Anyone do mini modeling?

Jul 6, 2014
RSI Handle
Salt_Lake
I decided to pick it up as a hobby for when I am away from home. I pucked up a WH40K Space wolves, because who doesnt like to fight all day and feast and drink all night. Space wolves just seemed to be the most human of the choices, other than salamanders but there is no models for them (damn racist Game Works).

I just have one problem with Space Wolves and that is all the damn wolf pelts and overly decorated armor. Wish I could rip it off and start with a basic setup.

UnderSc0re

Space Marshal
Mar 17, 2015
RSI Handle
UnderSc0re
I've got into 40K a couple times. A buddy and I did a couple painting sessions while watching old movies. He did Space Wolves and I did Crimson Fists. He's pretty artistic though so he loved the wolves. I would recommend buying some thin brushes at a hobby store and giving it a go. Don't be afraid of messing it up you can normally fix it and get a better look.

You can also try dry brushing or using a wash on the detailed parts.

These may help better:
http://www.scalemodelguide.com/painting-weathering/painting-guide/general-info-drybrushing/

Dry Brush

Wash

Also I know its an additional cost but you could try and find a cheep set of basic marines and pain them. It's what I did in college first.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Warhammer-40k-Space-Marine-Sprue-and-Bases-/221828684755?hash=item33a6051bd3

Hopefully someone more experienced can correct any technical mistakes I made.

Last edited:

SARGE

Space Marshal
Feb 13, 2015
RSI Handle
SARGE | SARGE5th
not me...I walked into a shop with my son to see if he would like to get into that sort of nerd shit...he wasn't interested either.

Zeero Kuul

Space Marshal
Jan 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Zeero_Kuul
There are a lot of bells'n'whistles for Salamanders from Forgeworld. And since you decided WH is a great hobby, don't tell me about the price. You can also go with both chapters, Wolves and Salamanders are bros for life anyway.

Jul 6, 2014
RSI Handle
Salt_Lake
not me...I walked into a shop with my son to see if he would like to get into that sort of nerd shit...he wasn't interested either.
I dont play it for the game, the painting of mini models greatly improves memory, focus, and attention to detail. Its a mental exercise for me. I would just like to paint something i like the looks of.

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
I used to play a ton back in High School/University. 4e, Orks, Kult of Speed, 1850 points. Also had a smallish (750) Tomb Kings army for WHFB.

Sold my models because fuck me, Games Workshop just GOUGES players on models. For the price of a Predator tank I could get a much much higher quality, and bigger M1 Abrahms model.

I wanna get back into it honestly but I don't need ANOTHER expensive hobby. I still read a ton of 40k books, but the hobby is terribly managed by GW. There is NO way that a fricking 10 pack or Orks or Guardsman is THIRTY DOLLARS, THREE DOLLARS a pop, or Space Marines are four each!

Not to mention GW are real dickbags when it comes to their IP. It's completely natural and understandable to want to protect your IP, but they take it waaaaaaay too far. Like LAUGHABLY saying they copyrighted the term "Space Marine". They have succesfully pulled books off of Amazon because they used the term Space Marine, in a completely non-40k setting. The term Space Marine has been in use for YEARS (Doomguy, Starship Troopers, old B-list scifi movies, etc etc).

GW has every right to copyright their Space Marines, the Adeptus Astartes. But trying to bully others into claiming you own something you didn't make is a scummy move.

Bring on the 3-D printers!

Forgot your password?