Anyone into Airsoft?

RiceMaiden

Admiral
Jan 21, 2017
RSI Handle
RiceMaiden
I got invited to a private event later this month. Figured I'd buy a gun and try it out. CYMA AK-74U and I threw on a PS0-1 scope I had laying around (people have those just laying around, right?). Not sure how into the sport I might get but it looks like it should be a ton of fun.

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
Are these those 3d printed guns people are making these days? Ive never heard of airsoft before sounds similar to paintball but more painful lol.

Reactions: Ammorn and StdDev

Stevetank

Lead Aurora Theorycrafter
Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Stevetank
I used to airsoft. It's fun. The reason I don't now is because of time.

CYMA is alright. They used to be crappy but they have improved their products over the years. Probably the best cost to performance ratio I can think of :)

I have a PKM, M240 Bravo, L86, and L85 with a few scopes jyst lying around.

Good range for an AEG (automatic electric gun) is 200'. Ok range is 150'. CQB range is 100', and anything less than that is melee :)

I aim for 250+' for my guns since machine gunners don't run and jump like a fawn in a meadow. I'm more like a graceful elephant.

You should have a lot of fun. Airsoft is a little more expensive to start but cheaper to keep going compared to paintball. A good airsoft gun costs $250 to $350. A great one can be $400+, but you can always upgrade your other guns over time to make them great. A case of paintballs is $70 but 5,000 bbs are $20 and can last 2 whole days of fun. (Unless you are a machine gunner and 5,000 is only 1 box mag which you are determined to empty every match)

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
I used to do it once upon a time. Kinda stopped due to time restrictions and getting annoyed by young players not calling their hits. (If you don't call your hits, somebody is going to shoot you directly in the teeth; and you'll deserve it)

I used to lug around a balls-to-the-wall upgraded Barrett M99 sniper rifle [body by SnowWolf]. That thing fired 8mm bbs and would hit like a Mack truck. 477 fps with .8s. Ouch-town.

Stevetank

Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Stevetank
I used to do it once upon a time. Kinda stopped due to time restrictions and getting annoyed by young players not calling their hits. (If you don't call your hits, somebody is going to shoot you directly in the teeth; and you'll deserve it)

I used to lug around a balls-to-the-wall upgraded Barrett M99 sniper rifle [body by SnowWolf]. That thing fired 8mm bbs and would hit like a Mack truck. 477 fps with .8s. Ouch-town.
I shoot 375 fps with .20s. Mostly because I fire 25 bbs per second, so If I don't see their hand go up, I keep shooting and every second that goes by is a potential 25 more hits.

477 with .8s is very illegal where I am. We chrono everything with .20s and a sniper should have 450 to 550 with those. Heavier bbs lower the fps but are less affected by wind. If you took a gun chronoed with .20s at 550, it would shoot at 300 or less fps, ha. Having your fire at 477 with .8s is murder, lol. :)

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
I shoot 375 fps with .20s. Mostly because I fire 25 bbs per second, so If I don't see their hand go up, I keep shooting and every second that goes by is a potential 25 more hits.

477 with .8s is very illegal where I am. We chrono everything with .20s and a sniper should have 450 to 550 with those. Heavier bbs lower the fps but are less affected by wind. If you took a gun chronoed with .20s at 550, it would shoot at 300 or less fps, ha. Having your fire at 477 with .8s is murder, lol. :slight_smile:
Oh yeah, it was definitely a special case that they allowed me to use it (Friends with the guy who owned the field, and he knew that I'm not a dumbass) My minimum engagement distance was 200' and it STILL hit like a punch at that distance. (I also generally ran with it @ about 400 with the lighter spring, but thats still dangerous with .8s) The logic behind it was that if i had to lug around a 14 pound .50 cal, its gonna hit like one. That thing could have been downright deadly at point blank. But oooh baby, 610mm long 8.01 Dee's custom barrel with a spring that I literally crafted myself using my college's CNC shop. After a lot of trial and error, I ended up building a custom hop-up assembly to put the right spin on the round without shattering it in the barrel (for about 3 months, it was a REALLY expensive fragment shotgun with a range of about 5 feet)

All in all, a horribly impractical and seldom used rule-of-cool gun.(kinda one of those build it to see if i CAN sort of things) 5/7 would build it again. "nowadays", I prefer my custom G&G M14 with KWA innards. 590mm 6.02 madbull barrel with what im sure is an outdated hop-up. That sweet sweet child purrs like a hooker in love. Had it shooting at 395 fps on the DOT. Man....i used to spend way more time working on my guns than i did actually playing with them. I miss airsoft now.

