Any reason not to apply this CCU chain?

Raven_King

Grand Admiral
Donor
Jan 17, 2021
RSI Handle
Raven_King
Hello! I'm putting a CCU chain for a Polaris LTI, which at the moment looks like this:

1653479001679.png

I've got some store credits to use up, and will be putting in new money for the warbond CCUs, and the rest.

I can think of one reason not to apply the CCUs straight away: the Polaris isn't flyable. On the plus side, the loaners are a Hammerhead and a Vanguard Harbinger, neither of which I own. Any big fans of those out there want to sing their praises?

I could also partly apply the CCUs up to e.g. the Hull A, or Taurus, which I don't have otherwise and would kinda like to try out beyond the rental period during ILW - I'm too busy this week to play much.

I've spent many hours mining quant in a Prospector, and I liked it, but I slightly prefer my MOLE for mining quant now. So 'meh' to the Prospector.
I have a Hurricane (just acquired as a CCU), and a Scorpius (bought the original concept), so no real reason to apply this chain to get those, except maybe to have a backup Scorpius...

To the folks who have more experience than I do in CCU chain building, can you think of any other reasons to wait before applying this CCU chain?
An anticipated price bump somewhere? Other wb CCU offers likely coming in Fleet Week in November? Or is this about as good as I can get with the few warbond CCUs I have?

Cheers!

• o7
Reactions: Talonsbane

DrunkSpacePeej

Commander
Dec 14, 2021
RSI Handle
DrunkSpacePeej
I would, at minimum, not apply anything until the end of Invictus. All warbond CCUs are supposed to be available again during the finale so you can get a better picture of things and double checked that you didn't miss any savings or whatever.

I could also partly apply the CCUs up to e.g. the Hull A, or Taurus, which I don't have otherwise and would kinda like to try out
I've been treating CCUs the same way, and I think that is a pretty big benefit to the process.

Doyzer

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 31, 2017
RSI Handle
Doyzer
I would wait too because not flyable. There will be other warbond between now and end of year to help you save even more money.

If you do wait, make sure you BUY a Hammerhead to Polaris. That caps how much you will spend for Polaris and allows you to add in future warbond ccu's.

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
Well, one reason I can think of, is you can knock another $5 off if you throw in the currently available 325A Warbond CCU.
I mean, it's just $5 and you're obviously not trying to save every penny, but it's available right now so there's really no reason not to.
And at the end of the Invictus, there's going to be at least Valkyrie, Vanguard Sentinel / Retaliator Bomber warbonds available again, those would actually save you like... another $40 or so. As I recall, that Valkyrie alone is $25 off and I think Vanguard was like $15? So that's worth a short wait.

EDIT: As for longer term, if you want to collect a bunch of predictable flight ready discounts, there's Vulture that's coming out soon, Hull B, C and D that will come at some point in the future (and you'd need to wait till IAE anyhow to get those. Ah, vulture too). Actually, lots of things you could get in IAE: SRV, Expanse, Vulcan, Railen, Crucible, Endeavor (Endeavor or Crucible could save you big, like, hundreds in one fell swoop, but they're long ways away.) Genesis Starliner, Liberator, BMM... On the available right now side, we got Legionnaire, Corsair and San'tok.yai might be....

There's really a long list of ships we just know will go up in value. And most of those would fit in your chain. But it's a wait of several years, though, you'll probably be waiting for Polaris a similar length of time anyhow.

Side note: I'd advice against spending $25 on a warbond CCU when a $5-10 version is available. Yes, you want to secure those CCUs to a ship that's permanently available, but if at all possible, you should do it like {permanently available ship } -> {ship that's closest to the warbond price} -> {warbond CCU target}. So two CCUs instead of one. This is because you're likely going to have an easier time of finding new deals between those warbond CCUs, if the gap is wider. Additionally, you get to spend store credits on the {permanently available ship } -> {ship that's closest to the warbond price}, and only require fresh cash on {ship that's closest to the warbond price} -> {warbond CCU target}.

Last edited:

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
Hello! I'm putting a CCU chain for a Polaris LTI, which at the moment looks like this:

View attachment 22914

I've got some store credits to use up, and will be putting in new money for the warbond CCUs, and the rest.

I can think of one reason not to apply the CCUs straight away: the Polaris isn't flyable. On the plus side, the loaners are a Hammerhead and a Vanguard Harbinger, neither of which I own. Any big fans of those out there want to sing their praises?

I could also partly apply the CCUs up to e.g. the Hull A, or Taurus, which I don't have otherwise and would kinda like to try out beyond the rental period during ILW - I'm too busy this week to play much.

I've spent many hours mining quant in a Prospector, and I liked it, but I slightly prefer my MOLE for mining quant now. So 'meh' to the Prospector.
I have a Hurricane (just acquired as a CCU), and a Scorpius (bought the original concept), so no real reason to apply this chain to get those, except maybe to have a backup Scorpius...

To the folks who have more experience than I do in CCU chain building, can you think of any other reasons to wait before applying this CCU chain?
An anticipated price bump somewhere? Other wb CCU offers likely coming in Fleet Week in November? Or is this about as good as I can get with the few warbond CCUs I have?

