About what happened in Sweden during the afternoon

DarthMatter

Space Marshal
Jul 18, 2016
RSI Handle
DarthMatter
As some of you might have heard already there has been a suspected terror-attack in Stockholm, Sweden.
A cargo truck was stolen while the driver was offloading products. The truck was thereafter driven down a road in the center of Stockholm and crashed into a building.
The attack share similarities with those that have occurred in Berlin and Nice prior.
Police have said that 3 people have died and 8 people have been injured, but don't want to confirm these numbers during the ongoing press conference and wants to await numbers from the medical sector.
Trains in and out of Stockholm have stopped and the area around the building where the cargo truck crashed is off limits to the public due to ongoing investigation.
The reports of gunfire have not been confirmed by police, and to my knowledge only one person has been confirmed to be under arrest (EDIT: No one as been arrested as of 20:12 local time, according to Police. Previous "confirmed arrest" is no longer the case). Police has also shown pictures of a person that was around the area of interest and asked the public for further information on the individual, without further relieving why the individual is of interest.
All available police have been mobilized to strategically chosen public areas and are on high alert.
Swedens threat level is still on level 3, as it was prior to the attack.
No military forces has been called into action, as of now, it's only the police force.
There are, as of writing, no information about motives or suspected groups behind the attack.

Update 20:14 local time:
Trains, metro and buses are slowly starting to run again. Private traffic is also slowly being let back into the more central parts of the city.

Update 20:54 local time:
Confirmation that 12 people have been injured and 4 people have died by the police officer in charge of media-relations. He has also confirmed that one person has now been caught a, bit north of Stockholm, for involvement in the attack.

Update 21:18 local time:
15 injured.

Please remember that a lot of news is only speculation in the moments after events like this.
Remember to fact check sources and what sources media is using, as they often just cite each other due to a lack of information.

(Personal note-edit: If you want to send your condolences to people in Sweden, we are a country with an atheists majority. Prayers are appreciated, but a lot of people are of the mindset that religion is what brought us into this mess. So you may want to think about it an extra time about how to express yourself before posting a "Thoughts and prayers go out to the people..." type post on social media. )

Last edited:

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
My condolences to the people of Sweden and the city of Stockholm. I've been lucky to know several people of Swedish decent over here and they are good people. I hope you find the answers and peace you are looking for.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Damn dude. That's horrible. Let us know if there's anything we can do for you from this end.
My Condolences to you and everyone in Sweden.

Reactions: DarthMatter

DarthMatter

Space Marshal
Jul 18, 2016
RSI Handle
DarthMatter
Damn dude. That's horrible. Let us know if there's anything we can do for you from this end.
My Condolences to you and everyone in Sweden.
In my opinion, push for governments to help educate people in the poor areas in the world.
It would help against the worldview that a lot of extremists are trying to make people believe in, and thereby help in preventing new people from becoming extremists.
If you don't feel like demanding that from your government (don't blame you, I am not that active myself), remind people to be critical of non-official sources and help against the spread of misinformation.

Reactions: Blind Owl

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
In my opinion, push for governments to help educate people in the poor areas in the world.
It would help against the worldview that a lot of extremists are trying to make people believe in, and thereby help in preventing new people from becoming extremists.
If you don't feel like demanding that from your government (don't blame you, I am not that active myself), remind people to be critical of non-official sources and help against the spread of misinformation.
Well said. Very well said.

Reactions: DarthMatter
Forgot your password?