Stevetank

Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Stevetank
Oh yeah, it was definitely a special case that they allowed me to use it (Friends with the guy who owned the field, and he knew that I'm not a dumbass) My minimum engagement distance was 200' and it STILL hit like a punch at that distance. (I also generally ran with it @ about 400 with the lighter spring, but thats still dangerous with .8s) The logic behind it was that if i had to lug around a 14 pound .50 cal, its gonna hit like one. That thing could have been downright deadly at point blank. But oooh baby, 610mm long 8.01 Dee's custom barrel with a spring that I literally crafted myself using my college's CNC shop. After a lot of trial and error, I ended up building a custom hop-up assembly to put the right spin on the round without shattering it in the barrel (for about 3 months, it was a REALLY expensive fragment shotgun with a range of about 5 feet)

All in all, a horribly impractical and seldom used rule-of-cool gun.(kinda one of those build it to see if i CAN sort of things) 5/7 would build it again. "nowadays", I prefer my custom G&G M14 with KWA innards. 590mm 6.02 madbull barrel with what im sure is an outdated hop-up. That sweet sweet child purrs like a hooker in love. Had it shooting at 395 fps on the DOT. Man....i used to spend way more time working on my guns than i did actually playing with them. I miss airsoft now.
My first airsoft rifle was the G&G M14. That gun had the sweetest 'click-clack' out of all the rifles. I was picked second one time just because of it.

" Tony! I pick Tony!"
"I need Jacob."
"Lets see... Who to pick?"
CLICK-CLACK!
"That guy! I need that guy!"

So many one handed run and gun kills with it too. If you stuck a large battery in the back, it became well balanced. Great for sneaking up on pricks :)

I ran that from 2011 till 2013 when I got the PKM. Sent the M14 off to a real Texan for him to love. I miss that gun but I love the L86 better. 610mm inner barrel inside of a 36" long gun? Yes please!

Seagon

Captain
Nov 28, 2016
RSI Handle
Seagon
Airsoft is fun, though i really need to play more often than i do now.

I've always been into the less popular model guns, started with a Steyr AUG A3 and a 1911 sidearm, later i got a shell eject Remington 870 replica to add for the shotgun matches, awesome thing right there and a P90.
I changed it around a bit now, more focusing on tac-milsim, night ops, CQB etc. and replaced my AUG for a SCAR-H which i later traded in for a SVU (Short, bullpup Dragunov).

My final addition is a Glock 18c (semi and full auto). Modded it with upgraded internals and a Tritium sight for night / low light.

Here in the Netherlands we have stricter rules, we only legalized (yes, legalized) airsoft since January of 2013 and it's still fairly young here, but it's coming along nicely with multiple disciplines.
Here we aren't allowed to have a higher muzzle velocity than 3,5 joule (which is a lot to be fair), we're only allowed to have replica's that can fire 6mm bb's (no other diameters are listed) and for fields we have the standard rules that replica's with automatic capability are not allowed to fire above 360FPS (not even with the selector on semi or burst), single shot (or DMR) allowed up to 450FPS and bolt action sniper rifles are allowed up to 500 FPS.
We also have distance rules, less than 15m distance snipers need to use the sidearm or shout their shots, any other velocity is less than 5m (including sidearms).

I really love it, and recently i got my loadout ready, mostly i am running with the Glock, P90 and CAM870, but i need to get the hang of filling the shotshell cartridges properly as they are easily undercharged.

So yeah, i airsoft like i pledge SC :p High admiral before realizing it hehe.

Reactions: Ammorn

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
My first airsoft rifle was the G&G M14. That gun had the sweetest 'click-clack' out of all the rifles. I was picked second one time just because of it.

" Tony! I pick Tony!"
"I need Jacob."
"Lets see... Who to pick?"
CLICK-CLACK!
"That guy! I need that guy!"

So many one handed run and gun kills with it too. If you stuck a large battery in the back, it became well balanced. Great for sneaking up on pricks :slight_smile:

I ran that from 2011 till 2013 when I got the PKM. Sent the M14 off to a real Texan for him to love. I miss that gun but I love the L86 better. 610mm inner barrel inside of a 36" long gun? Yes please!
HAH! The CLICK-CLACK is EXACTLY why I bought the G&G too! So goddamn satisfying for "surrender kills" too. Casually walk up behind some blokes in a bunker CLICK-CLACK "evening, gents."

Forgot your password?