Are there any TEST Mountain Bikers out there?

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
Not a rider by myself but love a good walk in some park....
That place you ware looks amasing to explore, sad that day was a bit cloudy, with a good sun and some fresh air it will be more awsome!

Reactions: Vavrik and UbEcLoWn

UbEcLoWn

Space Marshal
Jun 13, 2014
RSI Handle
UbEcLoWn
Not a rider by myself but love a good walk in some park....
That place you ware looks amasing to explore, sad that day was a bit cloudy, with a good sun and some fresh air it will be more awsome!
I know right! Yesterday I was out in Granite Bay. Rain in the morning but sunshine in the afternoon. It was 65 degrees by the time I was done riding. SOOOO nice. Gotta love these California winters.

Reactions: Vavrik

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
So I've been riding a few years now and finally decided to start documenting my rides and adventures. Give it a like if you dig it.

If you live in California let's ride!
I used to ride in summer to train for skiing in Winter. Both were a lot of fun. I'm kind of jealous, because I would love to take a ride like we used to again. It's not in the cards unless I ride an exercise bike and watch landscape videos nowadays.

Reactions: Bambooza

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I used to ride in summer to train for skiing in Winter. Both were a lot of fun. I'm kind of jealous, because I would love to take a ride like we used to again. It's not in the cards unless I ride an exercise bike and watch landscape videos nowadays.
Sounds like a solution would be VR. I wonder if there are any landscape/circuit VR maps for bikes... Hum.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Yes I love MTB but I've been very lazy and slack over the last 2 years - in fact I have not been out on my bike for over 1 year. That's very sad and one of the reasons I am getting fat!

Hi Five MTB friends!!!

My trusty Steed:

P1000797.JPG

Reactions: Bambooza and Vavrik

UbEcLoWn

Space Marshal
Jun 13, 2014
RSI Handle
UbEcLoWn
Yes I love MTB but I've been very lazy and slack over the last 2 years - in fact I have not been out on my bike for over 1 year. That's very sad and one of the reasons I am getting fat!

Hi Five MTB friends!!!

My trusty Steed:

View attachment 14870
Get back on that beast! There's so many damned good trails these days. And there are lots of youtubers to get you motivated to ride. Watch BKXC or Single Track Sampler and try not to get pumped to go out and ride!

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Sounds like a solution would be VR. I wonder if there are any landscape/circuit VR maps for bikes... Hum.
I need it to run on a monitor rather than in a VR headset, though I tried a Oculus Rift and a HTC Vive. Artificially created 3d is disorienting to me. I just turn my PC monitor and watch youtube or something from my PC, it's enough and it gives me something to do rather than "a drink and a snack" as one of my favorite youtubers says. AR as opposed to VR might do the trick, but it hasn't advanced far enough for this yet.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Artificially created 3d is disorienting to me
Indeed it is. But mostly I think it's due mostly to games that are used to mouse/keyboard controls or player movement coupled with 3d camera bob motion blur and other current graphics must-haves. So if it's just a 3d world where you move along a road by pedaling and the camera is fixed to your head movement I wonder if it would have the same disorienting effect.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Indeed it is. But mostly I think it's due mostly to games that are used to mouse/keyboard controls or player movement coupled with 3d camera bob motion blur and other current graphics must-haves. So if it's just a 3d world where you move along a road by pedaling and the camera is fixed to your head movement I wonder if it would have the same disorienting effect.
Those aren't necessarily must haves, at least not to the level that many games show - including SC. For example, if you sit down in a chair, then stand up. Now compare what you saw in real life with what you see in SC when you stand up in a ship. Something between 70-90% of the movement in SC is not dampened the way it is in real life. What the game developers have done is to give you a camera view, but that's not what you see. It is the difference between vision and sight.

Sky Captain

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 13, 2018
RSI Handle
TheSkyCaptain
Excellent video!

I used to mountain bike more when I lived in Austin. Until one fateful day when I came up fast over a rise and the front wheel lifted up off the forks. Not sure what the hell happened. But the next thing I knew I flipped over the handle bars as the forks hit the ground, and when I looked up three women where standing there on the trail asking me if i was alive. Most embarrasing!

These days I confne my rides to more leisurely trails near the house near Sandia Peak in Albuquerque. But I've been a slacker and need to get back out there. Thanks for the motivation!

Reactions: Vavrik and UbEcLoWn

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Those aren't necessarily must haves, at least not to the level that many games show - including SC. For example, if you sit down in a chair, then stand up. Now compare what you saw in real life with what you see in SC when you stand up in a ship. Something between 70-90% of the movement in SC is not dampened the way it is in real life. What the game developers have done is to give you a camera view, but that's not what you see. It is the difference between vision and sight.
I think we are talking the same thing. As I was saying the camera cinematic experience that many current game developer is attempting to achieve is not very conducive to a VR experience.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I think we are talking the same thing. As I was saying the camera cinematic experience that many current game developer is attempting to achieve is not very conducive to a VR experience.
Yep, I think you got it. If you are using a monitor, you have references that tell your brain that your OK, like the side of the monitor or your desk, the wall etc. In VR the problem is all you can see is the graphic image - and there isn't really a way to turn off the sensitivity to movement. Our eyes are naturally drawn to it, and that would be incredibly disorienting unless it is dampened. And your ears are involved too. If your eyes sense movement you're ears don't also notice (or vice versa) that is a major cause of vertigo. It can be incredibly disabling.

Forgot your password?