Amazon Open Sources Lumberyard Engine

stockish

Space Marshal
Nov 24, 2018
RSI Handle
Stockish
Official blog release, also has a nice quip about CIG processes (just kidding)

"These developers end up choosing either to spend critical dollars reinventing the wheel, or to use proprietary solutions that can be difficult to customize."

This is honestly the best thing for it, just like Unreal and Unity, now more tech and assets can be incorporated once made by users.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Yeah its great news for Lumberyard.

They have to play a bit of catch up to Unity and Unreal, but they have Amazon backing it and what ever incentives it comes with for Amazon services.

CitizenDad

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 3, 2014
RSI Handle
SlvmL0rd
Oh anyone else around here doing New World I tried it out the first couple alpha's or whatever and had some fun. I feel like TEST and New World would be a good fit. This is good news for Lumberyard for sure and with Bezos Bucks behind it Lumberyard will surely be a big success eventually.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Oh anyone else around here doing New World I tried it out the first couple alpha's or whatever and had some fun. I feel like TEST and New World would be a good fit. This is good news for Lumberyard for sure and with Bezos Bucks behind it Lumberyard will surely be a big success eventually.
I wouldn't bet on it. Amazon is not one to prop up failing projects. But in this case, because they are attempting to create a marketplace to continue to expand on their fireTV app marketplace I can see them continue to fund their Lumberyard project.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Yeah we have a group going for it already https://www.guilded.gg/TEST/groups/5d2pArA3/channels/eaa321da-5ef9-4030-8800-b0719c3cb405/chat

I wouldn't bet on it. Amazon is not one to prop up failing projects.
They have yet to have their breakout popular game on Lumberyard. Star Citizen will likely be the first big MMO success.

New World is fun, but Im not sure how appealing it will be for the masses just yet.

Reactions: CitizenDad
Forgot your password?