Angry Joe on Atlas

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Since I haven't played a single second of Atlas, I feel as qualified as any YouTuber to give my opinion...

It seems like people are saying the game is fun, as long as you aren't bothered by the fact that some/most/all the assets were originally supposed to be in Ark (which you may or may not have paid full price for).

@Montoya are you still enjoying Fallout 76? YouTube is full of angry reviews about that, mostly centered on recent events re: sales of marketing items (like rum) and the potential for lootboxes...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLl1dLOCzwY

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
@Montoya are you still enjoying Fallout 76? YouTube is full of angry reviews about that, mostly centered on recent events re: sales of marketing items (like rum) and the potential for lootboxes...
The percentage of people that ordered these items make up a small fraction of the total number of active FO76 players. If you have 1000 people enjoying the game, but 10 people angry about a nylon bag getting all the media attention, that is what you are seeing at the moment.

To be clear, I do feel Bethesda needs to take a lesson here. If they promised a canvas bag, they need to deliver a canvas bag. If the rum bottle is plastic encasing a glass bottle, show that in the advertising. Lootboxes... that should not surprise anybody. This is a game as a service, they need ongoing revenue, so anybody pretending to be shocked is either stupid and/or naive.

I knew exactly what FO76 was going to be before I bought it. It turned out as expected. It may have issues, like most MMO's do at launch, but nothing that can't be fixed.

Plastic rum bottles and the possibility of a lootbox has not changed my enjoyment of the game.

There is a lot of common sense criticism that FO76 players are putting out, Bethesda should pay close attention to the player base in the coming months if they want this game to last.

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
I refunded and was approved for refund already.
It's Ark: Pirate edition and more broken than Ark was in it's early days.
I put something like 4K hours into Ark in the first year or two of alpha...
It's absolutely horseshit to me. Plus, I've a disdain for Ark after my wife and I were perm banned for something we didn't do.
Jeremy S. is imo an asshole.

I did give it an honest try through, because so many TESTies were/are playing it.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
I refunded and was approved for refund already.
It's Ark: Pirate edition and more broken than Ark was in it's early days.
I put something like 4K hours into Ark in the first year or two of alpha...
Interesting.

You are the second person I have spoken to that was very active in Ark, but is not interested in Atlas.

I assumed that if you liked the one, you would like the other.

@Sethious was an Ark addict, he too is not interested.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
The percentage of people that ordered these items make up a small fraction of the total number of active FO76 players. If you have 1000 people enjoying the game, but 10 people angry about a nylon bag getting all the media attention, that is what you are seeing at the moment.

To be clear, I do feel Bethesda needs to take a lesson here. If they promised a canvas bag, they need to deliver a canvas bag. If the rum bottle is plastic encasing a glass bottle, show that in the advertising. Lootboxes... that should not surprise anybody. This is a game as a service, they need ongoing revenue, so anybody pretending to be shocked is either stupid and/or naive.

I knew exactly what FO76 was going to be before I bought it. It turned out as expected. It may have issues, like most MMO's do at launch, but nothing that can't be fixed.

Plastic rum bottles and the possibility of a lootbox has not changed my enjoyment of the game.

There is a lot of common sense criticism that FO76 players are putting out, Bethesda should pay close attention to the player base in the coming months if they want this game to last.
To me, the most disturbing part of all this "merch" stuff is the level that Bethesda is willing to monetize game ideas, without understanding the level of devotion (fanaticism?) that a lot of gamers have for the game. It is almost like all the true gamers in the corporate structure have left, and nobody but the marketing suits are left...who have no qualms about cashing in on every aspect of the game brand.

At some point, they are going to dilute the value of the brand. Kind of like Star Wars, more is good, but getting absolutely inundated by it, contstantly? People get tired of it.

Reactions: DirectorGunner

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
We just started a real push into PvP and so far we're having a blast.

The game is buggy, true. It's sometimes laggy, true. It borrows heavily from Ark, true.

