Aiming with Gimbals Issues in 3.2 - Super Hornet Case

Mastersan

Space Marshal
Aug 14, 2017
RSI Handle
Mastersan
Hi All,

Just wanted to check if I'm the only one getting the below issues with aiming while using gimbals in 3.2?
I mainly use Super Hornet for fighting, so no sure if it could also be ship specific.

There are couple of issues:

1) The aim marker and actual hit place are not aligned. When you are in a fight, you will see the main aim/crosshairs, and a circle, which represents the aim marker that you should put over your target in order to hit it (the marker shows where you shots will land, taking into account the speed, rate of turn, etc.). What I see in 3.2 is that no matter how well you align the marker to target, the shots go anywhere but into the target. The only time where the marker is accurate is in a straight line flight, which is not very handy for a gimbal setup, as a major advantage of gimbals is to be able to stay on target during dynamic maneuvers, when your ship's nose can't be looking straight at the target (that's good for fixed).

You will know what I mean if you watch this video: it's my video from last year and I use the above approach in dynamic fight often (not pretending to be a top gun, just to illustrate what I mean and why it's critical to have all gimbaled weapons focused on the target).

2) The rate of turn for Ball Turret and Canard Turret are different, while they were the same in the past. So, currently, in a dynamic fight, when you follow the target with aim marker, the Ball Turret reacts quickly, and keeps track of the target. However the Canard Turret is really slow and can't catch up with fast moving target, which results in much less fire concentration on the target.

The two issues above result in quite a bad fighting experience, and what could be destroyed in seconds in previous releases, now takes a very long time to take down.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
What I see in 3.2 is that no matter how well you align the marker to target, the shots go anywhere but into the target. The only time where the marker is accurate is in a straight line flight, which is not very handy for a gimbal setup. . .
IIUC, the marker would be fine for fixed guns but does not add the two new degrees of freedom you have with a turret. If I'm characterizing this properly it ought to appear in any turret or gimbal, and is what was supposed to be fixed for 3.2. So what are other people seeing?

Reactions: Vavrik and Bambooza

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Though specifically for the Super Hornet, the issue is getting worse. The top turret... doesn't line up with the aim. It's in the patch notes as an issue, and there are multiple issue council notes.
[EDIT: Seems fixed a little later when they released the 3.2.1 build to PU]

Last edited:
Forgot your password?