Anthem demo this week, is the game worth buying?

sum1

Space Marshal
Jun 26, 2015
RSI Handle
sum1
@Montoya you know I love Destiny, and you know I have been hesitant about Anthem, I want to play the open trial before I buy, but I am thinking about getting Anthem very hard, and here is why, they have finally shown off some hard-hitting, precision, weapons, everything I had seen and used up to this point was RNG after the first few rounds down range, I hate that. One of the things I love most about Destiny is that I know where each round is going, as long as I control the recoil. As long as these guns are useable and comparable I will have a good time. Also with classes, I see about as much difference between them as I see in Destiny, more in some ways, less in others. but I do like the armor loot changing how each ability acts, I think it gives more long term options for adding more and more ways to add new abilities to the game as the game goes. I wish there were more Mass Effect, or Division style ADS (Aim Down Sights) options for other guns. The long and short of it is as long as I am able to shoot with a limited bullet RNG spread, and rather rely on my ability to hit my mark (oh hi mark) I will be much more likely to buy.

If I buy, I will start with the Ranger, then try the Storm and Interceptor to see what I like, whatever lets me play a tactical game where I can outsmart and outshoot anyone in my way. The same way that hunters in destiny give me the ability to outplay others.

In short, for the last week or so, is the first time where I am excited for the possibilities of Anthem, in the past I have been hopeful but skeptical.

atpbx

Space Marshal
Jan 2, 2016
RSI Handle
General Fisting
I have Origin Premier or whatever it is, specificslly for this, It looks fun, but I hacd heard nothing about long term support, DLC, raids, end game etc.

So i will see how it pans out and what platform sees the biggest playerbase and take it from there.

sum1

Space Marshal
Jun 26, 2015
RSI Handle
sum1
Same here.

A lot of what we have seen is all spray n pray weapons in Anthem.

If there is a good sniper build, Ill be all for it.
The "Heavy Pistol" in Anthem is just a Handcannon from Destiny... so that works for me. I want DMR's or semi-auto sniper rifles, and then hard hitting slow firing feels like .50BMG sniper rifles. and if it has those in a good place balance wise I will be happy.

Reactions: Scape

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I find myself curious as I still log into Warframe from time to time. But I hated the RNG and bullet sponge of The Division as your level and gear level mattered far more then your skill when taking down mobs and even other players in the PVP darkzone. Never did pick up Destiny but I saw it as more of a RPG that played at being a FPS in skin only. With the RNG ruling all in both damage dealt and loot acquired so that you could possibly do more damage next time if RNG showed favor upon you.

sum1

Space Marshal
Jun 26, 2015
RSI Handle
sum1
Never did pick up Destiny but I saw it as more of a RPG that played at being a FPS in skin only. With the RNG ruling all in both damage dealt and loot acquired so that you could possibly do more damage next time if RNG showed favor upon you.
Not how it works in destiny, your damage is based on your power level, that is an average of all your gear and weapons. and the level of the enemy you are fighting. every drop you get is guaranteed to be higher power until you reach the endgame soft cap. getting to the hard cap is not hard, just understanding powerful rewards. but at a point power level does not matter based on the activity you are doing.

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
I'm just hoping Anthem deviates from the Destiny/WOW model of "if you play less than your friends, you can't play with your friends."

That's a really stupid model that all gamers should rebel against IMO. Some people have more time than others, and sometimes RL stuff happens that requires cutting back on game time.

Any game that punishes you by locking you out of playing with friends is pure evil - they're just trying to steal your time and they give you nothing worthwhile in return.

One more thing I love about the intent behind Star Citizen.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
I'm just hoping Anthem deviates from the Destiny/WOW model of "if you play less than your friends, you can't play with your friends."
Much like Warframe, drop in any time. If you are too low leveled, your higher leveled friends can carry you through.

Reactions: Scape and Bambooza

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
First impressions, its fun I enjoy the game play, will it last longer than 2 or 3 months? I can't tell yet, with division 2 soon I don't know that I would choose Anthem over D2. After several tries and over an hour on the stronghold mission just to get booted out and never complete it I can see this being an issue it seems you don't get any loot or XP if you don't complete it but I am not 100% sure yet. Anyways I think for people looking to kill a few months and don't mind spending the 60$ it will fill that gap, as for sinking hundreds of hours into it I honestly can't tell yet it seems like it will end up like Destiny where it gets repetitive and boring but that is my first impression.

Hybus

Space Marshal
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Hybus
Tried it last night, had a reasonably good time, play effect kinda reminds me of mass effect Andromeda, maybe it's because I was messing with that recently, all the jumping and shooting. Ran reasonably stable last night, only got booted out of one mission. This morning different story, was rubber banding like crazy. But that's why they demo(see beta). I'll admit, I seem to be preferring the colossus, but then again in most mmo's I end up being the tank

Reactions: Phil
Forgot your password?