Cheers!
Really you will save a ton if you wait. There will be unreleased ships that will jump in price by the time the Polaris is flight ready, and tons of warbond CCU for sale before then.

The BMM is supposed to be finished before the Polaris so you should use that as intermediate CCU for saving (currently BMM is 550). But there are a lot of ships in between the Scorpius and the Polaris, for which you will have warbond most probably this year.

This is an exemple of something you can do waiting (with CCUs from the past 2 years). I know this is not accurate to what is currently available, but here is an exemple of "savings for a Polaris" over time. I can do better even but here I am using MSR (upgraded from starter packages) already made as tokens.

In that exemple if the BMM jumps to 600 or 650 or event 700, the Polaris will be under 200$ in the end (if BMM at 650 or 700). You wont get a deal as good as this one currently, but you could easily do a Polaris for 450$ last IAE 2021 and 2020 also with only the CCU warbond sold during the IAE. So you should really wait.

1653510872025.png

Last edited:

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
In short, grab the warbond CCUs available now, store them, wait, grab more warbond in between your token and target ship, and pray ;)

If the CCU wont be usefull in the end you can still melt them and use the credit in a ship.

That's my philosophy, I buy all warbond CCU that are released all the time, hoping to get great deal in the future. So far I have not melted any but when my fleet is finally assembled, I will either get rid of all unused CCUs (reselling) or melt them in the process of building the fleet.

Last edited:

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
How on united earth did you save 50 cents on something? Like, did you travel to CIG headquarters and CR validated your parking or something? O.o
That's because it started with a discounted starter pack at 40.50 $ ;) A Mustang here.

Packs often have decimals when discounted.

1653512471656.png

• o7
Reactions: Talonsbane and FZD

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
That's because it started with a discounted starter pack at 40.50 $ ;) A Mustang here.

Packs often have decimals when discounted.

Oh wow. I've not noticed that. Thank you, my curiosity has been sated.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
The only thing that I can state for sure, is that in the CCU chain game, patience can pay off well. Over the past couple years, I'd slowly been adding a bunch of Warbond CCU's to my hangar when I'd find them. I don't remember the path I took specifically, but yesterday I bought out a 85x from my buy back, then applied many of the pieces of the chain to turn that into an Apollo Medivac for a bit over half price. I'm not going to lie, a LOT of small $5 & $10 CCU's were used in the process, but adding a currently $275 ship to my fleet for I believe about $150 made it worth the time & patience.

Brictoria

Rear Admiral
Apr 15, 2022
RSI Handle
Brictoria
Personally, I'd hold off on this, being that the final ship isn't flyable yet.

At present, I'd suggest that on the final day(s) of Invictus that you
Pick up a $5 CCU from something like the Cutlass Blue to Constellation Taurus, leaving a large gap from the $90 Hull A to the $175 Cutlass Blue free for the insertion of additional future CCU's
Pick up a CCU to the Retaliator Bomber or Vanguard Sentinel (which would sit after the Scorpius and save $15-$20)
Pick up a $10 CCU from the Starfarer Gemini to Valkyrie (which would save you $25)
If waiting, pick up a $25 CCU from Hammerhead to Polaris, locking in the cheap price (unless Hammerhead jumps) should the Polaris release before you fill out the gaps with additional CCU's
Plus any of the additional WB CCU's released in the next few days that fit within the gaps in the chain - Mule may potentially fit between hoverquad and Arrow, for example), or present WB avenger staker\300i\125A to 325A saving $5 could be inserted there if not.

Potentially, if you think they will release before the Polaris and think their future price may fit within other links you have, a small $5/$10/smallest possible amount CCU to each of the Legionnaire, Vulture\SRV, Apollo Triage (in place of Retaliator Bomber\Vanguard Sentinel above), Liberator, Perseus, or any other unreleased ship to lock in the saving that will occur when their prices jump.

This is the sort of ship that I would expect to release at a major event (Invictus\IAE), rather than in the down time between them, so the use of "limited" ships at ends of links shouldn't delay your ability to acquire the ship more than a week (depending on when the sales for the manufacturer's ships occur at the event).

Or, in simple terms, pay the smallest amount for a CCU, leave the largest possible gap between them for future insertion of multiple links\link options, and hold cheap links to unreleased ships which may acquire higher value on release.

Of course, I'm only new to this, though, so I can't guarantee that this is the best approach (or makes sense).

Dirtbag_Leader

Admiral
Nov 27, 2020
RSI Handle
Dirtbag_Leader
So I too am on an 'optimized' path to a Polaris, but I've set it up in such a way as to 'stop over' at some possibly fun ships to test out along the way. This plan is slightly old as I've already applied up through the Scorpius CCUs in order to have fun with that new ship for a while. Next stop will be the BMM for a while, which I'm pretty sure will drop before the Polaris does, and then also possibly the Odyssey:
1653587135274.png

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
So I too am on an 'optimized' path to a Polaris, but I've set it up in such a way as to 'stop over' at some possibly fun ships to test out along the way. This plan is slightly old as I've already applied up through the Scorpius CCUs in order to have fun with that new ship for a while. Next stop will be the BMM for a while, which I'm pretty sure will drop before the Polaris does, and then also possibly the Odyssey:
This is a great way to get the maximum out of your upgrades if you dont plan to get many ships :like:

Forgot your password?