Angry Joe on Atlas

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
I bought BattleTech, at 50% off using my refunded money from ATLAS, instead to play with @Black Sunder while I wait for Anthem to be released.... in meantime I have goofing off time in FO76 and SC to pass time. Not into the whole PvP "lose everything" appeal or deep mind numbing grind that is Atlas... aka Ark with Pirates but worse because no decent amount of dinosaurs and farming is super shit imo because of the amount of resources it takes to build things. Not to mention... the survival aspect with vitamins and BS is too excessive for me.

Reactions: Phil and August

August

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Aug 27, 2018
RSI Handle
August-TEST
Battletech is excellent and I would happily join a TEST campaign ... assuming time zones worked (meaning evenings on the East coast of Australia).

Reactions: DirectorGunner

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
Personal feelings aside (I don’t have a dog in the fight), longer term viability is my concern about buying in to the game at this point.

The developers are charging $43 AUD ($35 with current promotion) for a game which is overwhelmingly criticised. Without a significant turn around in user and critical reviews, I doubt it will be financially successful enough to be viable.

That said, if there’s $40 of fun to be had from the game as-is - fantastic. It looks like there are a lot of players on Steam.

View attachment 11557
In US dollars it's $25.

If you can get more than 10 hours out of it, it's worth it IMO.

You can probably get closer to 100 or even 1000 hours out of it if you enjoy this type of PvP.

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
I bought BattleTech, at 50% off using my refunded money from ATLAS, instead to play with @Black Sunder while I wait for Anthem to be released.... in meantime I have goofing off time in FO76 and SC to pass time. Not into the whole PvP "lose everything" appeal or deep mind numbing grind that is Atlas... aka Ark with Pirates but worse because no decent amount of dinosaurs and farming is super shit imo because of the amount of resources it takes to build things. Not to mention... the survival aspect with vitamins and BS is too excessive for me.
I used to play the old MechWarrior games I am not into the pvp that much but I would love a current Mechwarrior with campaigns! I hear Battletech is only pvp ???

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
I honestly don't get why people keep complaining about this being essentially an Ark DLC.

So what!!??

It's a significant update. And it's cheap!

Most other companies charge FAR MORE for DLC and offer far less as far as new playable areas or mechanics.

Atlas is an Ark spin-off with updated art, dinos removed, cool new multi-crew pirate ships, new crafting/talent system that forces team play and a MASSIVE map. And it's cheap.

If you think that is worth complaining about then I'm sorry. In the big picture, it's a pretty good deal for what they are trying to deliver if you ask me.
People are complaining because the marketing is lying about what it really is. It is not okay to be lied to, thats how people push deceptive bullshit is when people start accepting bullshit marketing and deceptive tactics. Case in point was no man sky. Thats like, "So what he lied to us about the game, he delivered it to us an entire year later." Atlas isnt an Ark spin off, it literally is an Ark DLC and the map isnt massive its just the same few islands repeated. Its buggy and they are playing it off as if it is a brand new game. They delivered Ark and marketed it to you as something it isnt.

Last edited:

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Is it me or is angry joe looking really ill now. I think all the anger has taken it's toll on his health. :(

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
Here is a perfect example of why im baffled by people are accepting this bullshit. If any of this was happening in Star Citizen, everyone single one of you guys would be royally pissed off. You can't be selective in your standards then complain you dont know why people are keeping those standards across all games as if only selective people should adhere to those standards. The developers of Ark and Atlas have never been consistent in how they deliver and what they say, they have always been manipulative in how they market and their expectations vs deliverance.

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
Here is a perfect example of why im baffled by people are accepting this bullshit. If any of this was happening in Star Citizen, everyone single one of you guys would be royally pissed off. You can't be selective in your standards then complain you dont know why people are keeping those standards across all games as if only selective people should adhere to those standards. The developers of Ark and Atlas have never been consistent in how they deliver and what they say, they have always been manipulative in how they market and their expectations vs deliverance.

We have like 30 people playing it right now and we're having a blast. The game is easily worth $25 as far as we are concerned and it fits within our expectations.

It seems like your expectations were unrealistic and that's the source of your frustration with the game.

At the end of the day the value we are getting far exceeds the cost and it doesn't matter to us whether you or anyone else liked their marketing or not - that doesn't impact either the fun we're having or the low cost we paid.

TLDR let's agree to disagree.

halfsane

Space Marshal
Jan 2, 2014
RSI Handle
halfsane
I can see both sides. I just wish they didn't show that almost completely faked trailer and maybe showed something more realistic. lets be real.. the game will never be what that trailer showed, but it looks fun.

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
We have like 30 people playing it right now and we're having a blast. The game is easily worth $25 as far as we are concerned and it fits within our expectations.

It seems like your expectations were unrealistic and that's the source of your frustration with the game.

At the end of the day the value we are getting far exceeds the cost and it doesn't matter to us whether you or anyone else liked their marketing or not - that doesn't impact either the fun we're having or the low cost we paid.

TLDR let's agree to disagree.
I didnt have any expectations about the gameplay. My complaints have absolutetly nothing to do with the gameplay, the gameplay is Ark and I enjoyed Ark and I wouldnt expect people to not enjoy Ark style gameplay. My expectations where what the game stated it was supposed to be, I expected exactly what the steam page said it was going to be and based on the trailers it showed and it isnt like that at all.

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
Steam says 29% of 15000+ users were positive, not a good start lmao.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
That is surprising to me.

Even when Ark was in full swing, I never saw as many channels full of people playing the game as I am seeing now playing Atlas.

I guess of that 29% positive reviews, a lot of them must be here in TEST.

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
That is surprising to me.

Even when Ark was in full swing, I never saw as many channels full of people playing the game as I am seeing now playing Atlas.

I guess of that 29% positive reviews, a lot of them must be here in TEST.
Ya from what I have read one the biggest complaints is the misleading trailer lol.

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
That's because the vast majority of those reviews are from people who don't understand what EARLY ACCESS means.

In other words, the reviewers were morons who had no business buying the game on day 1. They had even less business rating the game badly for not working on day 1.

You can safely ignore the reviews. It's a good game, worth more than the $25 it costs.

Forgot your password?