Anyone gaming with fixed wireless internet?

Schmunkel

Space Marshal
Jul 2, 2014
RSI Handle
schmunkel
I'm moving soon to a new area that may only have fixed wireless internet. Any testies using this now? I'm trying to figure out what this connection is like for gaming as far as latency. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Eiyron

Space Marshal
Jan 24, 2015
RSI Handle
Eiyron
Wireless internet is never a great solution for gaming. check how far you are from the transition tower (if it does come from a tower).

Expect high packet loss, high latency and ping Jitter.

glockjs

Space Marshal
Feb 26, 2015
RSI Handle
glockjs
i really don't think it will be all that bad weather depending. it will probably be a smite slower than the traditional hard wire but not horrible. i think you will be able to tell us more than we can tell you after :D

Schmunkel

Space Marshal
Jul 2, 2014
RSI Handle
schmunkel
Still trying to hunt down alternatives, but I think I may have to use over the air until something like U-verse comes to my area.

Krystal LeChuck

Meme Meister
Staff member
Officer
Jun 10, 2014
RSI Handle
Krystal
My brother was gaming with a 4G connection for a few months until DSL came to his neighborhood. It was really bad in terms of ping and packet loss for really fast paced FPS games (such as CS) but still not game breaking. I don't know how that relates to a fixed wireless tower but just my 2c.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
You will not be plaing CS:GO any time soon.

You will be able to play everything else that does not require small ping.

PiNgU

Lieutenant
Jan 7, 2016
RSI Handle
PiNgUpeguin
you could look into powerline its not as good as ethernet but better than wireless they are relatively easy pretty much plug and play and some really good models are 50 to 70 dollars but there might be a problem if you live in a older building but there might be less packet loss in games

Yex

Space Marshal
Mar 15, 2015
RSI Handle
Yex
I've seen a global elite ace on csgo with +150ping

If you're good, ping doesn't matter. It'll be fine I used to play on 3G and still play on wireless with 30ping to this day

Forgot your password?