None of these things bother me. It's super early in early access. It's funny that things that were broken in Ark early on are also broken here, but whatever. Early Access.

TLDR it's fun but if you have no patience for bugs you should wait to try it.

In the interim TEST is now working toward total PvP server domination! Join us if you like.

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
Atlas is literally an Ark DLC. No joke, it is an Ark DLC relabeled as a "new" game. The worst part about the servers is there is a limited starting areas. If those areas fill up, no one can join until those people leave those areas. So 90% of the world can be empty and those few starting areas would be filled and you can't join the game. It's Ark though and a lot of people enjoy Ark and Ark gameplay is fun, but if you purchase the game with the intent of buying it as it is marketed, you will be let down.

Frad in'Ryth

Vice Admiral
May 25, 2017
RSI Handle
FradinRyth
Interesting.

You are the second person I have spoken to that was very active in Ark, but is not interested in Atlas.

I assumed that if you liked the one, you would like the other.

@Sethious was an Ark addict, he too is not interested.
You can up that tally to three. I went far enough into Ark to set up a dedicated server out of my house for my friends and I which I left running all the time (It was good enough for 4-5 folks at a time so nothing spectacular but still gave us our own world without the hackers and exploiters. We all more or less wrote off the whole thing when it was clear they were going to keep bleeding money out of the player base instead of supporting the product we'd already paid for. We're not anti-dlc but the dlc needs to genuinely improve and expand the game not just be a new map with tweaked server settings.
I'm not at all shocked that Atlas is Ark: Water World DLC or that the launch is a shit show.

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
You can up that tally to three. I went far enough into Ark to set up a dedicated server out of my house for my friends and I which I left running all the time (It was good enough for 4-5 folks at a time so nothing spectacular but still gave us our own world without the hackers and exploiters. We all more or less wrote off the whole thing when it was clear they were going to keep bleeding money out of the player base instead of supporting the product we'd already paid for. We're not anti-dlc but the dlc needs to genuinely improve and expand the game not just be a new map with tweaked server settings.
I'm not at all shocked that Atlas is Ark: Water World DLC or that the launch is a shit show.
The vast majority of the islands as well are literally copies of the starting islands, either flipped, rotated, shrunk, or enlarged.

glockjs

Space Marshal
Feb 26, 2015
RSI Handle
glockjs
The only Atlas I need:
you should check out repopulation. it's a game that died but then it was bought by another company then resurrected. i get updates because i bought into the original and they are going to honor what was sold before. the new company is actually making some good progress imo. it would be closer to SWG than ark though.

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
I honestly don't get why people keep complaining about this being essentially an Ark DLC.

So what!!??

It's a significant update. And it's cheap!

Most other companies charge FAR MORE for DLC and offer far less as far as new playable areas or mechanics.

Atlas is an Ark spin-off with updated art, dinos removed, cool new multi-crew pirate ships, new crafting/talent system that forces team play and a MASSIVE map. And it's cheap.

If you think that is worth complaining about then I'm sorry. In the big picture, it's a pretty good deal for what they are trying to deliver if you ask me.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Atlas is an Ark spin-off with updated art, dinos removed, cool new multi-crew pirate ships, new crafting/talent system that forces team play and a MASSIVE map. And it's cheap.

For $60 people should bitch about it.

For $25, I agree completely!

Reactions: Radegast74

August

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Aug 27, 2018
RSI Handle
August-TEST
Personal feelings aside (I don’t have a dog in the fight), longer term viability is my concern about buying in to the game at this point.

The developers are charging $43 AUD ($35 with current promotion) for a game which is overwhelmingly criticised. Without a significant turn around in user and critical reviews, I doubt it will be financially successful enough to be viable.

That said, if there’s $40 of fun to be had from the game as-is - fantastic. It looks like there are a lot of players on Steam.

F3327B1C-32FF-4129-B8A1-1383A1B2A133.png

Forgot your password?