Anyone got a GPU for sale? Mine shit the bed :\

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
I have to be honest the looney prices for GPU has stopped me bothering to upgrade my pc hence I do not play star citizen. I do hope they get a bit more reasonable.
It's actually not too bad at all as long as you stay out of the bitcoin batch of cards. The 1050ti is an excellent choice and can get you by, even in SC. It's not top of the line but it will work. I just picked one off Amazon new for $148. The last one I bought was just shy of $200 and is currently running my daughter's gaming rig and runs SC "decently". Just make sure you have no other bottlenecks...

I use two graphics cards at the moment and will be using it to power my two side screens. I am being forced to upgrade the previous 660ti that was at this task since it no longer shares drivers with my main card (as of this latest driver). My main screen runs off a gtx1080 that I was lucky to pick up in that narrow window between release and bitcoin price explosion.

It seems to me (and I could be wrong) that the new generation of video games aren't that much harder to render than slightly older games. They are just loading more and more into your view. By that I mean that a blade of grass is no more difficult to render on a 2018 game than it was on a 2010 game. Newer games just render thousands more blades of grass.

For example, I just upgraded my wife's two SLI 660ti's to a single gtx 1070 last year. There was little to no difference in performance. What made a huge difference though, was the year before when I upgraded her to a SSD (from a WD raptor disk drive) and 32gb of ram (up from 8gb). Like I said, I could be wrong. However, it seems to me that GPUs have hit a plateau and even older cards are still very valid.

Just my $0.02.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
SC is so CPU/Network bound and optimised at the mo that the GFX card gets an easy time and you can get away with less power.

I tell you what I'll do I got a 1080ti in my main rig, I'll pull it and fit a pair of 1050(non ti) out of my other rigs and see what the performance is like. I'll take a few screenies for u. If it can be played fine on a single 1050 then that's cool.

Reactions: Radegast74

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt
SC is so CPU/Network bound and optimised at the mo that the GFX card gets an easy time and you can get away with less power.

I tell you what I'll do I got a 1080ti in my main rig, I'll pull it and fit a pair of 1050(non ti) out of my other rigs and see what the performance is like. I'll take a few screenies for u. If it can be played fine on a single 1050 then that's cool.
yeah biggest jump in fps I have seen is from cpu upgrade (my 1700 when i first got it was blowing everyone out of the water fps wise in SC) I believe currently intel and amd are about even as long as you have a upper tier one with a good amount of cores, like a 1600 up amd or a i7 (7700 or 8700) intel. gpu wise SC only ever uses like 40% no matter what gpu i use so theres that :P

my point being i would not worry about buying a gpu for sc but rather getting a gpu for current games that does the job now and not the best of the best unless thats what you need for current games :D

Forgot your password?