All Red Star XV Formation Flying Clinic

AstroGimp01

Space Marshal
Jan 31, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroGimp01
Was out of pocket last few days attending the All Red Star Formation Clinic in Porterville, CA (KPTV). Total of 7 jets (1 L-29, 1 AlphaJet, 2 L-39's, and 3 Siai Marchetti S-211's), a Shorts Tucano, an RV-7, a Glasair II-FT, a Thorp T-18, 2 T-6's, about a half-dozen T-34's, and about a dozen each Nanchang CJ-6's and Yak-52's. 70 pilots/instructors, we were launching 70-100 training sorties per day, with 2-5 ships each. There are national air forces that can't meet that operational tempo.

My home field of Gillespie (KSEE) put up 3 T-34's and 5 Yak-52's, almost 1/4 of the attendee's.

Got lots of good training in including flying as #3/Deputy Fight Lead for all my flights, including with both of the T-6's, was a real treat. I was unfortunately so occupied I don't have a lot of pictures from my flights but there are lots getting posted from professional and amateur photogs alike.

Highlight for me was winning the Carrier Landing Competition - basically a spot landing contest judged by an actual Navy LSO. Flew against 14 other pilots including former Navy/Marine aviators with actual carrier experience.

Finally got to stretch the Yak's legs a little and they are little (short). 3 hops on the way up, made it in 2 on the way down but was BINGO fuel on touchdown both times - perfectly legal but just so. Average cruise at 8500' was in the 140-ish kt ground speed range, @ ~13-14 GPH. Flying up near Edwards with the guys was a treat.

My Carrier Landing Competition award and Top Hook patch

Our arrival into KPTV as a four-ship

Taxiing in

T-6 on the wing (so fucking cool)

Probably going to be a poster on my 'Me' wall in the hangar and in my offices

And wouldn't be a 'Gimp post without a vid, here you go - quick highlights
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sEtE32Or68

And here is me leading an element landing (2 planes landing in formation)
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9EcByEQnUc

'Gimp

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I love you 'Gimp. Someday I wanna sit behind you and shoot the moon. Or shoot at the moon. Or just admire a really sweet moon. On a lady.

Regardless. I wanna ride shotty with you

Reactions: AstroGimp01

Designated Drunk

Space Marshal
Feb 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Designated_Drunk
So jealous! Congrats on the spot landing award, and that formation rejoin of yours looked super clean!

Reactions: Blind Owl
Forgot your password?