mich Angel

at-2500

Vice Admiral
Donor
Aug 24, 2018
RSI Handle
at2500
I also like namecheap, they give you free Whois guard if I am not confused (and lets be honest, I probably am.) Do you know any local data centre operators? These have a business model that discourages that fuckery. Hetzner is one in Germany that works well.

Reactions: Mich Angel
Forgot your password?