All aboard the hype train! Dune is back

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
One of my all time favorite sci fi books is back in hollywood. Now I'm not saying that the movies so far have been bad. They just never really lived up to the book. It's one of the first space operas and honestly, I don't know if any movie can stuff that much story into a 2 hour package. That's not going to stop them from trying again though. This time, the director from the new Blade Runner movie is taking the reigns. He didn't completely hose that franchise. So I have hope.

The killer part is the cast. Duncan Idaho will finally get his proper level of badassery courtesy of Jason Momoa. The tough as nails Gurney Halleck will be played by Josh Brolin. The "Beast" Rabban sounds like it will be perfect with Dave Bautista. Spiderman's latest crush (Zendaya?) is playing Chani. Dr. Selvig from the Avengers series (Stellan Skarsgard) will be Baron Harkonnen. Oscar Isaac (Poe from Star Wars) will be the Duke Atreides and the list goes on. It's supposed to be coming out Nov 2020.

Now if you will excuse me, I'm long overdue for a re-read of Dune.

EDIT: There's also a TV series coming out, Dune: The Sisterhood. It is supposed to be about the Bene Gesserit order. It'll be for Warner's new streaming service. Whatever that's worth.

Last edited:

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Kinda interested in this, especially that its filming right next door (roughly 20miles away) from me, just like Blade Runner did. Asked a couple of my friends in the biz if they could get me in to the set but no luck this time.
This is one of the few times when I regret not going into the city regularly enough. Lots of ppl have bumped into Mr.Momoa and he was really chill about it, a very nice guy, the opposite of the characters he is known for (like Ronan in SG:A or GoT).

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
Yeah, about a month or so ago, i finally watched the original movie (it was bad, lol) but saw that they are in the making of a new version. Hope its good! I still gotta read the book, its sitting there on my shelf taunting me!

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
One of my all time favorite sci fi books is back in hollywood. Now I'm not saying that the movies so far have been bad. They just never really lived up to the book. It's one of the first space operas and honestly, I don't know if any movie can stuff that much story into a 2 hour package. That's not going to stop them from trying again though. This time, the director from the new Blade Runner movie is taking the reigns. He didn't completely hose that franchise. So I have hope.

The killer part is the cast. Duncan Idaho will finally get his proper level of badassery courtesy of Jason Momoa. The tough as nails Gurney Halleck will be played by Josh Brolin. The "Beast" Rabban sounds like it will be perfect with Dave Bautista. Spiderman's latest crush (Zendaya?) is playing Chani. Dr. Selvig from the Avengers series (Stellan Skarsgard) will be Baron Harkonnen. Oscar Isaac (Poe from Star Wars) will be the Duke Atreides and the list goes on. It's supposed to be coming out Nov 2020.

Now if you will excuse me, I'm long overdue for a re-read of Dune.

EDIT: There's also a TV series coming out, Dune: The Sisterhood. It is supposed to be about the Bene Gesserit order. It'll be for Warner's new streaming service. Whatever that's worth.

It kind of wonder if it would be better to do this as a 3 part movie.

Reactions: Bruttle

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I recall the movie from back in the 80's was injured for a terrible soundtrack, and ridiculous voiceovers (severe no-no in screenwriting). I liked the actors, but surely someone will do better.

Wasn't there also a made for TV miniseries back in the 90's or early this century?

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
I recall the movie from back in the 80's was injured for a terrible soundtrack, and ridiculous voiceovers (severe no-no in screenwriting). I liked the actors, but surely someone will do better.

Wasn't there also a made for TV miniseries back in the 90's or early this century?

Syfy did a miniseries in 2000. It wasn't bad. Unfortunately, it wasn't really good either. I actually liked both the original and the miniseries but in the same way I like many mediocre movies. I can appreciate a crappy but entertaining movie.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Certainly no one has ever done the books honor with a film, but if you'll recall; the books are filled with internal dialog that does not transfer to the screen (limited omniscient), so writing the script is a huge challenge and it will never be possible to please everyone. The film in the 80's tried voice-overs for the internal dialog, and that just ALWAYS sucks. The miniseries tried to do without and I think all the greatest drama--what is happening inside Paul Atreides--was lost.

The only way to do the source credit is to completely rewrite the dialog to pull the internal conflicts to the surface, and most people will hate that too.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
For all it was a cheesy syfi movie, their version was a lot better than the David Lynch version. However, I did not go beyond Dune into the other books, so I don’t know how good those were.

Forgot your password?