Anyone else buy a GPU?!

Doyzer

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 31, 2017
RSI Handle
Doyzer
Yeah but you've gotten to use it for 6 mths so it's not all bad.

Plus, there are people who've spent way more on a 3080 than 1400

How have you liked it so far?

I just picked up an EVGA 850w Supernova G6 PSU so I'm literally amped to try this thing out
I like the 3080 so far. I have this model: https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=12G-P5-4877-KL Works like a champ but I did have some issues with PSU.

I had a newer (I think) Seasonic Focus 850w PSU but older ones had issues https://linustechtips.com/topic/1093286-why-you-shouldnt-buy-a-seasonic-focus-plus-goldplatinum/

When under heavy load (playing SC) my entire PC would shut off. So it was one of the following issues:
  1. PSU overheated (GPU and CPU (12900k) never got above 85 when I checked)
  2. Transient power spikes tripped it
  3. Bad PSU
  4. I used two PCI-E cables instead of 3 cables https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/kab97n View: https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/kab97n/evga_geforce_rtx_3080_ftw3_ultra_power_cable_setup/
  5. Bad PCI-E cables
Eventually, I sent PSU back and got a 1000w PSU instead and have no issues

Reactions: White Lando

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
Rumor is that due to overproduction of the 40xx series chips and backstock of 30xx, NV is pushing back the launch of 40xx cards. They gotten real greedy seeing what happened with the 30xx launch as evidenced by their refusal to produce more 30xx cards during the shortage, so they will try for more artificial scarcity with the 40xx cards. I'm not a fan of this but they still are the only real option if you do more than just game with your card.
I'm curious to see what the pricing is on the 40xx cards.

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
I like the 3080 so far. I have this model: https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=12G-P5-4877-KL Works like a champ but I did have some issues with PSU.

I had a newer (I think) Seasonic Focus 850w PSU but older ones had issues https://linustechtips.com/topic/1093286-why-you-shouldnt-buy-a-seasonic-focus-plus-goldplatinum/

When under heavy load (playing SC) my entire PC would shut off. So it was one of the following issues:
  1. PSU overheated (GPU and CPU (12900k) never got above 85 when I checked)
  2. Transient power spikes tripped it
  3. Bad PSU
  4. I used two PCI-E cables instead of 3 cables https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/kab97n View: https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/kab97n/evga_geforce_rtx_3080_ftw3_ultra_power_cable_setup/
  5. Bad PCI-E cables
Eventually, I sent PSU back and got a 1000w PSU instead and have no issues
now you have me worried.... i only have an 850w atm also is this problem only for the evga ones?

Doyzer

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 31, 2017
RSI Handle
Doyzer
Evga 3080 ftws use 3 8 pins. Some people have no issues. I forgot to mention I had psu fans on top so it pulled air from inside case. So, that might have caused issues.

White Lando

Vice Admiral
Donor
Nov 25, 2021
RSI Handle
White_Lando
I agree 1440 makes for a pretty nice sweet spot, though in addition to the pixel height you also need to give consideration to the WIDTH, as you get more choices there! Obviously I subscribe to the 'wider is better' mentality, so my take is 4k be damned and the Samsung G9 is the best gaming monitor money can buy right now. I was (at the time, 2019) willing to drop down to 120hz and 2ms GTG in order to get the monster 32:9 aspect ratio. If that seems a bit TOO extreme for you though, I'd still strongly suggest you consider the 21:9 options. A 3080 will cut 3440x1440 at >120hz, and is quite glorious!
Now that I've done a little more research, 32:9 1440p is probably going to happen. That G9 is expensive but I deserve it. :drunk:

White Lando

Vice Admiral
Donor
Nov 25, 2021
RSI Handle
White_Lando
now you have me worried.... i only have an 850w atm also is this problem only for the evga ones?
Have you looked into undervolting? Really cuts down on the heat/draw while maintaining or increasing performance (dependding on the silicone of the card). Lots of vids on YouTube.

It's basically the opposite of overclocking but can increase performance because these Nvidia cards can be so heat sensitive. Some of them are running on too high of a mV stock and will hit a wall that forces them to slower speeds for a short time before ramping back up and hitting the wall again etc etc.

Undervolting keeps them from hitting that wall so they can maintain (and sometimes achieve) a higher speed than stock.

Plus, the card will run way cooler. I've seen a few examples of cards going from 82C to 64C while generating better FPS.

Highly recommend looking into it if you haven't already.

Reactions: Lorddarthvik

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
Have you looked into undervolting? Really cuts down on the heat/draw while maintaining or increasing performance (dependding on the silicone of the card). Lots of vids on YouTube.

It's basically the opposite of overclocking but can increase performance because these Nvidia cards can be so heat sensitive. Some of them are running on too high of a mV stock and will hit a wall that forces them to slower speeds for a short time before ramping back up and hitting the wall again etc etc.

Undervolting keeps them from hitting that wall so they can maintain (and sometimes achieve) a higher speed than stock.

Plus, the card will run way cooler. I've seen a few examples of cards going from 82C to 64C while generating better FPS.

Highly recommend looking into it if you haven't already.
I haven't got my graphics card yet I've been using my CPU based intel graphics card for the time being and its 5x better than what my Alienware laptop could do lol. As for optimization i might end up paying someone do to all that for me I've been given a few recommendations on who to have do this online.(unless there is someone here willing to do it)

Sky Captain

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 13, 2018
RSI Handle
TheSkyCaptain
I'm trying my darndest to hold off until the Squadron 42 release before picking up a new PC. But man, I'm starting to feel the urge. While I keep a newer laptop, I've been running what is now a seven year old Falcon Northwest Intel 6700 Titan-X based desktop that I do my gaming on. It still handles most games quite well. But I've been starting to follow hardware trends again and am getting envious! I'll at least hold off for the GeForce 4000 series. But is anyone aware of any truly landmark technology leaps on the near term horizon that are worth holding off even longer for?

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
I'm trying my darndest to hold off until the Squadron 42 release before picking up a new PC. But man, I'm starting to feel the urge. While I keep a newer laptop, I've been running what is now a seven year old Falcon Northwest Intel 6700 Titan-X based desktop that I do my gaming on. It still handles most games quite well. But I've been starting to follow hardware trends again and am getting envious! I'll at least hold off for the GeForce 4000 series. But is anyone aware of any truly landmark technology leaps on the near term horizon that are worth holding off even longer for?
i feel like the 40xx series is going to be a blunder just lik ethe 10, 20, and 30 series. that is why i went ahead and jumped on the deal i got. i can always upgrade in the future to a 60 or 70 series when they come out.

White Lando

Vice Admiral
Donor
Nov 25, 2021
RSI Handle
White_Lando
I'd say DDR5 isn't quite there yet but will be the obvious choice in a year or so. Monitors, CPUs, GPUs are constantly making leaps.

The hardware available right now is pretty insane, though. It depends on what you're after. 4k gaming? Waiting a bit longer makes a lot of sense. Happy with 1440p (like I am)? The hardware is already available to crank out 100+ fps on ultra settings.

But there's always bigger and better on the horizon. Taking the plunge always sucks until you're fully submerged.

Forgot your password?