Advice for new dad

LoicFarris

Vice Admiral
Donor
Mar 1, 2019
RSI Handle
LoicFarris
In all seriousness, I have 3 kids and 1 extra that we call our surrogate son... so to put it in Montoya's terms, we bought into the kids thing 14 years ago, got our first DLC 12 years ago, ended up with somebody else's kid 7 years ago, then acquired our third DLC 5 years ago.

In short... you're a Dad and Husband first! As others have said, in the early days it's sleepless nights but gaming won't be a challenge. My 14 year old spent nights being held in one arm as I learned to play what is now known as Vanilla WoW with one hand. As they grow older your time will become more sparse, they'll want to be with you... and you better not let a video game or an org filled with a bunch of drunken fools keep you from that. Nothing's better than hearing my 5 year old say "Dad, do you know why I love you? Because you play video games with me all the time!"

As for being scared AF... don't worry that's normal w/ your first. You'll wanna wrap them in bubble wrap, sterilize the ground they're about to walk on and the first time they bump their head you'll feel like a hardened child abuser. By child number 3... it's a bit different, when they bump their head you glance over, if they're not crying (and by now you speak cry), passed out or gushing blood you keep doing what you're doing. If you catch them eating glue, you make a note to buy more later. In the end it will come to you, hold their head while they're brand new, no sudden movements... they love to be held, anybody who tells you otherwise is an idiot and should be shot. If you're having a boy, get eye protection, if you're having a girl get plenty of wet wipes.

Not sure what else to say, Mom will go through a billion different emotions, just support her. If you don't already learn how to cook or order in. If she's breast feeding keep in mind what she eats the baby eats. FYI breast milk will give the kid the strongest immune system possible while they're in their infancy... just don't do what my Wife did and let it go on too long. She finally stopped when my son walked up to her with a stool and said "I'm hungry." Yes I laughed... and slept in the basement for a week.

atpbx

Space Marshal
Jan 2, 2016
RSI Handle
General Fisting
Hi there. So I am becoming a dad soon and scared AF!

Besides all that, I need some advice from gamer dads. Is it still possible to game with a newborn? If so how do you do it?

I obviously want to give my full attention and be there, but also need the escape of gaming.

How do you balance this?

Thanks!
Babies dont *actually* do anything for ages, and are a piece of piss to look after.

Its when they start toddling about and feeding toast into the VCR that the work starts*

<——two sons 24 and 25 this year, plus I raised my brother and sister when my dad left my mum.

*Your experience may differ, you might not be as awesome as me,

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Most important of all... the power button... you have to protect the power button!!!
Very true!
I changed to a new pc, new case, new button placement and shape. Kid figured it out in 2 seconds flat.

Thank the designers, you can set in Windows to "do nothing" when the button is pushed. Otherwise I'd have to reinstall the damn thing like twice a week from all the power cycling lol

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Ah the joys. The only thing as others have touched on but I would like to stress is you'll try to continue on as normal we all have after the birth of your first child. We have all tried gaming like @Sirus7264 with the child in our arms or in a swing by your side and for a few months it works as they really only eat and sleep. You'll try to sneak off to get some game time in, you'll get frustrated at the interruptions at the lack of solid game time. And it will cause turmoil.

Honestly this is the best time to ask these questions and have a long talk with yourself about what your priorities are and who you want to be.

For me I had to get over the fact I wasn't able to spend the time being proficient in FPS games. That I wasn't able to spend hours a night in raids, that I could no longer get lost for a whole weekend taming dinosaurs. That I had to become comfortable with the reality that gaming took a distinct backseat to the new path I was on and it needed to stay there for the foreseeable future. That I needed to be ok with it being interrupted and being able to walk away and do something else.

There will be time to game again and in fact as @Montoya captured you'll have new mates to game with as their skills grow and then surpass you and hopefully they will still be willing to join you and lend a helping hand.

But that is your far future, your near future will be different. I am sure you'll still find time to game as there will be downtime but do make sure its after everything else that needs to be taken care of has been addressed and not at the expense of that which matters most to you.

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
Ah the joys. The only thing as others have touched on but I would like to stress is you'll try to continue on as normal we all have after the birth of your first child. We have all tried gaming like @Sirus7264 with the child in our arms or in a swing by your side and for a few months it works as they really only eat and sleep. You'll try to sneak off to get some game time in, you'll get frustrated at the interruptions at the lack of solid game time. And it will cause turmoil.

Honestly this is the best time to ask these questions and have a long talk with yourself about what your priorities are and who you want to be.

For me I had to get over the fact I wasn't able to spend the time being proficient in FPS games. That I wasn't able to spend hours a night in raids, that I could no longer get lost for a whole weekend taming dinosaurs. That I had to become comfortable with the reality that gaming took a distinct backseat to the new path I was on and it needed to stay there for the foreseeable future. That I needed to be ok with it being interrupted and being able to walk away and do something else.

There will be time to game again and in fact as @Montoya captured you'll have new mates to game with as their skills grow and then surpass you and hopefully they will still be willing to join you and lend a helping hand.

But that is your far future, your near future will be different. I am sure you'll still find time to game as there will be downtime but do make sure its after everything else that needs to be taken care of has been addressed and not at the expense of that which matters most to you.
Just adjust your hours right? once the kido is asleep get a coulple good hours of game time in before bed let your partner in crime know that those 2 hours are your time and if the little one wakes up they get to handle them for those 2 hours after that its fair game you will take care of him the rest of the night. I pretty much do that from this day on. occationally i get to play a game or 2 with him or he likes to watch and poke my screen and say stuff like Fire Fire! its Fire!.

PeppaPigKilla

Admiral
Sep 15, 2019
RSI Handle
PeppaPigKilla
The best phrase I have at the moment is "how can I help?" because they may not want to ask for assistance. When baby is in bed and you want to play, ask if there is anything you can do to help first. They may want you to enjoy yourself but they may also be on the verge of a mental breakdown too, make it clear to them that you don't mind helping out over playing a computer game and that baby and family is your priority and they should not feel like they are keeping you from playing when there is stuff to be done.
This here is golden advice. Always ask is there anything I can do?

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Just adjust your hours right? once the kido is asleep get a coulple good hours of game time in before bed let your partner in crime know that those 2 hours are your time and if the little one wakes up they get to handle them for those 2 hours after that its fair game you will take care of him the rest of the night. I pretty much do that from this day on.
This does work for a couple days a week. Just don't forget your partner and time spent alone with them. And honestly once they reach around a year and are starting to sleep through the night it does get easier. It could be that waking up early morning is a better alternative (second daughter liked waking up at 4:30 and so I picked up the morning shift). So it was not don't carve out time for yourself it was more caution against carving out time at the expense of other priorities.

occationally i get to play a game or 2 with him or he likes to watch and poke my screen and say stuff like Fire Fire! its Fire!.
These are fun times, until they start asking to use the mouse and or keyboard then they start wanting to take over.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
This here is golden advice. Always ask is there anything I can do?
Yep. Just be sure that your tone is one that conveys wanting to help, not just asking so you can do what you really want. The minute you ask “anything else?” in an exasperated tone, you lose all the points you earned that month. Remember, they are already dealing with children (babies) so if you start acting like a child about not getting to play with your friends, your partner will start treating you like a child. You are responsible for your kids. Time to be a grown up...

Last edited:
Forgot your password?